MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Ironically, it isn't usually LA criticizing other people....

Slippery slope indeed.
    No, but the quote is in regards to people criticizing other people's procedures and how they'd never place themselves in a situation where that choice of procedure would ever have to be made, which fits bull's statement quite well.

This is the last I'll speak of it, he's been absent for some days and it's been very enjoyable.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I've never ridden a horse... but I drive a Mustang...

want to hit the quarter mile?
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Hey - our state police ran Mustangs and Camaros for a while for freeway work. All tricked out, too.

Kenner (right outside of new orleans, where the shop is located) Police, 0-100 in 7 flat. Since then I heard a dual stage CO2 pushed nitrous system was installed, so probably 0-100 in 5 if it can hook up.

Courtesy of local drug dealer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Hey LA, he talking to YOU!
    Just got back from a week's worth of training in NV ..... and here we go ,,, Again.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Just got back from a week's worth of training in NV ..... and here we go ,,, Again.
    You mean they have training on what excuses to give to avoid doing one's job?

Who knew?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Spoke too soon, oh well, all good things must come to an end.

Inb4 the inevitable **** storm of troll post.

Forum Member

That will teach ya to take time off,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post

want to hit the quarter mile?
    BEFORE or AFTER I Tune the 'stang? T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    BEFORE or AFTER I Tune the 'stang? T.C.
    There's really not much tuning I'd have to worry about from any n/a domestic car. (and 90% of imports, to be honest)

Edit: i almost forgot, we aren't speaking about a 5.0 coyote are we?
    Last edited by tajm611; 07-30-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Forum Member

There's really not much tuning I'd have to worry about from any n/a domestic car. (and 90% of imports, to be honest)

Edit: i almost forgot, we aren't speaking about a 5.0 coyote are we?
    OK, whatever you say. There ARE still sleepers in the country but hold that thought,one day you may find one. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sure, there are sleepers of every make and model, 11 second honda civics, 32 second prius (pruii, priuses..?) even a 9.5 second datsun. It's just I've been around cars long enough to know that truly fast cars can't hide behind quiet exhaust and street tires.

I stand by my comment, I'm not worried about 12-15 second mustangs, they're a dime a dozen. If it's n/a, its no sleeper. If it's FI, then I'd worry its in the upper 10%. If it's a coyote, you have my attention. If its just a v6 or a 1995-2010 gt, pft....

Forum Member

Sure, there are sleepers of every make and model, 11 second honda civics, 32 second prius (pruii, priuses..?) even a 9.5 second datsun. It's just I've been around cars long enough to know that truly fast cars can't hide behind quiet exhaust and street tires.

I stand by my comment, I'm not worried about 12-15 second mustangs, they're a dime a dozen. If it's n/a, its no sleeper. If it's FI, then I'd worry its in the upper 10%. If it's a coyote, you have my attention. If its just a v6 or a 1995-2010 gt, pft....
    None of those mustangs go any faster than my car in gridlock traffic.

Forum Member

I guess you can go pft.. it s a 4.6 liter V8 with a cold air induction and a custom performance tune for premium fuel... next on the mod agenda is upgrading the exhaust system; either Magnaflow, Borla or Corsa.

By the way, it is a stealth car.. that blower out of hood of your Challenger is a cop magnet... if they don't see it , they certainly can hear it when it spools up!

IronValor.. there was no gun metal gray in the 2006 Mustang color pallette. There was silver, tungsten gray, redfire, windveil blue, sonic blue, performance white and screaming yellow. Your 'Stang is probably tungsten gray, unless it has custom paintwork I love how the color subtly change depending on how rhe sunlight hits it.

PS: I am inviting you to join the Silver Mustang Registry (www.silvermustangs.com) and the Grey Mustang Registry(www.greymustangs.com)... tell them "DaGonz" gave you the referral!
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 07-30-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

That will teach ya to take time off,hehe T.C.
    Actually the pile of work I'll find on my desk Monday morning should teach me not to take time off.

(... Or go to Vegas more often)
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-30-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    You mean they have training on what excuses to give to avoid doing one's job?

