Forum Member

Default Palm Bay Fire Dept

I was wondering if anyone from the fourm applied with this dept Before? Does anyone have any insight to the Palm Bay Fire Dept?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefinestservice View Post
    I was wondering if anyone from the fourm applied with this dept Before? Does anyone have any insight to the Palm Bay Fire Dept?
    It's not looking good in Palm Bay at all. Don't waste your time. They got a grant to hire 12, but the city and the dept are completely broke. They are trying to implement a 300 dollar fire fee on the citizens there and now the citizens are ****ed. The article I'm attaching is one of three put in the paper since yesterday. Total cluster F right now unfortunately. I believe they also have to cut 10 to 15 percent from their budget. So from what I heard everything is on hold.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...news|text|Home

Forum Member

Here's another one from today. Make sure you read the comments when your done. Let's you know what most tax payers think of us.
    http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...t|Local%20News

PPH
    Forum Member

I applied for their current hiring/elgibility list and got an email from them about the written test yesterday. Not sure if I'm gonna test or not...

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thank you RustyFF.
    It seems like its on a grant. That is the same type situation We are dealing with by where I live.
    over 100$ to test
    Does anyone know there was a previous list or if they are hiring form this new batch?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefinestservice View Post
    Thank you RustyFF.
    It seems like its on a grant. That is the same type situation We are dealing with by where I live.
    over 100$ to test
    Does anyone know there was a previous list or if they are hiring form this new batch?
    They picked up a couple from the old list not to long ago. If you're not on somewhere yet I'd say go for it. But if you're thinking of changing depts you better give it some serious thought. It's a good place to work 4 man engines and they don't transport. But i think they might be going to 3 man soon. There actually was an article here on firehouse.com last week about them having to do with the fire assessment fee. Just make sure you do your research. Good Luck.

Forum Member

the link that rustyff posted. i was reading the comments & i dont understand why are people so against the fire service?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LFD6551 View Post
    the link that rustyff posted. i was reading the comments & i dont understand why are people so against the fire service?
    Are u on the job? I noticed ur in nj, maybe its different there but....the state of floridas county and city commisioners have the entire world convinced down heer that those firemen making 14 bucks an hr are the reason we are in an economic crisis....and that damn fire dept union is the engine turning it all....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PPH View Post
    I applied for their current hiring/elgibility list and got an email from them about the written test yesterday. Not sure if I'm gonna test or not...
    Are you on the job already? If not I wouldn't pass up any opportunity to apply to any dept regardless of the situation, not exactly plentiful amount of jobs down here.. just my opinion though.

PPH
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    Are you on the job already? If not I wouldn't pass up any opportunity to apply to any dept regardless of the situation, not exactly plentiful amount of jobs down here.. just my opinion though.
    No, i'm not on the job yet and I agree with you 100%. Any FF job opportunity is a good opportunity in my book. That being said...I'm B R O K E!!! My two income home has been down to one income for some time now and its catching up with me.

I have a written test for Orange County at the end of the month and their CPAT not long after that, then an Interview with Brevard in September. I live in PBC so thats about 4-5 hours round trip for each of those three trips. Plus, if I can swing it, I may be testing for a job in WV (thankfully I fly cheap through a family member and can stay with family there) in the next 3-4 weeks and will probably need at least a rental for that.

Testing for Palm Bay is gonna add at least 3 more 4 hour road trips plus the $100 cost of testing. Not to mention taking time off work....Its just too much at once for me. I hate to pass up an opportunity, but I may have too.

Forum Member

Yes. I would avoid that department. Their situation has been trending downward since the real estate bubble and subsequent burst. During the "boom years", I was told they were a jam-up department to work for. I live in the same county Palm Bay is in, and they are regularly in the local paper chronicling they money woes.
    I understand they have advertised vacancies to fill, but if they are on life support with the safer grant, that should not be any assurance to any new hire there. Once they money dries up, and the property tax revenue is still isn't there, the threat of layoffs will follow.
    It is a 100K+ populated city and they are in bad shape.

Good Luck!

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by Dell205 View Post
    Yes. I would avoid that department. Their situation has been trending downward since the real estate bubble and subsequent burst. During the "boom years", I was told they were a jam-up department to work for. I live in the same county Palm Bay is in, and they are regularly in the local paper chronicling they money woes.
    I understand they have advertised vacancies to fill, but if they are on life support with the safer grant, that should not be any assurance to any new hire there. Once they money dries up, and the property tax revenue is still isn't there, the threat of layoffs will follow.
    It is a 100K+ populated city and they are in bad shape.

Good Luck!
    Largest city in Brevard, and one of the largest in the state, only 5 stations. Palm Bay is full of trash, I avoid that place like the plague. Did my medic clinicals on 83 Rescue in PB. Saw some good stuff.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Thread Information