Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Donning Facepiece

Forum Member

Default Donning Facepiece

I'm looking for a video or picture display of the technique on how to don a facepiece by hanging your helmet on your arm by the chinstrap.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prydentradition View Post
    I'm looking for a video or picture display of the technique on how to don a facepiece by hanging your helmet on your arm by the chinstrap.
    Never heard of that one.....I always just lay my lid down, upside down, on the front stairs or in the hallway or wherever I intend to mask up, then thread the chinstrap and plug in.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I know I've seen a video or picture series that illustrates the technique. I was having trouble explaining it to a buddy of mine today and wanted to forward him a video or something so he could see it.

Here's how it works:
    The regulator is attached to the facepiece hanging to the side.
    Your helmet is on your head with the chinstrap buckled but loose.
    You take the facepiece in your left hand and put it to your face.
    You then take your right hand and pull the helmet over top of your facepiece and let it hang in the crook of your left arm by the chin strap. (You have to make sure your chin strap is long enough... a lot of the newer ones won't work and you'll have to retrofit a longer strap onto the helmet.)
    You use your right hand to pull the head harness over top of your head and then pull the hood over that.
    Then you simply take the helmet an put it back on and cinch down the chin strap.
    This allows you to don the facepiece with it attached to the regulator and never having to mess with your chinstrap, or with disconnecting the regulator to get the chinstrap on, or laying your helmet on the ground.
    It's a great technique with a little practice...10-15 seconds I'd say...

Forum Member

just drop the helmet off the back of your head and let the chinstrap hang off your neck. mask, hood, helmet up and pull the strap tight on your chin and GO.

Forum Member

I know I've seen a video or picture series that illustrates the technique. I was having trouble explaining it to a buddy of mine today and wanted to forward him a video or something so he could see it.

Here's how it works:
    The regulator is attached to the facepiece hanging to the side.
    Your helmet is on your head with the chinstrap buckled but loose.
    You take the facepiece in your left hand and put it to your face.
    You then take your right hand and pull the helmet over top of your facepiece and let it hang in the crook of your left arm by the chin strap. (You have to make sure your chin strap is long enough... a lot of the newer ones won't work and you'll have to retrofit a longer strap onto the helmet.)
    You use your right hand to pull the head harness over top of your head and then pull the hood over that.
    Then you simply take the helmet an put it back on and cinch down the chin strap.
    This allows you to don the facepiece with it attached to the regulator and never having to mess with your chinstrap, or with disconnecting the regulator to get the chinstrap on, or laying your helmet on the ground.
    It's a great technique with a little practice...10-15 seconds I'd say...
    But why waste that air your breathing from your bottle while your putting on your hood and helmet? Last thing you should do is click in your regulator.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

I'm not a fan of leaving the mask connected to the regulator. It has the potential to swing around and get damaged. I try to keep the regulator in the belt mounted cradle, but I'm not saying that I always do. That is a good quick technique though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    But why waste that air your breathing from your bottle while your putting on your hood and helmet? Last thing you should do is click in your regulator.

This is the technique I use to mask up, the simple answer is to hold your breath. If that doesn't work for you, you can un-click your regulator when you are done. This technique allows you to keep all of your PPE in close to your body and eliminates the potential for it to be kicked away or lost.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

You beat me to it Ladder2EKU... Just hold your breath. Where I run, if you put your helmet on the ground it might get "kicked" away... and I was never good at getting the quickclip of the chinstrap plugged in with gloved hands...

Forum Member

You beat me to it Ladder2EKU... Just hold your breath. Where I run, if you put your helmet on the ground it might get "kicked" away... and I was never good at getting the quickclip of the chinstrap plugged in with gloved hands...
    or mask up, take your first breath, and ensure you have air, then unclick the reg, Viola!

I could careless if it gets kicked. we have fire ants in florida, I dont like to put anything I wear on the ground, especially at night.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    just drop the helmet off the back of your head and let the chinstrap hang off your neck. mask, hood, helmet up and pull the strap tight on your chin and GO.
    like so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnV5B...eature=related

pratice with gloves on and your good to go

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwright367 View Post
    I'm not a fan of leaving the mask connected to the regulator. It has the potential to swing around and get damaged. I try to keep the regulator in the belt mounted cradle, but I'm not saying that I always do. That is a good quick technique though.
    Also, the mask ends up being a funnel for anything that gets blown around. Great face full occasionally.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAQuHQZNfqY

not the best demo but around the 5 minute mark you can get the gist of it. I remember seeing this technique in a magazine a couple of years ago but I believe the FDNY has been teaching this in the academy for a while now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Also, the mask ends up being a funnel for anything that gets blown around. Great face full occasionally.
    just make it a habit that if your not wearing it a while before you don it to blast your bypass real quick to blow out the junk so you dont inhale it.

