Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by irons33fd View Post
    I have more of a question to go along with this discussion than a comment. We have selectomatics, phantom adjustable gallonage and chief break apart nozzles where I work. Who has much experience with any of these and in your opinion what are the up/downsides of each?? Also where in your opinion does the adjustable gallonage come into play if at all??? I personally believe there are much better options for a nozzle to take into a structure fire than adjustable gallonage.
    Select-O-Matics: In my opinion every bit as good as the more famous TFTs. I prefer the SM-30 because of it's higher flow. Like every other automatic it does what it is designed to do and usually the problem comes from lack of training for the nozzle person, the pump operator, company officers, and lack of maintenance. Available in 75 or 100 psi models.

Phantom Adjustable Gallonage Nozzle: Again does exactly what it was designed to do, allow control of the flow by dialing a specific gallonage flow. Coordination between the nozzle operator and the pump operator is paramount. If the nozzle is set at one gpm and the pump operator is pumping for another either the nozzle will be underpumped and have a poor quality stream, or be overpumped and have greater nozzle reaction. There is some greater versatility because you can dial down to a flow for a brush or nuisance fire and then up for a heavy flow interior fire attack. Available in 75 or 100 psi models.

Chief Nozzles: Single gallonage/Single pressure nozzles. Designed to flow a set gallonage at a set nozzle pressure. Such as 200 gpm at 75 psi. For best performance the pump operator must pump the proper pressure to make that flow happen. Available in numerous gpms and in 50, 75, and 100 psi models.

I freely admit my favorite is the Chief nozzle. Simplicity at its best. Few moving parts, designed to be operated with the bale all the way open, nothing to set for flow, just open the bale and away you go. My #1 POC FD uses the Elkhart Chief 75 psi/200 gpm combination nozzle tip hooked to a pistol grip Elkhart shut-off with a 1 1/4 inch slug tip. We initially underpump the combo tip to around 55 psi to get around 160 gpm, we can of course go to 75 psi and flow 200 gpm, or toss the combo tip altogether and flow around 300 gpm at around 40 psi through the 1 1/4 inch tip. We do use 2 inch hose though so the flows are well with in it's capability.

My thought on nozzles? Keep the type limited and if possible make them all the same or at least the same type.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    We teach the rookies all the way open or all the way closed when fighting fire here. TFT's bale gating operation takes that and throws it out the window.
    Thats like driving with the gas all the way to the floor or all the off.

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver6102 View Post
    Thats like driving with the gas all the way to the floor or all the off.
    Exactly. Attacking a fire in the fully developed stage is like a drag race to get it extinguished. In a drag race you have the pedal all the way on the floor, until the race is over. Once the fire is darkened down gating back is fine.

It is nothing less than stupid to attack a fire with a partially opened nozzle.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    It is nothing less than stupid to attack a fire with a partially opened nozzle.
    Been in many fires that only need a few cracks of the nozzle. I agree that new people should be trained to handle the line fully opened, if they can't then they need to look for a new profession, but there are many situations where a fully opened nozzle does 2+ times damage than the fire has done. This is where the knowledge/experience and the command/control of the company officer comes in but it should also be taught in training. 100% agree that fully involved means fully open but the in between is just as important.
    Last edited by Firemedic 61; 10-30-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Yeah if the fire is small sure just crack the nozzle, yeah you can knock down a fully involved room that way. But why mess around with it? Hit it full bore and be done.
    Bring enough hose.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

You don't need an automatic nozzle to crack the nozzle to extinguish a small fire. It works fine with any type of nozzle.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information