Thread: Ufo

Forum Member

Default Ufo

Just food for thought...

I recently got my hands on the Rock Exotica UFO (Universal Focusing Object) and brought it to work to mess around with. Based on this first drill, I think it has some great potential.

The goal was to pick a random point in space and establish an anchor there, which we did. For a very unscientific load test, I stood on the anchor and dyno'd each of the anchors, my 1 kN never put more than 1.5kN on any one anchor. Obviously there are a lot of variables and those numbers could easily be skewed either way by anchor angles and location of the UFO relative to the anchors.

Anyhow, it was a fun rigging exercise.

Quad anchor with a tension front tie for a batwing 9:1 with the MPD:

Name:  IMG_0883.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  37.6 KB

Closeup of a delta anchor with a front tie:

Name:  IMG_0908.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  31.4 KB

Load testing in my best Captain Morgan pose:
    Name:  captain morgan.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  61.1 KB

Forum Member

Sweet Kelly,
    I've been curious about the ufo for a bit now. takes the 2d plate into a the 3d world.

do you find that you run out of holes with anything other than a basic MA? looks like the 9:1 batwing worked fine and that is one of our bread/butter systems (with an I'D instead of a MPD).

-mike
    My opinions posted here are my own and not representative of my employer or my IAFF local.

DC That is amazing! How I haven't seen this is beyond me....So bare with me as an example you could essentially tension the UFO horizontally between two anchor points then connect a main line to it and descend or raise vertically?
    Mike
    "Training Prepares You...For Moments That Define You

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stickboy42 View Post
    Sweet Kelly,
    I've been curious about the ufo for a bit now. takes the 2d plate into a the 3d world.

do you find that you run out of holes with anything other than a basic MA? looks like the 9:1 batwing worked fine and that is one of our bread/butter systems (with an I'D instead of a MPD).

-mike
    I'm a huge fan of the MPD for a number of reasons, not the least of which is its ability to quickly convert from a lowering device to a component in an MA system. It's almost as easy to skip a 3:1 and just go straight to a 5:1 because of the becket on the MPD. Given that I can quickly have that kind of MA plus the ability to throw a COD on the UFO and construct another haul system with a presumably greater haul field, I'm pretty confident that there are enough holes for whatever haul systems I need. I suppose if I were doing a "Tension W" for equalizing tracklines that things might start to get a bit crowded…

Quote Originally Posted by ProgressiveRescue View Post
    DC That is amazing! How I haven't seen this is beyond me....So bare with me as an example you could essentially tension the UFO horizontally between two anchor points then connect a main line to it and descend or raise vertically?
    Mike
    I’m not sure I understand your question about descend and raise vertically. You are able to raise and lower the UFO relative to the horizontal anchors if you have an available anchor higher up. This is easily accomplished with the UFO because of the 3 available planes to rig to. If you don’t have a high anchor for the vertical rigging leg, you basically just have a 2 point anchor on the same plane as your horizontal anchor legs and have all of the limitations that come with that.

By adding as third or even fourth anchor, however, you open up your “field of fire” for which directions you can pull. In the first picture you can see a back anchor leg, which is the AZTEK down to the grate. It, along with the orange rope (the vertical anchor leg) is doing the majority of work resisting the forward pull of the MPD. If you look at the reaction force of the COD in the batwing, you can see that the anchor leg on the left and the back anchor leg are at 90 degrees to each other and are sharing the load. The red cordage used in the front tie is there to keep the system in place until the mainline is loaded.

For the second and third pictures we dropped the back AZTEK anchor leg out and kept the vertical leg. We also brought our system out in front of our horizontal anchors and raised it a bit so that we were really getting a good feel for using the vertical leg. The anchor angles were a bit more favorable than the pictures show. You can also see in my Capt. Morgan shot how the front tie slacked considerably.

Great explanation...and pose. This seems like a very versatile toll. I wish I could get some video on it being rigged...I can't find anything. I'm going to order two and have a go at it. If you have any other pics could you email me them?
    Mike

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ProgressiveRescue View Post
    I wish I could get some video on it being rigged...I can't find anything.
    Mike
    Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlciDjeqjUs

Good thing I took video yesterday.

Our goal was to run our mainline (orange) up the stairs and make a hard right in the middle of the hallway. It was more to see the rigging concepts of the UFO than anything else, which is why we kind of faked the funk with anchoring our MPD and I didn't really focus attention on that too much.

A few pics:

The UFO as a COD anchor in the hallway
    Name:  IMG_0924.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  22.9 KB

Anchors holding anchors

Name:  IMG_0933.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  20.1 KB

The two doorway anchors on the right of this pic are resisting the reaction force (that's for folks east of the Mississippi, resultant force west of...or if you're from Buncombe) of the COD

Name:  IMG_0938.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  31.4 KB
    Weekly updates on the world of rope:

http://rescue2training.com/journal.html

Kelly,
    Great Pics and the video overview was nice. You definitely got creative and tested the versatility of the UFO. Have you done any live load training with it yet?
    Mike Donahue

MembersZone Subscriber

Default UFO w/live load

Guys, here's a pic of the UFO being used for attachment points in a cross-haul. It was used during a SPRAT level II/III course in Chicago. We found it very effective at separating and aligning our lines. I have also found that using it as the primary attachment point for a stokes basket works well too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by collinmoon View Post
    Guys, here's a pic of the UFO being used for attachment points in a cross-haul. It was used during a SPRAT level II/III course in Chicago. We found it very effective at separating and aligning our lines. I have also found that using it as the primary attachment point for a stokes basket works well too.
    Seems like that would be adding a lot of gain to a basket yoke.

