Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    along the lines with everything that has already been posted. Give him alone time when he gets home from work if he wants it. Nothing is worse than busting your *** all night long and getting home to an overly attentive wife/girlfriend. Me personally I love my hour ride home from work it gives me time to myself after living with 9 men for the past 24 hours.

realize that like it or not he will become part of a 2nd family. They are going to have inside jokes between each other that you will not understand. They are going to talk about stuff that you will not understand a word of the conversation. Jokes and stories that they find funny you will not.

My wife and I have been married for 5 years been together for 10 years. She knows what i do and knows that like it or not i have certain obligations to my career. Thats life, balancing personal and career obligations. She knows that i have no control over working on christmas, birthdays, etc. She knows that my job is stressful and physically demanding and when i come home I need to sleep and recharge my batteries.

On the flip side I know that she could careless about the gossip in the firehouse. She could careless if I went on 1 call or 20 calls at work yesterday. She doesnt want to hear about me running into a "burning building" yesterday. It is just not her thing.
    Thanks for the advice! I think it's important that he have time to himself after work to unwind and relax and I definitely understand the inside joke/man time thing. It's definitely been present at the other departments he's been at. Do you have any advice or tips on how to keep my relationship between me and him and not have every detail about what's going on with us shared with the guys? I get that he'll become close with them and share alot of things, but at what point do you think sharing things about our relationship is too far?

Forum Member

1. Respect

2. He cannot read your mind, so let him know what your limits are, and remember do not talk about him to the girls

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDGF View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I think it's important that he have time to himself after work to unwind and relax and I definitely understand the inside joke/man time thing. It's definitely been present at the other departments he's been at. Do you have any advice or tips on how to keep my relationship between me and him and not have every detail about what's going on with us shared with the guys? I get that he'll become close with them and share alot of things, but at what point do you think sharing things about our relationship is too far?
    For the most part most of the guys (not all of the guys) do not go into great detail with their serious girlfriends or wives at my work. Now if you are a single guy and you are talking about your lastest fling to us married guys thats another story. I am willing to bet that you talk to your girlfriends about him alot more then he talks to guys about you. We have more important things to talk about like football, hockey, the latest new play toy (bike, boat, truck, etc.) that we bought.

lastly what was said above clear communications between each other are important in any relationship. neither one of you are mind readers.

Forum Member

With my experience it is hard on a marriage/relationship. You have to be understanding that he is entering a "family" a "brotherhood". As long as ya'll keep the communication going, it shouldn't be a problem. He will have bad calls, He will have long days, you have to be there for him to vent. But just the same he has to be there for you, when you have bad days, or need to vent. I think sometimes the guys think that just because they are in a dangerous job it devalues their spouse's job. Hopefully his head won't swell, and he will remain the guy you fell in love with. Good luck to you both.

MembersZone Subscriber

Explain why you need the steak?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim54 View Post
    Explain why you need the steak?
    hes gonna get hungry after that bj. or maybe during. lol

oh and after seeing your picture. if any of his buddies ask if you wanna see the hosebed, refer to backdraft.
    Last edited by d_holder86; 08-08-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: add

Thread Information