Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Donning Facepiece

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Your still going to be wasting air by holding your breath. Your lungs are going to want more air on your first breath in and un-clicking would waste more time then just waiting to click in. (I mean you would be clicking then un-clicking then clicking) As for keeping things close helmet hangs around the neck. No chance of it getting kicked away.

Also yes I understand that mistakes can happen but if other firefighters arent watching there steps enough to not kick someones helmet away from them. I think there being sloppy and need to watch there foot placement a little better on the fireground.

I just really see no real advantage to this method. Only disadvantage because like I said the last thing you do before you go in is click in on air. Just the same as you don't want to free flow air when you un-click.
    Sorry, this is rookie reasoning...you see a lot of rookies do that^^^no offense to you, but I can tell you haven't had many years on, or had a lot of fire duty.

If you notice the cities that do a good deal of fire duty, especially in the northeast or even Chicago...the facepiece is put on with the regulator already attached and taken off same. In the FDNY the SCBA is treated as a single unit, the entire thing is called the "mask".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    When it comes to the mask's, I'm riding officer or Can-Man on the Ladder.
    Riding officer... OR ....can?

How and why exactly does it work that way that you are one or the other? My reason for asking is that traditionally, the hook and can is the newer or least-senior ff who will stay with the officer while locating the seat of the fire, being a position usually left for the newer members to gain experience following the officer, while at the same time being under his watchful eye. Going from either officer or that is just a funny progression. Just curious how it works there for you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    Riding officer... OR ....can?

How and why exactly does it work that way that you are one or the other? My reason for asking is that traditionally, the hook and can is the newer or least-senior ff who will stay with the officer while locating the seat of the fire, being a position usually left for the newer members to gain experience following the officer, while at the same time being under his watchful eye. Going from either officer or that is just a funny progression. Just curious how it works there for you.
    If you really want to puke ask him to see pictures of his rigs.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    Sorry, this is rookie reasoning...you see a lot of rookies do that^^^no offense to you, but I can tell you haven't had many years on, or had a lot of fire duty.

If you notice the cities that do a good deal of fire duty, especially in the northeast or even Chicago...the facepiece is put on with the regulator already attached and taken off same. In the FDNY the SCBA is treated as a single unit, the entire thing is called the "mask".
    Hey just remember the rookie isn't always wrong.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    dear god that is retarded
    it appears youtube has more whackers than firehouse.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Hey just remember the rookie isn't always wrong.
    But you are this time. You still aren't understanding what anyone is telling you. If you don't mask up until you go in then what air are you wasting? You're gloves and helmet should all be on already anyway. No need to take your gloves off to mask up.

Remember a lot of us replying to you on here work for running departments where we do it often.(DC, NY, Fairfax, etc) I'm pretty sure we have an idea what we're doing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    But you are this time. You still aren't understanding what anyone is telling you. If you don't mask up until you go in then what air are you wasting? You're gloves and helmet should all be on already anyway. No need to take your gloves off to mask up.

Remember a lot of us replying to you on here work for running departments where we do it often.(DC, NY, Fairfax, etc) I'm pretty sure we have an idea what we're doing.
    Um, excuse me, but this is the interent. Real world experience counts for nothing here.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information