Forum Member

My pager is a Minitor V. It has some kind of connector on the very bottom. but the problem there is that it would be impossible to connect anything to it while it's on the charger.

Second. I did think about connecting an antenna to my radio, but I'm not sure what kind of connector it uses. The male end which is on the antenna itself looks like the male end of an analog TV connector. (The part that's on the TV itself.)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kerrjon View Post
    My pager is a Minitor V. It has some kind of connector on the very bottom. but the problem there is that it would be impossible to connect anything to it while it's on the charger.

Second. I did think about connecting an antenna to my radio, but I'm not sure what kind of connector it uses. The male end which is on the antenna itself looks like the male end of an analog TV connector. (The part that's on the TV itself.)
    You need an rf to an bnc connector.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Kerrjon: Hwoods has given some excellent advice. Two of the scanner specs that are most improtant in your situation are the SENSITIVITY and the SIGNAL to NOISE RATIO. Looking at your suggestion of BC350C I pulled up the manual and checked for the specifications. This scanner does not list the sensitivity nor the signal to noise ratio. In fact it doesn't list a whole lot of useful specs at all. The fore-runner to this model (BC350A) is a POS as far as specs are concerned. Considering the current state-of-the-art for scanners you should not consider a radio with a sensitivity of more than 0.3 micro-volts and a Signal to Noise ratio of at least 20 db SINAD. As for an antenna, it is possible to construct a 1/4 wave in the following manner: For the 159.18 mhz used by your dispatch... Strip the outer covering (insulation) off the end of your co-ax for 18 inches. Slide the braid back from the end causing the braid to loosen. Work the bulge down to the end of the dtripped area, and taking a small screwdriver, work the insulated center conductor out through the braid. Take 3 feet of 1/2 inch plastic water line and drill a hole in the side at the mid point. Work the braid toward one end and the center conductor toward the other end. Seal all three openings with RTV rubber (bathtub calk) Tape the "antenna" to a 4' wood stick and attach the stick to a good support or the side of your trailer. 159.18 is supposed to be a repeater frequency so it should have a fairly good signal, even as far as 30 miles from the transmitter. The F.D. operating frequency in your area is in the 154 mhz range and the suggested antenna should work fine to receive those signals. Do not use this sort of an antenna to transmit, since there is a significant mismatch at the point where the shield and center conductor go in opposite directions. It will have a high Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) and if the coax is the right length, will destroy the output transistors on a transmitter.
    Last edited by KuhShise; 08-10-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Thread Information