1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default Locking Horns with AF Recruitor

    Hello to All Sorry if i Make a mistake or two as i am relatively new.

    Just thought I put up the situation I am currently in right now to see if maybe anyone could help.

    Alright First off Heres a little info about myself. I am 18y/o Female with a EMT-Basic License who is looking to do Fire Protection.

    I have always planned on joining the AF after high school. I took an EMT Basic course my senior year and enjoyed it a lot and got to work with ambulances companies and the fire Dept. I've decided its something i really want to do.
    I Officially entered Air Force DEP in May and as of now my Leave date is November 1st 2011. I have no job. When i was at MEPS i only made a list of 5 jobs i liked because I didnt have my drivers license and diploma which they needed for me to get qualifed for more jobs, so i signed no job paperwork. I have talked to my recruitor multiple times insisting i want to do fire protection. At this point i am disqualifed because i couldnt lift enough weight. I really dont have a problem with the weight its the quick snapping motion with my wrists to get the weight over my head. Once i flip the weight im fine. I have talked to him multiple times requesting that I go back to MEPS to retest. (since he says i could). I scored high on the asvab 76? with most scores in the 80s. But because i scored highest in mechanical he wants me to do open mechanical. I dont want to do OPEN anything. He is leaving this post in december and really does seem to care about getting recruits. I have a feeling he has meet his qouta for the year with the amout of kids we have in DEP right now. He does not answer his phone calls and doesnt delete his old voicemails so you cant leave a message. We never have a DEP meeting without it being rescheduled 3 times (infact i missed the last one because of it). He can never give me a straight answer and he is NEVER in his office. Now one job i did qualify for was Heavy Matience - Firetruck. Which I wouldnt mine doing but rumors from multiple people already service tell me this is not the way to go Because its in the category "Heavy Matience" They can have me fixing anything under the sun and techincally if your not doing the job you signed for you cannot promote. Not that he even listened to me when i Mentioned it. According to other people in DEP this is just his usual behavior. Finally 2 weeks ago he told me we would sit down soon and talk jobs...Mechanical Jobs to be specific, I told him that i didnt want that and he didnt take me seriosuly. So I called him 2 days later (and left a message since he didnt asnwer the phone again) stating specifically that I wanted to get qualfied and do Fire Protection or else i'd start reconsidering because at this point I can still withdraw from DEP (which i really dont want to do). He called me but I was out of town but he didnt leave a message. So I called him today and you guessed it he didnt answer.
    I Understand Fire protection is hard to get But My leave date isnt until next the Fiscal Year which should mean more spots correct? So if i could just get qualifed maybe it could get worked out, I am willing to wait. Although I really do not want to jump services I have considered 68W in the Army if this doesnt work out. Since I want to do Fire or Emergency Medical and the army is better about giving signed contracts before basic training.
    I really want to serve but I don't see were it does anyone any good if I am not happy with the job I do.

    Input/Help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler911 View Post
    Hello to All Sorry if i Make a mistake or two as i am relatively new.

    Just thought I put up the situation I am currently in right now to see if maybe anyone could help.

    Alright First off Heres a little info about myself. I am 18y/o Female with a EMT-Basic License who is looking to do Fire Protection.

