Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Motivation To Regain My Fitness

Im sure you all heard this sob-story before but I need some help here. Im 36, have a wife and 5 year old daughter, I volunteer as a firefighter and work as a Fire Safety Rep for the NYS, I am about 100 pounds overweight, maybe more, because I went from working outside in labor work to working a desk. I have not changed my eating habbits and still eat in moderation but the lack of physical activity is killing me. I was 195 in Highschool playing baseball and now I am 310. I feel it every day and night and its depressing. I cant play in the yard with my daughter, I cant put my shoes on or get in and out of our car, and when I go interior at a fire I suck down a bottle in like 15 minutes and feel like dying afterwords. I need some helpful motivation to get me to loose the weight and get back in shape or my daughter might not have a dad to run around with, however short a time it may be before i pass out!
    I am going to the fire academy next week for 2 weeks and will go to the gym there daily, does anyone have any good advice for a routine to start with? I know you need cardio first, but than should I do weights? Any advice or friendly prodding would be appreciated, I need it, its affecting my health.
    Thanks and stay safe.
    "Amatuers train until they get it right, professionals train until they cant get it wrong."

Brian Jones, aka "Moose"
    Captain, Carlisle Fire Department

"my daughter might not have a dad to run around with"

That should be your motivation right there... All it takes is the first trip to the gym to get the ball rolling. Each time you go it gets easier and easier to find ways into the gym. Do cardio, and LOTS of it. Do full functional exercises that are going to burn the fat and make you lean. Do exercises with weights, but not bench pressing, squats, and all that...not until you hit the weight you want. Take a sledgehammer and beat a tire for 2 minutes, tie a rope to that tire and drag it... if you do weights do light weights and go fast. Try not to rest more than 30-45 seconds in between sets. Do things that are going to get your heart rate up, and add some resistance to it to increase calorie burn. The more you sweat, the better. But be sure to be taking in PLENTY of water!!

Through training methods I've made guys in our department get accustomed to, between a handful of guys there has been 200+lbs lost in the past year. We have guys 40+ in the best shape of their lives!

Get someone to work out with you and do workouts that are timed. This makes you work harder to compete against others, thus creating motivation.

You would be surprised of workouts you can create with things around your home! And if all else fails to where you can't get in a gym, or decide of things to use at home....just run. It's free, and you can do that anywhere.

When you're starting out, don't over do it or your recovery time will be low and it will take you a while to get back in the gym. Also, have a proper diet. Cut out pop, fast food, and anything fried. If you have to eat on the go, don't get any meal that comes with french fries. Grilled chicken wraps if you have to (McD's, Wendys, and most places have these).

#1 LOD deaths are related to heart attacks. Your hearts a muscle, so it needs a workout too!

PM me if there's anything else I can help with. Do it for yourself and your kids.
    Last edited by BennyT373; 08-09-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Thank you Benny for all the advice and motivation. I will try that routine next week at the academy, and then get some type of routine for home. I like the tire idea, like the combat challenge station right? You beat the crap out of a rubber thing on a track with a sledge? I like the dragging the tire too, I might just put my daughter on her wagon and pull that around the apartment complex for a few hours, I would get the workout and she would have fun!

Thanks again Benny, stay safe.
    "Amatuers train until they get it right, professionals train until they cant get it wrong."

Brian Jones, aka "Moose"

Similar to the combat challenge, even though the sled in the combat challenge is a 160lb steel sled lol. Hit a tire just works several muscles. If you just do fast movements with resistance, it increases your calorie burning. If you want to drag your daughter around, take the wheels off the wagon and feel the burn...

Also another positive...being fit is contagious. Will benefit your whole family. It can be some good family bonding (not suggesting to let your 5 year old have at it with a sledgehammer though)

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firemoose827 View Post
    I might just put my daughter on her wagon and pull that around the apartment complex for a few hours, I would get the workout and she would have fun!
    I like this idea.. include your daughter in your routine. You get to spend time with her.. you get exercise and loose weight, and you set a good example and instil good habits on her.

As above, I'd focus on cardio early on.. do things that will keep your heart rate fairly high (figure 70% of 220-age, ballpark) for 45-60 minutes.. go for a walk, pull your daughter in a wagon, a bike ride.. even the treadmill or stationary bike at home or gym. Also focus on some core cardio/strength training.. pushups, situps, medicine ball, abs.. Not weight lifting but stuff that get you moving your core.

If daily motivation is an issue, join a gym and see if they offer training services. They can set up a good routine and motivate you as needed. Or challenge other guys from the FD.. some guys here had a Biggest Looser type challenge that was pretty effective.

Look at your diet too.. you can exercise like mad but if you're still eating unhealthy it's all for nothing. Portion control and snacking are the biggies. Limit what you eat for dinner and avoid snacking in between meals. When you eat, go healthy. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats and legumes for protein. Avoid sugar, soda especially. Avoid/cut back on drinking. Avoid takeout and fast food like the plague.

Good luck! The hardest part is going to be getting yourself going.. once you're in a routine and you start seeing results things will be much easier and you'll be much happier!
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Your family should be your first motivation. A close second is you getting a job as a firefighter. If neither of those do it, find something else that does.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

First of all get up from the computer and television and get outside and begin to walk. Walk a few blocks to start, then increase it to more.

Go to the mall and walk around inside the mall several times. On weekends go to a school and run the track around the football field, that by the way, is a quarter of a mile lap.