Forum Member

Check Traditions Training's youtube page
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

As much as I'd like to explore into new techniques and ways of donning the SCBA, our pack's are mounted in our seats, so thats on that way.

When it comes to the mask's, I'm riding officer or Can-Man on the Ladder. Eather way, in a structure fire, I'm one of the first in the door, if possible. If I have confirmation, I mask up on the truck, plug in later. I function completely fine with a mask on outside a building, so it works for me. Same for car-fires, I leave the truck with a mask on to reduce the danger. I've seen Mag blow pretty far off a dashboard into the group of non-masked firefighters.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LADDER2EKU View Post
    This is the technique I use to mask up, the simple answer is to hold your breath. If that doesn't work for you, you can un-click your regulator when you are done. This technique allows you to keep all of your PPE in close to your body and eliminates the potential for it to be kicked away or lost.
    Your still going to be wasting air by holding your breath. Your lungs are going to want more air on your first breath in and un-clicking would waste more time then just waiting to click in. (I mean you would be clicking then un-clicking then clicking) As for keeping things close helmet hangs around the neck. No chance of it getting kicked away.

Also yes I understand that mistakes can happen but if other firefighters arent watching there steps enough to not kick someones helmet away from them. I think there being sloppy and need to watch there foot placement a little better on the fireground.

I just really see no real advantage to this method. Only disadvantage because like I said the last thing you do before you go in is click in on air. Just the same as you don't want to free flow air when you un-click.
    RIP Hela

Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

This is how I was taught and it seems to work well for me.

Forum Member

Your still going to be wasting air by holding your breath. Your lungs are going to want more air on your first breath in and un-clicking would waste more time then just waiting to click in. (I mean you would be clicking then un-clicking then clicking) As for keeping things close helmet hangs around the neck. No chance of it getting kicked away.

Also yes I understand that mistakes can happen but if other firefighters arent watching there steps enough to not kick someones helmet away from them. I think there being sloppy and need to watch there foot placement a little better on the fireground.

I just really see no real advantage to this method. Only disadvantage because like I said the last thing you do before you go in is click in on air. Just the same as you don't want to free flow air when you un-click.
    I don't think you get it. Yes, you will need to take a breath eventually but it should only take 10-15 seconds to mask up this way. If you can't hold your breath for the 5 seconds that it takes to strap down your helmet then you need to get in better shape.

The only way your argument makes sense is if you mask up at the piece or something and then keep your mask on while doing other things before encountering heavy smoke. That's just another problem completely.

Forum Member

like so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnV5B...eature=related

pratice with gloves on and your good to go
    dear god that is retarded
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Thats what I do, works fine

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    As much as I'd like to explore into new techniques and ways of donning the SCBA, our pack's are mounted in our seats, so thats on that way.

When it comes to the mask's, I'm riding officer or Can-Man on the Ladder. Eather way, in a structure fire, I'm one of the first in the door, if possible. If I have confirmation, I mask up on the truck, plug in later. I function completely fine with a mask on outside a building, so it works for me. Same for car-fires, I leave the truck with a mask on to reduce the danger. I've seen Mag blow pretty far off a dashboard into the group of non-masked firefighters.
    meh. .
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

This is the closest technique that I have seen to what the OP is describing too. Interesting idea though...
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    dear god that is retarded
    yes but I needed it to demostrate the helmet placement.
    Last edited by LeatherHed4Life; 08-03-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Forum Member

Not to sound arrogant, but when I am done masking up at the door, I don't stand there and wait...I go to work. If your standing there waiting for any substantial amount of time your doing something wrong most likely.
    BLSboy likes this.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LADDER2EKU View Post
    Not to sound arrogant, but when I am done masking up at the door, I don't stand there and wait...I go to work. If your standing there waiting for any substantial amount of time your doing something wrong most likely.
    Not spending a substandtial amount of time at the door. Just very last thing I do is click on air. I want my hood and helmet and gloves on already. I don't want to waste a single bit of air. Because that air pack on your back is your life and that one little bit of air could be the bit of air that gets you out. Just saying.
    RIP Hela

Martin Luther King, Jr

Thread Information