    I have always planned on joining the AF after high school. I took an EMT Basic course my senior year and enjoyed it a lot and got to work with ambulances companies and the fire Dept. I've decided its something i really want to do.
    I Officially entered Air Force DEP in May and as of now my Leave date is November 1st 2011. I have no job. When i was at MEPS i only made a list of 5 jobs i liked because I didnt have my drivers license and diploma which they needed for me to get qualifed for more jobs, so i signed no job paperwork. I have talked to my recruitor multiple times insisting i want to do fire protection. At this point i am disqualifed because i couldnt lift enough weight. I really dont have a problem with the weight its the quick snapping motion with my wrists to get the weight over my head. Once i flip the weight im fine. I have talked to him multiple times requesting that I go back to MEPS to retest. (since he says i could). I scored high on the asvab 76? with most scores in the 80s. But because i scored highest in mechanical he wants me to do open mechanical. I dont want to do OPEN anything. He is leaving this post in december and really does seem to care about getting recruits. I have a feeling he has meet his qouta for the year with the amout of kids we have in DEP right now. He does not answer his phone calls and doesnt delete his old voicemails so you cant leave a message. We never have a DEP meeting without it being rescheduled 3 times (infact i missed the last one because of it). He can never give me a straight answer and he is NEVER in his office. Now one job i did qualify for was Heavy Matience - Firetruck. Which I wouldnt mine doing but rumors from multiple people already service tell me this is not the way to go Because its in the category "Heavy Matience" They can have me fixing anything under the sun and techincally if your not doing the job you signed for you cannot promote. Not that he even listened to me when i Mentioned it. According to other people in DEP this is just his usual behavior. Finally 2 weeks ago he told me we would sit down soon and talk jobs...Mechanical Jobs to be specific, I told him that i didnt want that and he didnt take me seriosuly. So I called him 2 days later (and left a message since he didnt asnwer the phone again) stating specifically that I wanted to get qualfied and do Fire Protection or else i'd start reconsidering because at this point I can still withdraw from DEP (which i really dont want to do). He called me but I was out of town but he didnt leave a message. So I called him today and you guessed it he didnt answer.
    I Understand Fire protection is hard to get But My leave date isnt until next the Fiscal Year which should mean more spots correct? So if i could just get qualifed maybe it could get worked out, I am willing to wait. Although I really do not want to jump services I have considered 68W in the Army if this doesnt work out. Since I want to do Fire or Emergency Medical and the army is better about giving signed contracts before basic training.
    I really want to serve but I don't see were it does anyone any good if I am not happy with the job I do.

    Input/Help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    How can you tell a recruiter is lying? His/her lips are moving.

    That does not help you now though. I don't know what to tell you- if you already signed DEP paperwork, you might be screwed. Sounds like he knows that getting you into Fire Protection might be a challenge, especially given your low ASVAB scores (no offense but FP is a highly sought-after MOS and the lower your scores the harder it will be for you to get in.) There are a few guys on here who may have some better insight for you but my assessment is that it does not look good, given you have already signed DEP papers. Should have held out for a written guarantee before you signed anywhere. As for him not returning phone calls, write a registered letter to him (return receipt requested) demanding a meeting with him and his supervisor. Circulate a copy of the letter to that supervisor. That should get his attention.

    And as for 68W in the Army- DONT DO IT!!!! You'll spend more time with an M-16 in your hands on escort duty in a sandy place than you will ever with a hoseline. The Army is slowly phasing out 68W. If you want FP, go USAF period.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    True that....According to DOD Directive 1332.14 I can still get out of the AF even though the contract is binding. However the AF will never allow me back which is why I do not want to do it. I also wouldnt mind taking the asvab again, I've only taken it once.
    Technically since im in DEP i cannot talk to other services. But that doesnt mean it applies to other AF Recruitors So I may approach another one in my area to see if they will listen.
    I plan on digging my heels in for as long as possible

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    Service is not for everyone, And especially if you are in a job you do not want to be in

    Why are you not looking at city departments??????????


    Suggest you bail on dep

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler911 View Post
    But that doesnt mean it applies to other AF Recruitors So I may approach another one in my area to see if they will listen.
    I plan on digging my heels in for as long as possible
    NO NO NO NO NO NO. YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO TO ANOTHER RECRUITER. I cannot remember when/where but there is another thread in here somewhere from another kid that did the same thing. BAD IDEA. The recruiters DO talk to one another, not to mention they all have access to the same database of your recruitment information- who you talked to, when, etc. The minute Recruiter #2 finds out you have been already talking to someone, he/she will fook with you even worse. The minute you leave recruiter #2's office, he/she will pick up the phone and call #1, and will say "Hey, guess who was just in my office?" And #1 will fook with you even worse.

    Dig in your heels, and keep dealing with number one. As I suggested, send him a letter by registered mail, or even an email (with read receipt) and circulate it to his immediate supervisor.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Our City Dept just combined fire and police to save money and just ditched 10 jobs. The only person i know around here who has actually gotten hired instead of fired has been searching for a job for 2 years.

    @FWDBuff, yeah I see your point and i dont want to be in even more trouble

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    What state are you in????


    Have you applied in other cities????

