Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Globe Gear Experience?

Just met with a Globe Distributor. Talked with him about an hour about different materials and styles. We are in the process of applying for a grant with a local company to upgrade turnouts that date back to 1997-98. He is going to work up a quote for me with the G-Excel and the Classix series. This gear is for my volunteer department. We currently have Janesville/Lion at both my career and volunteer dept. We have been having problems out of the career gear which is the Liberty series. The velcro in the crotch area and the velcro for the jacket wear it zips on the back of the collar is coming out. The gear is dated 2007. Other than that it has been pretty good. Globe just seems to be better manufactured. I am hoping the grant comes through. Anybody have any experience with the G-Excel and Classix series? Prices? While he was here I had to buy a pair of the Globe Boots. They are pretty nice.

Believe we are looking at the following:

Advance Shell
    Caldura NP Thermal
    Gore RT7100 or Crosstech 2 layer Moisture Barrier-Can't remember

Looking to keep it under $1400 for jacket and pants.

We've been 100% Globe since an AFG grant in 2003, and in G-Excel since it came out. We're very happy with durability, fit, features, everything. We use an Advance outer shell and Crosstech barrier. I think pricing is pretty doggone competitive.

I think you'd be happy with it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Been in Globe for a majority of my career here. Good gear wears and fits well. Factory is a little over an hour away. VERY satisfied with the product. T.c.

We love our Globe gear.

We selected Globe G-Excel over MP and Lion V-Force after a wear test. We have been very happy with our Globe gear since.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

at my department we use the g-extremes and they are great.

We have been transitioning to G-Xtreme and absolutely love it. When wearing it, doesn't feel like turnout gear at all.

We have Advance outershell with the Dragonhide reinforcements/knees/cuffs and Silizone knee pads.

I'll check later for the exact specs.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

My career department is all Globe now. We have had good experience with it.

It doesn't fit like my Morning Pride though.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I've worn all three. I love my morning pride. Janesville is a distant second. Its tough to break in, and the velcro comes off. Once its broken in though it wears really nice. Globe follows far behind in third. We just got it on a grant 2 years ago. To me it feels heavy, bulky, and just doesn't wear as nice as the others.

Get a set of test gear if you can and give it to an active guy. See what he thinks. I guarantee the morning pride will be the favorite.

As far as the boots I had heard a rumor that they're really comfortable, but that they have a carbon fiber shank instead of a steel shank. I'm not sure if there's any truth to that, but that's one more reason, to me, to stick with my pro warringtons.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talked with a fellow Sergeant the other day. Before I was hired they were specing gear. We had the option of Lion/Janesville and Morning Pride. Of course they went with Janesville because we didnt have a local Morning Pride dealer. Nothing against Janesville but I believe the MP would have been a better choice. Oh well maybe my vol. dept can have something nice. Love my Globe boots worked an extrication the other night and they were awesome.

Janesville is total junk IMHO. I HATED my Janesville gear. I've got a pair of Globe boots at work and at the vollie house and wouldn't trade them for anything. Most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebfc View Post
    I've worn all three. I love my morning pride. Janesville is a distant second. Its tough to break in, and the velcro comes off. Once its broken in though it wears really nice. Globe follows far behind in third. We just got it on a grant 2 years ago. To me it feels heavy, bulky, and just doesn't wear as nice as the others.
    Couldn't agree more with your order.

Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post
    Janesville is total junk IMHO. I HATED my Janesville gear. I've got a pair of Globe boots at work and at the vollie house and wouldn't trade them for anything. Most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
    I'd have to disagree. Janesville is good. It's a bit tough to break in, but overall it is great gear. Don't get me wrong, I love Globe gear too. That's what I currently have now, I just feel Janesville has the upper hand with breathability and overall weight.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Suggestion (some may know this, but many don't): When evaluating gear, get a sample set from each manufacturer, that have the same three materials for the outer shell, thermal barrier, and the liner. I often see departments comparing gear, and one of them has a really expensive liner in it. When you're not sweating, the good liner makes the gear feel light and very flexible. So, that gear tends to become the favorite... regardless of whether that's the liner you're going with or not. The main difference in turnout gear is not weight, it's how they're cut. If you're truly comparing apples to apples, you'll be much happier in the long run.
    TruckCommittee.com

Quote Originally Posted by RyanK63 View Post
    I'd have to disagree. Janesville is good. It's a bit tough to break in, but overall it is great gear. Don't get me wrong, I love Globe gear too. That's what I currently have now, I just feel Janesville has the upper hand with breathability and overall weight.
    To each their own I guess!

I wouldn't be heartbroken if I had to go back to my Janesville gear and sometimes I do for a tour or two as my Janesville is now my backup set. I just personally feel that the Globe fits me much better.

Thread Information