Who knew?
    Yup.

I have a whole new stash of excuses now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I guess you can go pft.. it s a 4.6 liter V8 with a cold air induction and a custom performance tune for premium fuel... next on the mod agenda is upgrading the exhaust system; either Magnaflow, Borla or Corsa.

By the way, it is a stealth car.. that blower out of hood of your Challenger is a cop magnet... if they don't see it , they certainly can hear it when it spools up!

IronValor.. there was no gun metal gray in the 2006 Mustang color pallette. There was silver, tungsten gray, redfire, windveil blue, sonic blue, performance white and screaming yellow. Your 'Stang is probably tungsten gray, unless it has custom paintwork I love how the color subtly change depending on how rhe sunlight hits it.

PS: I am inviting you to join the Silver Mustang Registry (www.silvermustangs.com) and the Grey Mustang Registry(www.greymustangs.com)... tell them "DaGonz" gave you the referral!
    I haven't gotten a ticket since I was 17, I have been stopped but only to ask about my car or bike. Getting an inspection sticker use to prove difficult due to Baton Rouge and New Orlean's emission laws. Not that the car puts out horrible emissions but finicky ecu's will have a permanent check engine light and when it's been bored and stroked and has blower (which doesn't 'spool') the size of most mustang's engines sitting on the top...it tends to have a long list of codes.

Just a little good natured car ribbing, I actually love mustangs.....

....9/10 are driven by some cute girls.

I kid, I've always dreamed of someday owning a 66, flat black, no chrome beast with a keith kraft 427 under the hood.

Also, from my experience, borla and corsa and some of the top non-custom exhaust makers in the country, I've had nothing but amazing experiences with them both.
    Last edited by tajm611; 07-30-2011 at 07:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bringing the thread back on topic...

Bill Carey just posted this...

A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers was correct.

I'm at a barn watching a show and browsing the net, taking in all the unsolicited advice the experts have, equestrian and fire service. Wrong bridle; wrong seat; didn't lunge enough; lunged too much; elbows out; inside leg too far forward; it's all over. Such is competition. One, maybe two judges in the ring and dozens in the stands, some who never showed a day in their life, much less pick out a hoof.

The same goes for the fire service. Not an incident goes by that is in our news pages, forums and blogs where Anonymous chimes in with all the facts and corrections laid out. It's not wrong to immediately question and reason why, especially when things go bad, but I believe it is disrespectful to do so under a veil of anonymity and without willingly laying out one's background. Countless opinions are given which eventually are found to be tied mostly to predetermined beliefs and have very little factual support.

So while watching and hearing all the ring "advice" I'm reading "advice" on Asheville as well. The investigation is hardly out of the gate and the questions have already started:

Why were they in there when they had no water?

Why were they in there when everyone was reported safely out?

Why don't they have competent incident commanders who can properly gauge the risks?

You and I can't prevent those questions and rightly so. We will certainly go down a slippery slope if we begin limiting what can be asked of such deaths. The problem is that they lack tact when asked before the embers are cool. They also lack respect given and earned when asked in anonymity.

Captain Bowen's grave isn't even dug yet and people are already judging him, others and the department from the comfortableness of home or firehouse.

- -

The horse pictured is mine. I don't show so I don't offer show advice and answers. I know my horse, but not others as much, so I don't offer horse advice either. If asked, I can give an opinion based on my experience and knowledge, but in the end it's only an opinion.

With every line of duty death well, at least the glamorous firefighting ones demands for answers come faster and faster and respect is kicked further down the curb. Opinions are pressed to be accepted as fact without even a glance into the presenter's experience. Differences of opinion do nothing more than divide us when fail to put our own history on the table. Much like racing and religion we push our favorite horse, our favorite belief. The problem is that many people do this and have never publicly mounted up or never publicly taken up a cross.

That crap has to stop. If you feel so strongly about your opinion that you need to publicly state it before the first shovel tosses dirt in the grave, then get a pair and show your name and department wherever you comment. Even if others disagree with you, they will have some respect for you.

http://backstepfirefighter.com/2011/...up-or-shut-up/

Forum Member

There is a silverado ss around here that runs the 1\4 in 10s. It is one of the all wheel drive ones. That thing is a rocket out of the hole.

