Forum Member

Question Fire Science Degree or Paramedic?

So i have an opportunity to go back to school and was wondering which path would create the greatest potential for success to enter into the Fire Service.

I've been a Volunteer at my station for about 2 years. I have my FFI with HM ops and awareness, EMT-B as well as a BS in Biology. And im hoping to be getting my FFII by the end of the year.

Basically, im wondering which might look (and set me up for success) better; a Paramedic with FFI and FFII or an EMT-B with a Fire Science Degree?

Thanks for any advice that may be given!
    Last edited by BNikkel7; 08-06-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Forum Member

As we all know, Paramedic is the easiet way in these days. What it really comes down to is, will you be happy as a Medic or as a FF? I was having a hard time deciding this as well. I decided to go with the degree and an EMT-B because I know I won't be happy as a Medic. My heart is in the fire suppression side. Hopefully this helps.

Forum Member

Default Medic's in need

I am kind of the same way. Im about 55-45% (Fire to EMS). So not a distinctly significant margin. But it looks like a lot of departments put more "weight" on being a Paramedic than having a Fire-Science Degree. I guess i will start doing some research to compare the two (price, time and accessibility) and hopefully that will help my decision.

Anyone else have any opinions/advice on this topic?

Forum Member

If the depts in your area require some degree of emt, would do it first

Fire science degree looks good but may or may not help till you start looking to promote, unless the city pays extra money for having one

Also some cities have tution reimbursement , so why not let them pay for some of the degree

Would not sit idle do as much as you can

Forum Member

Check with the departments that you are interested in. Some FD's do not have an ALS program, so they would probably be more interested in applicants with degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar N. View Post
    As we all know, Paramedic is the easiet way in these days. What it really comes down to is, will you be happy as a Medic or as a FF? I was having a hard time deciding this as well. I decided to go with the degree and an EMT-B because I know I won't be happy as a Medic. My heart is in the fire suppression side. Hopefully this helps.
    This is great advice. If you are not interested in being a paramedic, for the sake of your department and patients, DON'T! You will be unhappy riding the box/squad/medic engine and that will turn into poor care for your patients. Only go through a medic program if you want to be a PARAMEDIC, not a FF/PM.
    Good Luck
    In Loving Memory of Paramedic Doug Odgers
    8.18.87-5.8.11
    RIP

Forum Member

Thanks y'all. I'll keep looking around my local departments and talk with several FF around here to see what they know about the departments. I won't make any rash decision until i'm positive on what i want to do.

Thread Information