PIERCE / LANCE 1995-2003
    PIERCE / QUANTUM 1995-2003
    PIERCE / SABER 1995-2006
    Manufacturer: PIERCE MANUFACTURING Mfr's Report Date: JUL 25, 2011
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V384000 NHTSA Action Number: PE11006
    Component: FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 6,803
    Summary:
    PIERCE HAS DECIDED THAT CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 1995-2008 ARROW XT, DASH, CUSTOM CONTENDER, LANCE, ENFORCER, PIERCE ARROW, QUANTUM, SABER AND COMMERCIAL FIRE TRUCKS MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 2, 1995, THROUGH JANUARY 21, 2008, CONTAIN A SAFETY DEFECT. THESE VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH FUEL TANK STRAPS THAT MAY CORRODE DUE TO WINTER ROAD SALT OR LIQUID DE-ICING CHEMICALS. IF THE FUEL TANK STRAPS CORRODE SUFFICIENTLY, THE FUEL TANK SUPPORTING STRAPS MAY FRACTURE AND THE FUEL TANK MAY FALL FROM THE VEHICLE.
    Consequence:
    THE VEHICLES MAY LOSE POWER AND STALL. IN ADDITION, THE FUEL TANK MAY RUPTURE AND SPILL DIESEL FUEL ON THE ROADWAY. EITHER OF THESE OUTCOMES MAY CAUSE A FIRE TRUCK OR SURROUNDING VEHICLES TO SLIP OR SLIDE ON THE ROADWAY SURFACE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    FOR FIRE TRUCKS THAT ARE LESS THAN 10 YEARS OLD, DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL TANK STRAPS AND REPLACE THEM IF NECESSARY WITH STAINLESS STEEL STRAPS FREE OF CHARGE. FOR VEHICLES THAT ARE OLDER THAN 10 YEARS, PIERCE IS NOT OFFERING A FREE REMEDY, BUT WILL OFFER FOR PURCHASE REPLACEMENT FUEL TANKS STRAPS AND PROVIDE INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLATION. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING AUGUST 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PIERCE AT 1-920-832-3000.
    Notes:
    PIERCE SAFETY RECALL NO. 74B218. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Forum Member

Hope you don't mind, I think your post is important enough that I synopsed it and posted it where I now post the monthly recall notices that I used to put here.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Hope you don't mind, I think your post is important enough that I synopsed it and posted it where I now post the monthly recall notices that I used to put here.
    Not at all: It was sent to me by a sales rep you know. The important thing is that folks with these vehicle get under and check the straps for corrosion.

Forum Member

There were a few trucks around with the fuel tanks falling out,I wondered if they were going to do anything about it.

Forum Member

Go figure my dept runs an '01 Lance and when it went for pump testing this year the testers noticed that the fuel tank was about to fall off..they said one more good bump and that it would have fallen off

Forum Member

To late for us, our 1999 Dash fuel tank fell off a few years ago. Luckily it was parked in the fire station at the time.

Forum Member

This shouldn't be Pierce only recall. Anybody that gets snow should have SS fuel tank straps. We have 2 that are part of the "recall". But we have others that should be recalled by other manufacturers.

I've had 2 fuel tanks hit the ground, and it sucks. Both in the winter. Our PM as of a few years ago is to replace all fuel tank straps that are steel, to SS. So if you're in snow, with all the goody chemicals to melt it, check and replace your fuel tank straps.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    This shouldn't be Pierce only recall. Anybody that gets snow should have SS fuel tank straps. We have 2 that are part of the "recall". But we have others that should be recalled by other manufacturers.

I've had 2 fuel tanks hit the ground, and it sucks. Both in the winter. Our PM as of a few years ago is to replace all fuel tank straps that are steel, to SS. So if you're in snow, with all the goody chemicals to melt it, check and replace your fuel tank straps.

FM1
    Totally agree. Lexington KY has not only had a few fuel tanks fall from Pierce, but has replaced just about all of the fuel tanks on the 10 Smeal pumpers purchased 1998 - 2000. Where the brine got under the strap caused both the strap and fuel tank to fail. We use commercial fuel vendors (Speedway, or any other fuel/convenience store accepting whatever fleet fuel plan we're on), so these pumpers were built with fuel fill necks on both sides of the apparatus. Each tank was a custom order, requiring long OOS times waiting for replacement tanks. We've discontinued asking for dual fuel fill necks because of this. OOS time waiting to get to a fuel pump on the left side is probably less over the life of the apparatus than the time OOS waiting on a tank to be built
    We don't get a ton of snow, but the Highway Dept. had been very active in "pre-treating" the roadways with brine when snow was forcasted. That practice seemed to lessen this past winter.
    New pumpers spec'd late last year called for stainless steel straps and fuel tank.

Forum Member

FM1
    SS is Good but be mindful of any strap bolts and fitments as well. As most of the tanks are 60+ gallons they can get hefty if you have to refit them beside the road. T.C.

Forum Member

Talking

The highway crews up here use both brine pretreatment and massive quantities of salt and other chloride solutions to keep the roads clear.

I've had to replace an oil pan on my truck that rotted out , along with spring hangers,shackles and all brake & fuel lines. Have even seen brake backing plates rusting away. Most of them within 5-7 years of age.

The folks from away insist on having dry clean roads within a few hours of a big storm.

The take away message here is get the creeper out regularly and take a good look underneath your trucks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I've had to replace an oil pan on my truck that rotted out , along with spring hangers,shackles and all brake & fuel lines. Have even seen brake backing plates rusting away. Most of them within 5-7 years of age.
    Must drive a ?ord. Dang, can't even type it.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Talking

Must drive a ?ord. Dang, can't even type it.

FM1
    the oil pan on my wife's F150.

The others were on a GMC 1 ton dually trailer toter.
    That giant mountain of crap cost me a fortune to keep it on the road.

Thread Information