Forum Member

Default Where to get good ifsta books

Anyone know a good site to buy books, ifsta books? Is Amazon the best place? Wanting to purchase a driver/operator book. The red ifsta one. I think they have 2nd edition out now. Just curious if anyone has a preferred site to buy them.

Forum Member

When I've bought them before, I pretty much get them right from the IFSTA online store: http://imis-ext.osufpp.org/iMISpubli...x?Section=Home

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

There are no "good" IFSTA books...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Check some of the Jr colleges that offer fire science or academy

Ask some local fire depts

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. My fire dept carries them, we are just not allowed to take them home. I'm someone that has to read the book over and over b/c I'm, I don't know, ignorant. We don't have alot of time to study while on shift, so wanted to buy one to take home. Again, thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Axehandle View Post
    Thanks for the replies. My fire dept carries them, we are just not allowed to take them home. I'm someone that has to read the book over and over b/c I'm, I don't know, ignorant. We don't have alot of time to study while on shift, so wanted to buy one to take home. Again, thanks
    Ignorant? Ok... that's your story.... you're a firefighter on shifts?

At least you're dedicated enough to want to own one so you can read it.... Ask your training officer where the dept got theirs, or ask him if his has one that has been retired.

Other than that... as mentioned:

Oklahoma State University - Fire Protection Publications is the home of IFSTA.

http://imis-ext.osufpp.org/imispubli...y.aspx?catid=3
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Anyone know a good site to buy books, ifsta books? Is Amazon the best place? Wanting to purchase a driver/operator book. The red ifsta one. I think they have 2nd edition out now. Just curious if anyone has a preferred site to buy them.

Contact my friend at this link:

http://www.fire-police-ems.com/
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Thanks again for the replies.

Forum Member

i hate the excuse of not being able to study on shift how busy can you be that you dont have time to crack a book during the day i am at one of the busiest stations in my city and can find time you just have to put the time in

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
    i hate the excuse of not being able to study on shift how busy can you be that you dont have time to crack a book during the day i am at one of the busiest stations in my city and can find time you just have to put the time in
    Being as he is taking the intiative to buy his own damned book and study on HIS time, I hardley see this as an "excuse" for anything.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

I might be able to get my hands on one, how close are you to BR?
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

if you go to www.half.com you can search "IFSTA" for a bunch of used, very good to ok condition books for a fraction of the price you'd be paying for new ones.

I just purchased the "Essentials of Firefighting Vol. 5" to read ahead before academy starts, and purchased it from that website for about 18 dollars (brand new it costs between 50-60 dollars). The book physically looks like it's never even been opened, aside from some highlighting on maybe 5-6 pages.

It was a steal, and if you're using it as a supplemental study aid, I'd highly recommend buying used from that website. www.amazon.com has some used books on there as well.
    "you know what the best part is? It's not knowing that your friends have got your back--it's knowing that YOU'VE got your FRIENDS' backs."

-Green Street Hooligans

MembersZone Subscriber

I was at an Instructor Conference this past weekend and I was told that Virginia Department of Fire Programs (VDFP) is one of the single largest buyers of IFSTA material and as such they get a substantial discount - which is in turn passed down through the VDFP book store.

http://vafire.com/bookstore/index.htm

Here are the listed prices for you to compare.

IFSTA Pumping Apparatus, 2nd ed Handbook $36.00 1070-2ed
    IFSTA Pumping Apparatus, 2nd ed Study Guide $23.00 1070-2edSG

Kudos to you for taking the initiave to better yourself - regardless of who's "time" you do it on.

*Disclaimer* - I am now a VDFP Adjunct Instructor however I stand to gain in no way if you buy books from VDFP or not.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

I found some used ones on Amazon's marketplace, ebay, and IFSTA's site.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd try Chegg.com, They are a textbook renting site...They usually have the textbook to rent and then you can buy it if you like it. I used it for a couple IFSTA books for my associates degree

Thread Information