Thread: Hood question

Forum Member

Default Hood question

Hey everyone,
    I am starting my 240 this fall and am looking to get my own hood(for use at and beyond the academy). A friend of mine recomended the black version of the Majestic Pac II SVZ(http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...one_hood_nfpa/). Does anyone have experience with this hood or have any other recomendations?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I am a big fan of Carbon or P-84 Lenzing hoods. I have used the P-84 hood for about 20 years and the Carbon hoods for about 10 years. Both have offered great protection even with repeated entries during live fire training.

I tried a ventilated hood several years ago and I didn't like it. It seemed uncomfortably hot on the top of my head.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I am a big fan of Carbon or P-84 Lenzing hoods. I have used the P-84 hood for about 20 years and the Carbon hoods for about 10 years. Both have offered great protection even with repeated entries during live fire training.

I tried a ventilated hood several years ago and I didn't like it. It seemed uncomfortably hot on the top of my head.
    That was caused by you thinking of what LA would do in a live fire situation and it made you angry, causing your blood pressure to rise and thereby increasing the blood flow to the brain, causing the rise in your internal cranial temperature, making it uncomfortably hot on the top of your head!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl.Red View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I am starting my 240 this fall and am looking to get my own hood(for use at and beyond the academy). A friend of mine recomended the black version of the Majestic Pac II SVZ(http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...one_hood_nfpa/). Does anyone have experience with this hood or have any other recomendations?
    I'm a big fan of the Majestic product line, and we use them. We just switched from the black ultra carbon for the material we purchase to the PBI for a number of reasons. The TPP is better with the PBI, the fabric is softer and has a better "feel" to many of the guys, and the price I believe was less.

If you're as big a geek on this stuff as I am, use the downloads from their site to look at the properties of each material. http://www.majhoods.com/default.asp?contentID=10
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies all! I appreciate your input.

Thread Information