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Michigan haha....where the unemployment rate is still 10.5%. I Havent applied to other cities but most local goverments around here are turning to public safety and dropping people to save money. I dont know if its the same other places but here you have to work for the dept where you live. Theres no volunteer dept around here either (i could at least get some expeirence that way). I just applied for an EMT job at a local company and havent heard anything yet.
    I am still thinking about the services but maybe AF just isn't the one for me.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    Suggest if you go , make sure it is a job you want, and one that you can use, if you get out


    Are you able to move to other states????

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler911 View Post
    I am still thinking about the services but maybe AF just isn't the one for me.
    US Navy Hospital Corpsman???
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    548

    Default

    FWDBuff:

    68W's are Combat Medics, not Fire Fighters.

    12M's on the other hand, are indeed FF's. If you can actually land a FF spot on active duty, it's a pretty good gig.

    When you are state side you get to wear civvies to work (providing you work at the department and not at Batt.), you walk, talk, act, and work like you a GS employee. Like i said, pretty nice gig. Your deployments are a little messed up depending on if you get an actual fire mission while you are deployed. Most of our 12m's are assigned to an ordinance company, so they can end up doing all kinds of ammo nonsense, rather then doing Fire Work. As most of the AF/Marine/Army bases are contracted out now, that's the case with most of the branches.

    I think the AF only has the JBB now to deploy to in Iraq, and not much more in Afghanistan, so the idea of joining just to 'do your job' while you deploy isn't a very strong one.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    68W's are Combat Medics, not Fire Fighters.
    12M's on the other hand, are indeed FF's. I syand corrected.

    When you are state side you get to wear civvies to work (providing you work at the department and not at Batt.), you walk, talk, act, and work like you a GS employee.
    Where in the CONUS does the Army utilize 12M's actively other than Fort Rucker? I thought all Army facilities were protected by 0081 personnel.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Where in the CONUS does the Army utilize 12M's actively other than Fort Rucker? I thought all Army facilities were protected by 0081 personnel.
    They have them at Ft. Carson. I think they have them at Ft. Lewis as well. Scofield barracks and Wainwright (not conus) are another options if i'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by peterbound; 08-10-2011 at 10:42 PM.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hillsboro, MO
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    How can you tell a recruiter is lying? His/her lips are moving.

    That does not help you now though. I don't know what to tell you- if you already signed DEP paperwork, you might be screwed.
    She is not screwed she can get out at any time until she is at MEPs before she ships to bootcamp and raises her hand and swears in she can get out at anytime. The recruiters try to make you think you are stuck and have already committed to the military but they are full of S*** pardon my french. Also what they don/t make public news is you have up to 6 months after bootcamp that you can get out with no penalty. My advice is if they don't give you what you want don't go in because you will regret it and hate every second of your four or more year contract. Just remember don't believe anything till its in writing and you have a copy to prove it. I was lucky I had an awesome recruiter that didn't lie to me and told me straight how it was and what to expect. Hope that helps.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    102

    Default

    We have a young lady from our ANG unit scheduled for the basic school this fall. I don't think she had an issue getting a fire protection slot even though the career field is pretty full. Shoot me an e-mail. I'll pass it along to her when I get back from vacation.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Yeah I really Don't plan on going unless I get something that i will enjoy. I totally understand service before self but it does no one any good if i do a job i hate.
    I have thought of Navy Corpsman and Army Combat Medic because i enjoy ems already. So I just think i need to keep putting some thought into it and sleep on it.

    As for my recruitor. I havent talked to that guy in close to a month...

  17. #17
    Worldwide Menace
    DFurtman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wandering the World
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMZ191 View Post
    We have a young lady from our ANG unit scheduled for the basic school this fall. I don't think she had an issue getting a fire protection slot even though the career field is pretty full. Shoot me an e-mail. I'll pass it along to her when I get back from vacation.
    Only difference being that ANG only recruits for their own base and it's not an Active Duty enlistment. (1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year)

    -Damien

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Just Got done talking with my recruitor after sending a letter instead of trying to leave him a message. He had to ask me to help him, He got in trouble for sending a recruit to MEPS for basic who was 7lbs over his max. So Now i have to see the guy above him and get my weight and hieght checked and act like everything is okay. He said after that we would talk on tuesday about working out a job or if we couldnt come to a conclusion complete seperation from DEP.
    Maybe him getting in trouble will help me get something worked out, unlikely but we'll see how it goes.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Recruiter. Recruiter, recruiter, recruiter.

