Thread: Communications

Forum Member

Default Communications

Just wondering how many juniors have radios or pagers. In my department at this time we only have Text alerts so when there is a call we receive a text ex: Dispatcher123: FD : 456 bloomfield ave. This text sometimes isn't sent or come through 4-5 minutes after the initial tone and it does not state the nature of the emergency fire/accident/other which could lead to a junior running up to the fire house to see all it is the police need the ladder truck to enter an open window of a locked out home owner.

Forum Member

We only issue pagers to juniors if we have extra ones that are available and as of radios, no. Once they complete Essentials of Firefighting or FF1 and are at least 18 years old, then they will receive a radio.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

We are a issued pager if there is not a firefighter who needs one and the Junior is considered responsible enough to obey orders. As for radios, we are not allowed to use them, which I completely understand.

Stay safe

Forum Member

deleted...
    Last edited by 19echo95; 02-03-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Forum Member

we are not issued pager but if we want we can buy our own, we are also not issued radios but me and another explorer bought our own, it is just set to receive only like a scanner would be.

Forum Member

Our JR's are issued a pager. They are also issued an older HT-1000 radio to help with fire ground support. Plus it gives them the experience to start listening in on the radio as they do their jobs given to them by the chief or ARC, they just know not to touch the buttons.

When I was a JR i put my radio to use a few times.

Forum Member

I think if a junior shows maturity and shows they have been responding to calls they should get a radio

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bmags84 View Post
    I think if a junior shows maturity and shows they have been responding to calls they should get a radio
    And I really do not agree with you. Why should we issue JR's radios? In all honesty, have the completed FF1, or an EMT class or any other classes that would make them of a use to have a radio? You also have to remember if you give them radios whats to say that said radio if carried around with them wont fall into a friends hands and have the dispatch channel tied up, or better yet the radio stolen. So if you can list 3 reasons that can convince all of us of the use of radios for JR's and Explorers then try, change my mind rather than just what you said. You started something here now I want to see you state the facts, give me the truth and try to change my and others mind about this issue.

Forum Member

AndrewR, you realize your speaking on a public forum. Bmags84's opinion is not wrong, but heres what I can come up with.

Giving a JR a radio can, in some cases, make them realize that they are apart of something. That they are one step closer to being like the rest of the crew on the fire ground. Some, as you said, will not take such responsibility the right way, while others may see it as a time to get mature, a time to prove themselves.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    AndrewR, you realize your speaking on a public forum. Bmags84's opinion is not wrong, but heres what I can come up with.

Giving a JR a radio can, in some cases, make them realize that they are apart of something. That they are one step closer to being like the rest of the crew on the fire ground. Some, as you said, will not take such responsibility the right way, while others may see it as a time to get mature, a time to prove themselves.

I couldn't agree more. And at the first sign of misuse take it away until they become 18 and/or FF1.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

Forum Member

I understand the whole miss use issue

Forum Member

I understand the whole miss use issue
    It's not only that, but a lot of departments can't afford to supply juniors/explorers with radios when older, certified people can use them. But if a department has the extra funding for radios and have juniors/explorers that are mature enough and trusted enough to be issued a radio, then yeah they should be given one, just limited to what and when they are aloud to transmit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanK63 View Post
    It's not only that, but a lot of departments can't afford to supply juniors/explorers with radios when older, certified people can use them. But if a department has the extra funding for radios and have juniors/explorers that are mature enough and trusted enough to be issued a radio, then yeah they should be given one, just limited to what and when they are aloud to transmit.
    If I had to pick a side to this all I still have my draw backs to it, but if your going to issue Jr.'s or Explorers radios make the main dispatch channel a non transmitting channel.

