1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default Girlfriend of probie-advice welcome

    My boyfriend recently got a job with a full time department and will be starting the academy in a few days. I'd love some advice from other full time firefighters and their significant others about what to expect, how to deal with it, and the best ways that I can support him during this stressful time. This is going to be a new adventure for both of us.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    16

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    how long is the acadmey

    does he also have to do emt class????


    just be supportive, till he gets out, then you will have alot more time with him!!!


    forgot a couple::

    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121670 (Tips for Fire Academy Success?)

    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121580 (Getting good shine on boots)


    maybe a wedding ring will be his grad present to you!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    how long is the acadmey

    does he also have to do emt class????


    just be supportive, till he gets out, then you will have alot more time with him!!!


    forgot a couple::

    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121670 (Tips for Fire Academy Success?)

    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121580 (Getting good shine on boots)


    maybe a wedding ring will be his grad present to you!!!!!!!
    The academy is 12 weeks and right away after that they're putting the guys through medic school. It will be a very busy year! I don't believe he'll be doing any emt classes however. I will do my best to support him through all of this, although I must say this is all pretty new to me. Hopefully all my effort on the home-front will pay off and we can have date nights or something!

    And yes, a wedding ring would be quite the grad present! If I make it through him going through the academy and medic school I think I'll have completed my wife training haha (I'll keep my fingers crossed!)

    Thanks so much for all of the advice-it's SO greatly appreciated!!!

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Statesville NC
    Posts
    77

    Default

    i see it now.. probie gives wedding ring, brothers give the suffer-ring.. be supportive of him and realize when hes with his brothers hes gonna act different.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d_holder86 View Post
    i see it now.. probie gives wedding ring, brothers give the suffer-ring.. be supportive of him and realize when hes with his brothers hes gonna act different.
    Yea you can always count on the guys to give each other plenty of grief haha but that's male bonding for ya. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and both of us are able to keep our sanity in the end! This will definitely be a new adventure.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDGF View Post
    My boyfriend recently got a job with a full time department and will be starting the academy in a few days. I'd love some advice from other full time firefighters and their significant others about what to expect, how to deal with it, and the best ways that I can support him during this stressful time. This is going to be a new adventure for both of us.

    Thanks!
    Hey lady, most, if not all of your questions were address and answered in the other thread you began.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default

    My advise from experiance "my ex was very good at being a FD GF" be extreemly supportive, show a true interest in what he does, also know that at the house he will be in all forms of the word a GUY so you will have to learn if you dont know already how to tolerate for lack of a better term "Man Behavior in the wild". there will be ball busting some times at your expense but most guys respect a lady on the deck and give it right back to them and youll fit right in. Best advice is to be involved, show your face once in a while bring coffees we love coffee lol, try to help out with any special events like clam boils, bbq's stuff like that, get to know the guys, after all your boyfriend the fire service which is a giant family that can be closer than alot of actual blood families.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFDL1 View Post
    My advise from experiance "my ex was very good at being a FD GF" be extreemly supportive, show a true interest in what he does, also know that at the house he will be in all forms of the word a GUY so you will have to learn if you dont know already how to tolerate for lack of a better term "Man Behavior in the wild". there will be ball busting some times at your expense but most guys respect a lady on the deck and give it right back to them and youll fit right in. Best advice is to be involved, show your face once in a while bring coffees we love coffee lol, try to help out with any special events like clam boils, bbq's stuff like that, get to know the guys, after all your boyfriend the fire service which is a giant family that can be closer than alot of actual blood families.
    Thanks those are all good ideas! Hopefully I can get to know some of the guys at his house and their wives and girlfriends. It would be nice to not feel like such a stranger there. I'd love to feel like I can get support from them too. I really like your idea of helping out with bbq's and events like that. I didn't know they did those kinds of things, and you're right about the fire service being like family. I've seen the way he's bonded with the guys at his old departments and it's great to know he can count on them and rely on them. I think the more I get involved, the more it'll feel like a family to me too. Thanks so much for your tips!

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Check out www.firewives.com. You can get support and advice from other FF wives and GFs there as well. That site, along with this one, have been very helpful for me.

  12. #12
    IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    Thanks for that link Lena! I was looking for a site like that months ago!

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default Girlfriend of probie-advice

    Hi,
    Have you started your own acadmy.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LenaMSW View Post
    Check out www.firewives.com. You can get support and advice from other FF wives and GFs there as well. That site, along with this one, have been very helpful for me.
    What a great link! Thanks!

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bessie11 View Post
    Hi,
    Have you started your own acadmy.
    What do you mean, my own academy?

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,257

    Default

    Years back when I was the Recruit Instructor for my department and later the CO of the Training Division, my former wife, which is deceased, use to get all the wife's, girlfriends and boyfriends together for several classes to go over what they could expect.

    She had a very good power point as well as great slides of a fire house, the interior and where the new members would be spending a third of a year.


    This was a great help for these folks as when their love ones did graduate they knew what to expect and how to deal with something's that they may be subjected to from as day to day changes very much.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3

    Default

    when i was in the army and overseas my wife and I always talked bout everything we could and on really bad convoys i was on she's listen to what i told her without mentionng the bad things

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I'm a new probie, any advice?
    By ladderwell in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 01:49 PM
  2. Stressed-out Probie needs advice...
    By Michelle Latham in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-15-2001, 03:43 PM
  3. Stressed-out Probie needs some advice...
    By Michelle Latham in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 11-21-2001, 10:58 PM
  4. This Probie thanks you for all the advice!
    By Michelle Latham in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-20-2001, 10:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register