Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By utilitycow
  • 1 Post By utilitycow

Thread: How long have you been looking for a job?

Forum Member

Default How long have you been looking for a job?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I am enrolled in EMT school and going to fire school in early 2012. I have 2 family members who are FF's, and I know how competitive it is.

I'm just curious, how long has it been since you finished fire school, and are you still looking for a FF job? I'm just trying to get an idea of how long everyone has been looking for work. And if you know other FF's, how long were they looking before getting the job?

Thanks in advance...

Forum Member

Took me 3 1/2 years to get hired. The key is having both medic and fire then you open up your chances. I got hired 5 months after fire school, know someone who was hired 3 months after fire school. Finish your schools and keep your head up, don't get discouraged. Not everyone who goes to fire school is going to get hired, some try harder than other. How bad do you want it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent8404 View Post
    Took me 3 1/2 years to get hired. The key is having both medic and fire then you open up your chances. I got hired 5 months after fire school, know someone who was hired 3 months after fire school. Finish your schools and keep your head up, don't get discouraged. Not everyone who goes to fire school is going to get hired, some try harder than other. How bad do you want it?

Congrats. Oh, I definitely want to go to medic school too. My wife is a nurse and I always find the medical side of it very interesting. I sent you a PM, Silent8404. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Member

I did EMT first, then Fire Academy and then went into medic school.

The day I got my fire certificate, I began applying to a lot of places that accepted Fire/EMT.
    From that day, until the day I got hired I would say was 1 1/2 years. I was in medic school for most of that time and while in medic school I would apply as a medic if departments allowed me to.

I think by the time I got hired, I had already applied to 30 departments and tested all around Florida.

The day after I got my job offer, I was contacted by another department in Northern Florida with an offer. 2 weeks after that, I was contacted by another department in the very south of florida.

Persistance pays. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and your "dream" department may not turn out to be such a "dream" after all.
    Good luck

Forum Member

It took 2 years for me to get on the job. I was fortunate enough to get hired about a month after getting my medic cert. With the job climate in FL the way it is, I consider myself lucky that it was only that long. Once you can, apply everywhere and keep your head in the books!
    Firefighter - Paramedic

Forum Member

Going on 2 years just finished medic and have AS degree. I know a lot depts are looking for degrees now.

Forum Member

I've got a 4 yr degree, but it's not ems/fire related, so it probably wont help too much, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hartman View Post
    Going on 2 years just finished medic and have AS degree. I know a lot depts are looking for degrees now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Hartman View Post
    Agreed, i have a 4 year deg. as well, still took me 4 years to land a job.

Floater for life!!

i was hired almost 5 years ago....took me 10 months to find a job and that was a lot then....i couldn't imagine looking now....i had it good.....i went to EMT in 05, Fire in 06 and got a ob in 07......50 or so apps, 15 interviews, and 1 job offer....interviews killed me......my nerves always got the best of me

Forum Member

It took me 6 months to get hired initially four years ago as a Firefighter-EMT. I am now Firefighter-Paramedic with over four years of experience and three as a charge medic. I am a state certified Fire Officer I and am going to sit for my Driver/Operator in about one-two months. I have been actively looking for a new job away from my current department for over three years. I have had five interviews and no such luck. I evidently do not know the right people as I have been passed over by the typical morons you see everyday right out of school that don't know the difference between a straight stream and a solid stream. It irritates me to no end. But the one saving grace I have, is that at least I have a job.

Forum Member

11 years. Been employed the last 5, but always looking for a better opportunity!
    Degree type doesn't matter. We hired a fat kid with a degree in physical education! All they care is that you have one, but every dept weighs it differently.
    It's all about that interview man. I had the same attitude for years as I watched my friends with less education and experience get hired at awesome departments. I can tell you personally that Capt Bob is on to something.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Not trying to be funny or anything, but how does "a fat kid" pass the cpat..isn't it difficult?

QUOTE=utilitycow;1343937]11 years. Been employed the last 5, but always looking for a better opportunity!
    Degree type doesn't matter. We hired a fat kid with a degree in physical education! All they care is that you have one, but every dept weighs it differently.
    It's all about that interview man. I had the same attitude for years as I watched my friends with less education and experience get hired at awesome departments. I can tell you personally that Capt Bob is on to something.[/QUOTE]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    Not trying to be funny or anything, but how does "a fat kid" pass the cpat..isn't it difficult?
    My dept doesn't use the IAFF CPAT standard.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by utilitycow View Post
    My dept doesn't use the IAFF CPAT standard.

Oh. I was under the impression the same cpat was used by all depts throughout Fla. My bad.

Forum Member

Oh. I was under the impression the same cpat was used by all depts throughout Fla. My bad.

www.iaff.org/hs/well/statelist.htm

That's a list of all the departments that use the IAFF standard.

Some departments use their own ability test that they have developed, some use a local college to administer an ability test. The latter relieves the department of liability. National testing network has a bit of a monopoly in this area.
    Want2BAFF. likes this.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Thx man, for some reason I was thinking the same exact CPAT was used throughout FL. I've heard about the stair climber with a 75lb vest on being a beast!
    Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 11-03-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Forum Member

Thx man, for some reason I was thinking the same exact CPAT was used throughout FL. I've heard about the stair climber with a 75lb vest on being a beast!
    The stairs are very difficult. If you can last the 3:20 on the stairs, you can finish.
    If you have concerns about passing the CPAT, I would suggest calling the local testing center and asking what you can do. I believe they have an option to come in and "practice" for a fee and the guys will tell you how to prepare for the test.
    Want2BAFF. likes this.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by utilitycow View Post
    The stairs are very difficult. If you can last the 3:20 on the stairs, you can finish.
    If you have concerns about passing the CPAT, I would suggest calling the local testing center and asking what you can do. I believe they have an option to come in and "practice" for a fee and the guys will tell you how to prepare for the test.

Right on, thanks. I'm not so much worried about the cpat although I could drop a few lbs, its more or less just wanting to know what exactly it entails and being able to prep for it.

Forum Member

CPAT isn't hard, the Fireteam is what can screw you out of a position if you don't pay attention to it. Some departments in FL do only an interview. Some hire whom they please. Some do a written only. It varies, typically your more organized departments on the east/west coast and Lakeland Orlando area do organized hiring though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truck-10-VES View Post
    CPAT isn't hard, the Fireteam is what can screw you out of a position if you don't pay attention to it. Some departments in FL do only an interview. Some hire whom they please. Some do a written only. It varies, typically your more organized departments on the east/west coast and Lakeland Orlando area do organized hiring though.

Thanks, I had no idea it varied.

Forum Member

No problem, PM me if you need any help or have questions about anything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truck-10-VES View Post
    No problem, PM me if you need any help or have questions about anything.
    Will do .. I appreciate you and everyone's help with questions.

Forum Member

I want to move to Florida right now I am in California. I will be getting my EMT-B (NREMT) here in California. How do I go about getting into and going through a fire academy down there in Florida? I want to live some where in South East florida. Fire careers here in CA especially in San Diego County where I live are non-existant. FL has tons of more opprotunities that CA any advice?

SDD

Thread Information