Congrats with your SPRAT cert Collin.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCFDRescue2 View Post

The two doorway anchors on the right of this pic are resisting the reaction force (that's for folks east of the Mississippi, resultant force west of...or if you're from Buncombe) of the COD

Attachment 20744
    Yes Kelly, Buncombe too. Hey if you're ever in the neighborhood again... I've got some rope ya know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EricUlner View Post
    Seems like that would be adding a lot of gain to a basket yoke.

Congrats with your SPRAT cert Collin.

Thanks Eric, if utilizing the UFO in replace of a bull-ring or anchor plate, is there that much difference in the gain?

Forum Member

Thanks Eric, if utilizing the UFO in replace of a bull-ring or anchor plate, is there that much difference in the gain?
    Probably not, as those aren't exactly low gain methods either. Have a look here for low gain and clean-

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EricUlner View Post
    Probably not, as those aren't exactly low gain methods either. Have a look here for low gain and clean-
    Got it, pretty slick...so everything goes directly into what looks like some interlocking bowlines?

Forum Member

Sweet Kelly,

-mike
    Can someone explain the 9:1 batwing to me? I'm not familiar with that term.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

3:1 system pulling on a 3:1 system making it a 9:1. The second throw of the system is typically at < or equal to 90 deg resembling some sort of mutant one-winged bat. I'd love to hear others' histories on this term and other definitions. It's in a few books out there.

If you make the second throw of the system 3x longer than the first throw they theoretically will all "two block" at the same time, meaning they will reset equally and at the same time instead of having to reset the 2nd throw over and over again before the first needs resetting...
    My opinions posted here are my own and not representative of my employer or my IAFF local.

Forum Member

Got it, pretty slick...so everything goes directly into what looks like some interlocking bowlines?
    Collin,

Not interlocking, but a double bowline with long tails terminated with double overhand stopper knots. My main attachment is the set-of-fours of my AZTEK, rigged 4:1cd with the ratchet on my end. Purcell Prusik on one of the tails (doesn't matter which one) attached to my sternal- serves as my belay point. In training, if a live "casualty" in the litter, that person is connected to the other tail via Purcell Prusik for a belay attachment. My long tail is rigged long enough to be able to move down as far as need be on the s-o-f to perhaps clear a coming obstacle/loose debris from the wall that may otherwise hit us later, as in a cliff environment- pic attached.

So how are things in Chicago-land?

Forum Member

3:1 system pulling on a 3:1 system making it a 9:1. The second throw of the system is typically at < or equal to 90 deg resembling some sort of mutant one-winged bat. I'd love to hear others' histories on this term and other definitions. It's in a few books out there.

If you make the second throw of the system 3x longer than the first throw they theoretically will all "two block" at the same time, meaning they will reset equally and at the same time instead of having to reset the 2nd throw over and over again before the first needs resetting...
    Ah, ok. Here we call that a 3:1 with a 3:1 piggy back. Just the different terminology. I do like the bat-wing term though so it differentiates the 90° piggy back of the system instead of in line.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Kewl. You guys are getting it...

Name:  CIMG0009.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  41.8 KB

Forum Member

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlciDjeqjUs

Good thing I took video yesterday.

Our goal was to run our mainline (orange) up the stairs and make a hard right in the middle of the hallway. It was more to see the rigging concepts of the UFO than anything else, which is why we kind of faked the funk with anchoring our MPD and I didn't really focus attention on that too much.

A few pics:

The UFO as a COD anchor in the hallway
    Attachment 20742

Anchors holding anchors

Attachment 20743

Attachment 20744
    To physicists, the terms resultant force and reaction force (as in action/reaction force pair) have two different meanings. Resultant force is the correct terminology to be used here; a physicist would tell you that the term reaction force is not the correct terminology.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by servantleader View Post
    To physicists, the terms resultant force and reaction force (as in action/reaction force pair) have two different meanings. Resultant force is the correct terminology to be used here; a physicist would tell you that the term reaction force is not the correct terminology.
    That's why I'm a fireman. While I know the difference, I learned it as a "reaction force" in a crane rigging manual from the 50's that I had read and I've been using it interchangeably with "resultant force" ever since. Old habits die hard I suppose. It is also works better for me when explaining it to the stubborn guys at work who refuse to accept anything new. It doesn't sound as nerdy or exotic to them.
    Weekly updates on the world of rope:

http://rescue2training.com/journal.html

Forum Member

That's why I'm a fireman. While I know the difference, I learned it as a "reaction force" in a crane rigging manual from the 50's that I had read and I've been using it interchangeably with "resultant force" ever since. Old habits die hard I suppose. It is also works better for me when explaining it to the stubborn guys at work who refuse to accept anything new. It doesn't sound as nerdy or exotic to them.
    S'ok. Your understanding of physics is way better than my understanding of being a firefighter. There's at least one physicist out here who sometimes wishes he could be a firefighter full time. :-)

Thread Information