Forum Member

Default Question about MASS hiring lists..

I was under the impression that here in Massachusetts that cities used the same hiring list that was provided by Human Resources which expired every two years when the new test was given again. But I recently read an article in the local newspaper that interviewed my cities fire chief and he stated that they were hiring new firefighters soon but would begin using an old RESERVE LISTS from 2004 and 2009 first, I have never heard of a "reserve list" from prior years I was under the assumption that the only hiring list was the list that I am currently on (the last statewide test given in 2010). Could anybody shed more light on this for me and explain it a bit better?

Forum Member

Some departments choose to keep a Reserve List which is a pool of candidates that they want, but simply have no room to hire them. Rather then just pass on them and then have to do interviews all over again, they place them on the reserve list. Some Police departments do this as well.

Case in point, Lawrence Mass just got a SAFER Grant to hire more manpower. Lawrence hired all the people who were laid off, then the reserve list and then they will take the current list best next.

Forum Member

Although that is probably the worst news I could receive regarding my chances of being hired I appreciate the response, thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalWarren View Post
    Although that is probably the worst news I could receive regarding my chances of being hired I appreciate the response, thanks
    Think of it this way, down the road, it could be you on one of those reserve lists. Would'nt you like to know that you basically have a job lined up as soon as the spots open vs having to wait to interview each time and if you don't make it, have to take the test again and start all over?. Of course it's natural to hate Reserve lists when you're not on one.

Right now, jobs are tougher then ever with so many vets coming back looking for jobs. You not only have to compete with them but also many departments are doing Medic only hiring as well. Keep trying and do all you can in the meantime to better yourself for when an interview and potential job does come your way.

Thread Information