    Sorry. That was bothering me.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    recruiter. Recruiter, recruiter, recruiter.

    Sorry. That was bothering me.
    lmfao.. I am so glad I wasn't the only one.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Recruiter. Recruiter, recruiter, recruiter.

    Sorry. That was bothering me.
    Haha, Sorry about that. I notice it everytime After I post a comment and it is a bad habit... : )

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler911 View Post
    Hello to All Sorry if i Make a mistake or two as i am relatively new.

    Just thought I put up the situation I am currently in right now to see if maybe anyone could help.

    Alright First off Heres a little info about myself. I am 18y/o Female with a EMT-Basic License who is looking to do Fire Protection.

    I have always planned on joining the AF after high school. I took an EMT Basic course my senior year and enjoyed it a lot and got to work with ambulances companies and the fire Dept. I've decided its something i really want to do.
    I Officially entered Air Force DEP in May and as of now my Leave date is November 1st 2011. I have no job. When i was at MEPS i only made a list of 5 jobs i liked because I didnt have my drivers license and diploma which they needed for me to get qualifed for more jobs, so i signed no job paperwork. I have talked to my recruitor multiple times insisting i want to do fire protection. At this point i am disqualifed because i couldnt lift enough weight. I really dont have a problem with the weight its the quick snapping motion with my wrists to get the weight over my head. Once i flip the weight im fine. I have talked to him multiple times requesting that I go back to MEPS to retest. (since he says i could). I scored high on the asvab 76? with most scores in the 80s. But because i scored highest in mechanical he wants me to do open mechanical. I dont want to do OPEN anything. He is leaving this post in december and really does seem to care about getting recruits. I have a feeling he has meet his qouta for the year with the amout of kids we have in DEP right now. He does not answer his phone calls and doesnt delete his old voicemails so you cant leave a message. We never have a DEP meeting without it being rescheduled 3 times (infact i missed the last one because of it). He can never give me a straight answer and he is NEVER in his office. Now one job i did qualify for was Heavy Matience - Firetruck. Which I wouldnt mine doing but rumors from multiple people already service tell me this is not the way to go Because its in the category "Heavy Matience" They can have me fixing anything under the sun and techincally if your not doing the job you signed for you cannot promote. Not that he even listened to me when i Mentioned it. According to other people in DEP this is just his usual behavior. Finally 2 weeks ago he told me we would sit down soon and talk jobs...Mechanical Jobs to be specific, I told him that i didnt want that and he didnt take me seriosuly. So I called him 2 days later (and left a message since he didnt asnwer the phone again) stating specifically that I wanted to get qualfied and do Fire Protection or else i'd start reconsidering because at this point I can still withdraw from DEP (which i really dont want to do). He called me but I was out of town but he didnt leave a message. So I called him today and you guessed it he didnt answer.
    I Understand Fire protection is hard to get But My leave date isnt until next the Fiscal Year which should mean more spots correct? So if i could just get qualifed maybe it could get worked out, I am willing to wait. Although I really do not want to jump services I have considered 68W in the Army if this doesnt work out. Since I want to do Fire or Emergency Medical and the army is better about giving signed contracts before basic training.
    I really want to serve but I don't see were it does anyone any good if I am not happy with the job I do.

    Input/Help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    I admit its been 25 years since I looked into USAF Fire Protection. But at that time, the only way I could be sure to get in was to join through my own ANG unit. I did get into Fire Protection at that time and once I was out of basic and fire school (yes, it was still at Chanute at that time), I was allowed to go active duty if I so desired. As it turned out, I got on the police department (don't ask how it happened) and was later activated for Desert Shield and then Desert Storm. I never did go active duty USAF other than for the Gulf war period, but had I not ended up with a full time job (that I just did retire from by the way), I most certainly would have gone active duty. Perhaps this might be a way for you to get what you want?

    I enjoyed my time both in the ANG and active duty! I made great friends that I still have to this day.