Forum Member

I agree with AndrewR even though I'm still a Junior. Anyways a lot of Jr.s are not consistant in responding to calls so it would seem like a waste of the department's funds if they were to issue radios to every Junior. I do think that it would be very helpful on the fireground if we could use the radios (not the main dispatch channel just the tower we are working off of at the time) and as I said before I completely understand why on most departments Jr.s are not allowed to use radios.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    If I had to pick a side to this all I still have my draw backs to it, but if your going to issue Jr.'s or Explorers radios make the main dispatch channel a non transmitting channel.
    If you make main dispatch non-transmitting tho it kinda takes away the point of having the radio ex when hitting the hydrant the engine radio is operating main dispatch and it would be more then a hassle for the pump operator to change channels to communicate with the junior who may be out of sight at the time

Forum Member

If you make main dispatch non-transmitting tho it kinda takes away the point of having the radio ex when hitting the hydrant the engine radio is operating main dispatch and it would be more then a hassle for the pump operator to change channels to communicate with the junior who may be out of sight at the time
    Actually if you get down to it you should not be operating on the main dispatch channel as it clutters the frequency for other agencies if your in an area with a county wide dispatch system and if your in a larger city area your blocking said channel for other companies to get dispatched to other incidents. You should be going to a fire ground or non dispatch channel when you arrive, now there is more then one portable are you going to tell me that the pump operator does not carry a portable that is used for fire ground use?

For over a year I was an Asst Chief Explorer on my local fire department and, as glorious as it may seem to have one, explorers really do NOT need a radio. Yes, you may look cool carrying it around or feel more like part of the "team" but training and working together should bring out camaraderie much more effectively than a hunk of plastic that comes with a speaker and thousands of dollars in liability. When you put in the time and become a full-fledged FFII, you just might get your radio then... after you've earned it.
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

This might sound odd to some of you, but I am a part of two departments, and neither of them issue radios to off duty FF's. Saying that, while an explorer is on a ride-a-long, they should be issued a radio--for the shift--and taught how to use it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exp Snodgrass View Post
    This might sound odd to some of you, but I am a part of two departments, and neither of them issue radios to off duty FF's. Saying that, while an explorer is on a ride-a-long, they should be issued a radio--for the shift--and taught how to use it.
    You are right and wrong at the same time. What is an explorer actually doing that he or she would need a portable for? The only reason why when I was an explorer I was given a portable was at drills or when I was at the hydrant which was rare because i almost never went out on the engine, but thats besides the point. The point is the only reason an explorer or Jr needs a portable to be issued to them is if they are at the hydrant or at a drill for your department.

Forum Member

On my department, only officers get issued portables. A few regular FFs have bought their own, but most people don't want to drop a thousand dollars on a portable. As a junior on a volunteer department, I have been in a situation where people have come up to me and said after an alarm re-activation "so and so is on the third floor and she can't hear the alarm," while the building is being evacuated and I was alone with no means of contact. I have been in similar situations where having the portable made the situation much easier to deal with. That being said, I don't believe juniors should be issued a portable. Its not worth the money or liability. If they go to a call and there is a need for them and/or they are available, then they may take one. I usually take one if I'm on the hydrant or expect to be isolated from everyone else (i.e. traffic control). But there is no need for juniors to have one on their person or in their POV unless they are on a call.
    Last edited by nr9306; 09-15-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Forum Member

First off with pagers it was about 8 months before I got issued a pager. I did get text message alerts however these were some times unreliable.

Now the great radio debate. I didn't get a radio until I was 18. And the only reason I got one was because we got luck to be given a boat load of radios when a nearby plant upgraded. Therefore a few juniors at my station do have them. Really though there is only one of our jrs that I feel should have it and he has both FF1 and EMT and is a few months from being 18.

I'm not sure how other places are but for us i'm never on the radio. Very rarely is mine even on. I always bring it but I'm a younger guy and I know I shouldn't be on the radio. So if I feel myself I shouldn't really use one I don't think any of my juniors should. There are plenty on the trucks that they could use if they had to hit a hydrant or something.

All though we also have our own private channel that can be used to say we are responding to the station so this is partly why some jrs have it. Also we use it on the fireground so a JR could be told to do something on that channel. Just some more food for thought.

Forum Member

In my department, we are issued pagers if there are extra's which there usually is. We are not allowed to have a radio, until you are able to tech in the back of the rescue by yourself. So, since you can not tech in the back of a rescue by your self until you reach the age of 18, you can not have a personal portable. If you are on scene and you are baby sitting the hydrant or excluded from the rest of the crews, they want you to have a radio because you might be able to help the crews.

Thread Information