MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sprain to Train!

Feeling like a spanked butt. Got out of engine 3 to fuel it up (after pumper training) & stepped into a patch of sand on the ground, twisted my foot to the point where I could see bottom, & sprained my ankle....Gotta love it. Ya'll have fun. Hopefully I'll be back to work in a week...at least that's what I'm shooting for. Cross your fingers!

But on to my question....Anyone know of any good resources for pumper training? Online videos, websites, books...anything? I need a good refresher. Thanks for ya'lls help.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

Good luck. I turned my ankle 2 years ago at a fire right before X-mas and was off for 6 weeks and took a lot longer to get it back close to normal. Turned it a second time at home a year ago. Hurt more foot than ankle that time and it still isn't right.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Good luck. I turned my ankle 2 years ago at a fire right before X-mas and was off for 6 weeks and took a lot longer to get it back close to normal. Turned it a second time at home a year ago. Hurt more foot than ankle that time and it still isn't right.
    Man don't tell me that...lol I'm already itchin' to get back. This sittin' on my butt & doin' nothing is killin' me.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    But on to my question....Anyone know of any good resources for pumper training? Online videos, websites, books...anything? I need a good refresher. Thanks for ya'lls help.
    I see you are in Greenwood, De. I stop for chicken when I am on my way south. Pull up MFRI's website and see when they will be offering Pump Operations I at the NERTC. Take it. Great class.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I see you are in Greenwood, De. I stop for chicken when I am on my way south. Pull up MFRI's website and see when they will be offering Pump Operations I at the NERTC. Take it. Great class.
    Next time you are on your way south. Ask for Chris (assuming I'm cookin' that day). I'll hook ya up.
    I've taken the class thru our local fire school in Dover. Is it more in depth?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    Hopefully I'll be back to work in a week...at least that's what I'm shooting for. Cross your fingers!
    I hope yours isn't as bad as mine was, I was out for 8 weeks, with 6 weeks of physical therapy.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sucks to be old!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey - could be worse.

I broke my calcanus (heel) bone Oct last year in a Mayday Class - had to have surgery, screws, cast - the works. Was released for duty in April this year. Still have swelling & walk with a limp - at my age now I probably always will.

So be glad it's a sprain & I hope you heal up quick & completly!!

As for the pump training - I'm brushing up for my D/O Pumper Instructor pre-test just by reading the (IFSTA) book & workbook - Surprised at what all I've forgotten already.

Good Luck & Speedy Recovery.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire View Post
    As for the pump training - I'm brushing up for my D/O Pumper Instructor pre-test just by reading the (IFSTA) book & workbook - Surprised at what all I've forgotten already.
    Study, study, study! When I was doing my last DPO instructor update, we had several prospective students come in to take their pre-tests. 6 of the 14 passed. Quite an eye-opener for those folks!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Study, study, study! When I was doing my last DPO instructor update, we had several prospective students come in to take their pre-tests. 6 of the 14 passed. Quite an eye-opener for those folks!
    Thanks for the Heads-Up - I'm about 2/3 of the way thru the study guide and I'm holding an 80% average so far. The calculations part is easy(ier) for me b/c I have a background in engineering and have done hydraulics & fluid dynamics before (and my DPO class was just a couple months ago).

The real fun one is going to be the DAO - that class has been a couple years ago and (so far) I can't find a book to borrow to study from.

And I'm planning to take both T-t-T classes at the Instructor Symposium in about 3 weeks.

ETA: Oh yea and I have to have BOTH pretest done before the 12th.
    Last edited by N2DFire; 08-03-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been debating on whether or not to get the DPO IFSTA book or not...I might just invest. Thanks!

Thread Information