Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Exclamation Call Department Fitness

Looking for what other departments are doing to keep our call force in good physical shape. Suggestions, ideas, anything would help!

Forum Member

I would say that being physically fit doesn't always mean that your body is fully packed. It's not a matter of what the other company do to establish a good physical shape, well yes that thing matters, but what I believe matters most is what you look into your own self to achieve a well physical shape. Your physically fit body has nothing to do if your mind isn't responding that effectively.

Forum Member

Seems that few volunteer or paid-on-call departments go much beyond requiring a physical (and sometimes not even that). Yours would probably be the exception. If you can't get a required or even voluntary program going, the best thing to do might be to start having the most physically demanding drills that you can think of and pretty soon the ones that are way out of shape will probably get the message.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireservice View Post
    what I believe matters most is what you look into your own self to achieve a well physical shape.
    Not sure I follow your meaning on this.

Forum Member

the best thing to do might be to start having the most physically demanding drills that you can think of and pretty soon the ones that are way out of shape will probably get the message.
    ...and what about the ones who can't physically do the job, or are catered to because they are a certain sex?

Forum Member

If they have to stand on the sidelines or drop out of a drill on a regular basis, they will probably figure out that firefighting isn't for them OR they will be shamed into getting in shape. Its obviously not as good as having some specific standard that has to be met.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am on a Paid on call department, and this is what we started doing. This past year, we started doing physicals... Nothing on the physical will disqualify them from performing any firefighting duties.

Also, we try and do at least one physical training every weekend or every other weekend... Granted, not everyone comes, and even if some do, that doesn't mean they participate... But, the important thing is, we have taken the first step.

Lastly, a couple of us get together every other day and either do a workout of P90X or Insanity, those are some of the best workouts I have ever done.. Really beneficial.
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member

We used to get a pay incentive if we maintained 10 hours PT a month. However, now due to budget cuts that has gone away. We now use a few motivated firefighters to con, nag, influence, etc. the slacker firefighters into going to the gym. We went through a rough patch but now in general most of our guys PT. We are blessed to have many health minded firefighters.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by concerned1 View Post
    ...and what about the ones who can't physically do the job, or are catered to because they are a certain sex?
    I feel everyone should be able to do everything required to do the job correct. Race, age, gender, etc. should not be a factor. If you can not do the job you can not do the job. It is not safe to let someone half @$$ this job or get special treatment.

Thread Information