Sorry off topic
    Bring enough hose.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    There is a silverado ss around here that runs the 1\4 in 10s. It is one of the all wheel drive ones. That thing is a rocket out of the hole.

Sorry off topic
    I've had the joy of seeing Parish's truck run at HRP, seeing a farm truck run 10's is a sight to behold.

If I'm not mistaken, I think all the silvy ss's were awd. Amazing launches but they tend to lose it up top due to it.

Forum Member

To return to topic... another gem from Backstep Firefighter...

Anonymous is a kick butt firefighter

Remember, for every time you point a finger at some department there are three more pointing back at you.

“Mr. FireSlayer161, in your many years as an aggressive firefighter, would you please tell the audience how many fires you’ve been to?”
    “Been to or put out?”
    “Well, let us restrict it to ‘put out’ so we may have a manageable figure.”

Yes folks, the time has come that Dave and I have decided to follow the example of Brotherhood Instructors and no longer allow anonymous comments to our posts. It is not as though we receive a ton of comments, well, me anyway, but it has been something that has been on my mind for at least a year only to resurface after following the comments on recent D.C. fires on STATter911. Brotherhood Instructors had this ‘policy’ years ago when they were just starting out. It’s a good tool that fosters better and more respectable discussion. Briefly speaking to Chris Collier on the decision, I agree with his view that it is easier to respectfully disagree with someone when they sign their name to their comments. We try to provide you with information that challenges you to think more, think deeper, about “the job” and an integral part of that challenge lies in the comments afterward. We’ve had no problems with our comments but it concerns me that so many people are anonymously vehement in their opinions in other blogs and forums. In most of these occurrences the discussion nose dives into a mess of adolescent name calling and general stupidity.

So, before it even begins to happen here, all comments must include your name or the name of your department. Either one, it makes no difference. If you don’t, well we can do nothing for you. It’s one of the best ways we can all learn from each other in this increasingly technological age as well as show your true grit.

Thanks,
    Bill and Dave
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Yup.

I have a whole new stash of excuses now.
    Excellent. More ways for you to embarass the fire service.

Be proud.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Excellent. More ways for you to embarass the fire service.

Be proud.
    Sorta like the way you bash all vollies based primarily on the apparent inability of your previous department to manage the volunteer program effectively?

Forum Member

I haven't gotten a ticket since I was 17, I have been stopped but only to ask about my car or bike. Getting an inspection sticker use to prove difficult due to Baton Rouge and New Orlean's emission laws. Not that the car puts out horrible emissions but finicky ecu's will have a permanent check engine light and when it's been bored and stroked and has blower (which doesn't 'spool') the size of most mustang's engines sitting on the top...it tends to have a long list of codes.

Just a little good natured car ribbing, I actually love mustangs.....

....9/10 are driven by some cute girls.

I kid, I've always dreamed of someday owning a 66, flat black, no chrome beast with a keith kraft 427 under the hood.

Also, from my experience, borla and corsa and some of the top non-custom exhaust makers in the country, I've had nothing but amazing experiences with them both.
    Finicky ECU's. How about writing a program to take care of that MINOR issue. I'll bet someone already HAS. Hi-perf,Hi dollars. I'll stick to my diesel. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Finicky ECU's. How about writing a program to take care of that MINOR issue. I'll bet someone already HAS. Hi-perf,Hi dollars. I'll stick to my diesel. T.C.
    ........nevermind.

In the most respectful way I can say this.......nevermind.

Forum Member

Sorta like the way you bash all vollies based primarily on the apparent inability of your previous department to manage the volunteer program effectively?
    Stop trying to deflect from your own shortcomings.

My former department's policy makers finally came to their senses and removed volunteers from most suppression units because the data showed they had an abysmal rate of response. There were numerous incentives offered and none of them worked. They were even given an extra year to improve their response and it only got worse.

The reality is this urban environment didn't lend itself to that model any longer.
    Last edited by scfire86; 07-31-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Thread Information