Forum Member

Default 9/11/11 trip to NY - Need advice

I'm thinking about riding to NYC for the 10th anniversary of 9/11. I've never been to New York before so I could use some advice:

- Where to stay? Get a hotel in the City, or outside someplace like Elizabeth or Newark? Cost isn't really an issue, I'm more concerned with logistics, traffic, etc.

- Getting around - I'll be riding a motorcycle - Would it be crazy to attempt to drive in the City? Is it going to be impossible to find parking near the WTC site? If I stay in the City should I leave the bike at the hotel and walk or take a cab or public transportation? If I stay outside can I ride into town and park, or should I take the train, etc.?

- Events - Where can I find a schedule of events happening in NYC on 9/11?

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

Forum Member

Lodging is all about how much you want to pay. Parking will cost extra and won't be cheap.

As for driving, I wouldn't. Stick with public transportation.

If you do drive to the city, once you find a place to park, leave the bike there until you leave.

I'd consider taking the train into the city, staying at a hotel near where you expect to spend most of your time, and planning on walking, cabbing, or taking the subway to get anywhere else as needed.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

The Affinia Hotel is nice - not sure what pricing will be - it is across from Penn Station so easy access to pretty much anywhere. There is a firehouse around hte corner - forget which station - but you may be able to work out a parking arrangement with them - especially since you will have a bike which doesn't take up much room.

Forum Member

stayed at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square
    234 W 48th Street

not cheap not expensive

rooms small, but good enough to sleep in

right off time square, can catch bus, taxi, tiour bus

my first time there, I do not think I would even drive a car there let alone a motorcycle.

There is a fire station around the corner, maybe you can leave it there, make sure you ask the hotel about parking, if any, and how much it would cost

the times sq fire station

first trip I would stay on manhattan.

I had a great time felt safe, enjoyed the non brand restaurants, cafes, bakeries, and alot open 24 hours.

I did the bus tour and it was great to see alot of the city:::

http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/category.php?cat=DDT

did a three day pass and you can hop on and hop off, sometimes easier and cheaper than taxi

I wish I would have done the night tour

Forum Member

I plan on tripping down there myself, I was going to make it a one day get there super early leave kind of late but now, Im considering an overnight

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    There is a firehouse around hte corner - forget which station - but you may be able to work out a parking arrangement with them - especially since you will have a bike which doesn't take up much room.
    That would be Engine 1/Ladder 24 at 142 W. 31st street. Less then 1 block from Penn Station.

Seeing as their are so many options for public transportation between Metro North, NJ Transit and the LIRR, it would be cheaper to stay outside the city and take a train in. NJ and NY suburbs will have plenty of cheap hotel options.

Thread Information