Stop eating everything you see. Eat right. Lay off the whoppers and big macs. Get a membership at the local YMCA, get a trainer there to help you. Swim laps. Get a bicycle, ride that thing all over your neighborhood.

Set a standard and goals for your daily exercise. Get your family involved.

You want to live to be 50? You want to see that little girl grow up and walk her down the aisle one day? Do you want to hold your grandchild?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I def agree with the last post! Considering the shape you are currently in, competing in some of the previous mentioned exercises can put unwanted strain on the body too fast.

You won't get in the shape you want over night. It will be a bit more like a marathon then a 40 yard dash.

Start by taking a brisk walk(with water) around your neighborhood. Time it and try to beat that time. Maybe walk with some weights in your hand or maybe even a sweatsuit on. THEN progress. Your goal is to avoid injury at this point.

Try some swimming. Climb some stairs. Resistance training. Then eventually hit the weights. That's just my .02 cents. Goodluck sir. And like it has been said, bring your daughter with you. Great bonding time and motivation!!! You can do it!

Forum Member

I'd say keep a photo of your family with you and look at the picture to ignite the "Fire" in you. Do that every time you don't feel like going to the gym or you THINK you are too tired. You're major goal should be losing that weight so hit the cardio machine and do lots of mild intensity/long duration cardio works. Don't ditch cardio (moderate intensity/shorter duration) though, like previous posters said, you do need that heart working, especially since you fighting fire in current condition is a bad nono.

Also, I kid you not, best way to lose weight is walking. So do a lot of it. I lost 10lbs in 1 month while I was in the military and was deployed to 29 palms California for 2 months, and that was all from walking a mile to a cafeteria and a mile back to my platoon 3 times a day. I did nothing different and we PT'd (workout) very few in between. Another case in point is that I see so many obese people in DC/MD/VA area because we commute with cars all the time and when I visit New York sometimes, I definitely see less obese people because they walk more (and they walk fast!!).

Just don't go hardcore too fast or you'll hurt yourself, so listen to your body and recognize different types of pains. There are good pains and bad pains when you workout. Also, I highly recommend you take a joint supplement to help your joints taking all that pounding.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 08-10-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Thank you everyone, lots of good advice and good motivation too, I appreciate it all. I will start to walk every evening with my daughter in the wagon and than progress from there.

Thanks again everyone, and keep it coming.!

Brian Jones, aka "Moose"

Forum Member

If you are going to Montour Falls for 2 weeks the 1st thing is to foget about the elevator, as slow as it is, and take the stairs. Even if your room is up on the 5th floor, use the stairs. You have that big driveway there to walk around too. Walking is a great way to start any exercise program. Start small, so you don't get the aches and pains that can derail you. The Combat Challenge can be a good long term goal. I know a FF from western NY that lost 75# while preparing for the Challenge. I spent 30-45 mins. on a treadmill for over 2 months preparing for my 1st Challenge. That was 18 years ago @ 42. This past weekend I competed in the Challenge on the Canadian Tour @ age 60.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Fitguy51 View Post
    If you are going to Montour Falls for 2 weeks the 1st thing is to foget about the elevator, as slow as it is, and take the stairs. Even if your room is up on the 5th floor, use the stairs. You have that big driveway there to walk around too. Walking is a great way to start any exercise program. Start small, so you don't get the aches and pains that can derail you. The Combat Challenge can be a good long term goal. I know a FF from western NY that lost 75# while preparing for the Challenge. I spent 30-45 mins. on a treadmill for over 2 months preparing for my 1st Challenge. That was 18 years ago @ 42. This past weekend I competed in the Challenge on the Canadian Tour @ age 60.
    Yes, I always take the stairs when I am there, the elevators are too slow. I know there is a trail around the academy also that I could walk/run daily, but my problem is I only run for two reasons; If a bear is chasing me or if someone says there is only one slice of pizza left. I need to change that too I guess!!
    Thanks for the advice Fitguy. I work in the Capital District so maybe I will see you around.
    Stay Safe

Brian Jones, aka "Moose"

Forum Member

My dad worked for OFPC until 1980 when he retired. He spent alot more time in the field than you guys do today. He covered an area from Albany county to Canada and VT. to Fulton, Hamilton and Franklin counties. I am with the Latham FD and know Rich B. and Bill C.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

A year from now, you'll be glad you started today.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Stop eating everything you see. Eat right. Lay off the whoppers and big macs.
    This is some of the best advice that anyone has given. Remember that your body needs the right fuel to get into the shape you want it to be - so watch what you fill up with!

Forum Member

I think a lot of people really do underestimate the impact of eating right when it comes to fitness. You need cardio to keep your heart strong, and weight lifting for toning and bulking up, but none of this is achievable unless you are putting the right fuel into your body. Make sure you are eating a lot of heart healthy foods like lots of lean proteins like fish, poultry, nuts, and legumes, and of course make sure you are eating lots of vegetables. Your meals should contain at least 50% vegetables.

When you start working out again, make sure you start out at pace that is confortable and that you can keep. If you jump in too fast you are going to end up burning yourself out, maybe even causing your body harm. Good luck!
    Last edited by neanderdave; 08-19-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Forum Member

Read Primal Blueprint!

Firemoose,

Another idea if you get bored working out is to find a building or multi-floor hotel and get permission if you can climb the stairs. To add to the fun, add a weighted vest to simulate gear. Like everyone else said, make sure you get PLENTY of WATER! Best of luck Moose!

MembersZone Subscriber

When I need motivation on days I don't feel like working out I click on my pictures folder of this senior citizen badazz.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information