    Regardless of what you do, good luck with your future endeavor!

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Honestly, if you can not pass the weight test at MEPS, there is no way you should be sent to the fire academy just yet. It is a very demanding school and the fail rate is fairly high, especially at the physical portions (drags and carrys, firefighter PT, etc). The school is also very tough academically. With your ASVAB score, you should do OK as long as you buckle down and study. As for jumping branches, Id say dont do it. Im an Army firefighter and love it, but if Air Force was your first choice, dont settle. You are still young so there is plenty of time for you to train and improve in all areas. Do not rush, and above all do not let the recruiter dictate what you do. Goodluck and keep us posted!

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chadical View Post
    Honestly, if you can not pass the weight test at MEPS, there is no way you should be sent to the fire academy just yet. It is a very demanding school and the fail rate is fairly high, especially at the physical portions (drags and carrys, firefighter PT, etc). The school is also very tough academically. With your ASVAB score, you should do OK as long as you buckle down and study. As for jumping branches, Id say dont do it. Im an Army firefighter and love it, but if Air Force was your first choice, dont settle. You are still young so there is plenty of time for you to train and improve in all areas. Do not rush, and above all do not let the recruiter dictate what you do. Goodluck and keep us posted!
    Yeah i totally understand what you mean, which is why i was hoping my recruiter would work with me and be a tad more patient. I think i can managed the weight but i have a problem doing the "snap" to get it over my head. I dont mind any paticular branch i just want to do something that really is of interest of me and challenges me.

    With that said, I had a dep meeting today. I had made it clear to my recruiter that I wanted a contract, and i wasn't going to settle for mechanical or any "Open" slot (most of my friends ended up settling on open and got jobs they never wanted to do) or else i would de-enlist. After Weeks of telling me i was a valuble member to the US Air Force he dropped me like a hot rock. I expected him to try and talk me back into joining, but he didnt even do that he just was very nice and explained that he would fill out the De-enlisting paper work. He said generally i wouldnt be aloud to join the AF again but he said he would write the paperwork in a way were if i wanted i could get back in.

    I don't feel i was wrong in this situation and i'm glad i stood up for myself for what i wanted even though we couldnt work to an agreement. I of course have a plan B. So i'll see how it goes.....

  25. #25
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler911 View Post
    I Officially entered Air Force DEP in May and as of now my Leave date is November 1st 2011. I have no job. When i was at MEPS i only made a list of 5 jobs i liked because I didnt have my drivers license and diploma which they needed for me to get qualifed for more jobs, so i signed no job paperwork. I have talked to my recruitor multiple times insisting i want to do fire protection. At this point i am disqualifed because i couldnt lift enough weight.

    So when you went to MEPS and did the jobs list, you

    A. Had no Drivers License
    B. Had no HS Diploma
    C. Could not qualify physically
    D. Had marginal ASVAB scores

    And you blame the recruiter?

    Ok, if you really want to retest, send him a note, copied to his supervisor. USE SPELL CHECK! Ask if you can retest. USE SPELL CHECK. It is your friend! Briefly explain your situation and what you have done to remedy the issues. USE SPELL CHECK. Be positive, and don't assign blame to anyone other than yourself. Did I mention USE SPELL CHECK?

    The Air Force has no problem in making their quotas. They certainly don't need to work to fill Fire Protection. You are applying for a job - not doing any great service by applying as they know they can fill it many times over. If you expect them to do extra for you, you have to make it worth their while, as in why YOU?

    Otherwise it only makes sense for them to spend their time working to fill the tough to fill positions.

    I don't mean to beat you up with this - just saying.

    Have you considered going to college for fire protection? Even better going to a college that has fire departments that offer live in programs? Best of all, a college with fire protection programs that also has a live in program?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Grover Horns
    By wfire32 in forum The Engineer
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 03:06 AM
  2. Train Buffs......'little help?
    By E229Lt in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 05:53 PM
  3. Motorola HT1250 Question, Locking Feature?
    By Adam07003 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-15-2005, 08:25 PM
  4. Sirens and Air Horns
    By colfireman in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-23-2000, 09:12 PM
  5. Grover stutter tone air horns
    By Firefox in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2000, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register