Thread: Calfire 2012

Forum Member

Default Calfire 2012

Hey everybody, first off thanks for taking the time to read this and replying (if anyone does).

I was interested in applying for CAL-Fire for the 2012 season, but I was not sure when will they be accepting applications. I check the website, but information was for the 2011 season. Should I contact each station independently ?

If anyone is able to provide information about the upcoming seasonal firefighter I position, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Rickey Ear.

Forum Member

They accept apps Nov-Jan 31st. You have to hand deliver an app to all the southern units, but can mail one in to the northern units.

FYI the state went from 4-0 staffing to 3-0 this season so they ended up not rehiring a ton of guys back. With the state budget the way it is i'd imagine they will retain 3-0 staffing for 2012. Which means not only are you competing against the hundreds of others like yourself but also those with several years in CalFire.

Good luck
    In Loving Memory of Paramedic Doug Odgers
    8.18.87-5.8.11
    RIP

Forum Member

Even though Cal Fire dropped their staffing, I know at least my unit (a larger one) was able to bring back the majority of firefighters that were effected by the staffing cuts. That being said, I dont think that its impossible to land a job with cal fire next season. The big catch is that you will prob need to put yourself through the 67 (basic firefighter) class in order to be hired. I would be very very surprised if any units will put that on again. So, if you can get that cert, and you politic hard and get to know diff engine captains, you could certainly have a shot. Cal fire has gotten very very comptetive, but it is a extremely great place to work. good luck.

Forum Member

I will echo what others have said. I know of many people with their cal-fire academy certs that are waiting for them to open up again and also heard that apps without them go to the round filing cabinet...

Just an FYI, if you are anywhere in the Sacramento Area, through the California Regional Fire Academy you earn your CalFire academy (and 15+ other certs). May be worth looking into that route if you need your FF1 as well.

My advice, if you have not already, as it seems to be the trend is to get on volunteering somewhere, get some experience there and on an ambulance if you can and it will make your application stand out of the thousands when they open this Jan...

Just to show there is a glimmer of hope, I got a call a little over a week ago and got picked up as a seasonal by one of CalFires contract county's (know what a contract county is as well). I owe it to one of my captains at my station I volunteer at for putting in the good word, and lucky I had all my ducks in a row and was hire ready.

Either way, good luck and hang in there. This is California, jobs are tough to come by, fire jobs are even harder... you (and I as well) have a ton of persevering to do in the time to come!

Cheers~

Forum Member

Didn't they changed the hours to 80 something for the Wildland Academy? or is it still 67?

Forum Member

The wildland cert has changed and includes more hours, however, if you have the old cert (67hour) you do not have to update or recert with the other hours (unless something has changed in the last few months). A lot of people still refer to it as the 67hour wildland cert.

Forum Member

My advice is to put in for every single unit if you want a chance at a job. Gov. Brown will be cutting an additional 15 million from CAL-FIRE. That puts the cuts to approximately 45 mill. Volunteer at a CAL-FIRE station if you can and start networking.

Good luck

Default CalFire 2012 Fire Season.............

Hi all,

Live in San Diego, Ca., been doing some reading regarding the CalFire 2012 hiring process.

I don't have the 67 hour academy but have experience as a city firefighter (paid), California firefighter I/II and also have a US Forest Service academy under my belt.
    Along with that, will my Paramedic license help me get hired without the 67 hour or am I a 'no go"?

Thanks to any of you that are able to respond and stay safe!

Thread Information