Forum Member

Default Pumper/Tanker vs. Tanker Funding Question

My dept. is considering applying for tanker with a 750GPM or above and according to the guidance, it would be considered a pumper for application purposes.

Would the maximum funding level apply as a pumper or a tanker or neither?

Looking at onebugle's funding list, the maximum cost allowance (that was reported) for a tanker is $220,000 but for a tanker with a higher GPM (750 or above) was only reported at $200,000??? Not sure if that makes sense. I wanted to verify award amounts for the different categories for a tanker/pumper-tanker before we decide to apply.

Forum Member

Good question, I've wondered the same... we have an old converted milk truck that we use for a tanker, and our community has become more densely populated... we want to replace it with a pumper-tanker, but don't know if we'd be able to justify in AFG-speak or if we'd be better going with a traditional tanker again.

Forum Member

Talking

The answer lies in what your needs assessment shows as your greatest need, AND depends on what your other vehicles in the fleet are.
    If applying for a water hauler with a <750 pump to replace a similar older converted vehicle, You will probable score higher in the matrix and cost benefit ratio than applying for a pumper tanker which will cost at least 100k -200k more.
    If your vehicles in the pumper category are at least 20 years old and that is your greatest need then go for the more expensive vehicle.

AFG has been allowing $190k for a basic water hauler for the last couple years with higher amounts given for large capacity[>2500 gal].

With fewer dollars available this year you will need to bring your A+ game to the table to even get to peer review.
    We are currently in the process of buying a 2,000 gallon tanker with a 500 gpm waterous pump on an International chassis with a 330 hp engine, allison auto, triple dumps,two pre-connects ,an electric drop tank holder,and required NFPA equipment.
    It will cost us $208,000
    Bid prices were from there up to $250k depending on the vendor

Forum Member

I have not read this year's guidance yet (plan to read this weekend) - so I apologize if this is a dumb question - but here goes. A neighboring company asked me if there is a length of time that a department needs to own a vehicle before they could ask for replacement. For whatever reason, 3 years sticks in my head - yet I have not been able to confirm it. If anyone has my answer - I would appreciate it.

PS: Just for the record - this company did not just buy a truck to dump and try to replace through the AFG as I have heard others have tried in the past.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by WVFD View Post
    I have not read this year's guidance yet (plan to read this weekend) - so I apologize if this is a dumb question - but here goes. A neighboring company asked me if there is a length of time that a department needs to own a vehicle before they could ask for replacement. For whatever reason, 3 years sticks in my head - yet I have not been able to confirm it. If anyone has my answer - I would appreciate it.

PS: Just for the record - this company did not just buy a truck to dump and try to replace through the AFG as I have heard others have tried in the past.
    think of it from a peer reviewers eyes:

If you read an application that was looking to replace a fire truck that had been owned for less than 5 years, the question of why they bought a junk truck in the first place comes to mind. did they buy what they could afford at the time to get them a usable truck or did they throw money into something that probably shouldn't have been in service anyway?

Not saying that this is the case here, but it would take a very detailed explanation to get them convinced.

Forum Member

Thanks islandfire03 - I agree with your thoughts - I think their situation was a little unique but I won't get into details at this point. Is there a section in the vehicle application that requests specifically how long you owned the apparatus - I only remember age of fleet for each vehicle.

I think if I can get past the computer - I would have a fightening chance for them. But if they are going to ask specifically how long I owned each apparatus - then I may have trouble with the initial screening.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WVFD View Post
    Thanks islandfire03 - I agree with your thoughts - I think their situation was a little unique but I won't get into details at this point. Is there a section in the vehicle application that requests specifically how long you owned the apparatus - I only remember age of fleet for each vehicle.

I think if I can get past the computer - I would have a fightening chance for them. But if they are going to ask specifically how long I owned each apparatus - then I may have trouble with the initial screening.
    It seems to me that there was a question when listing your fleet that asked how many months had you owned it.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    It seems to me that there was a question when listing your fleet that asked how many months had you owned it.
    Correct, and that number has changed to "Years" this year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Correct, and that number has changed to "Years" this year.
    OMG Sly has emerged from exile. Welcome back buddy! I was beginning to think that you had been kidnapped by some beach senorita's in Mexico.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Back just in time to enjoy the 26 day hell we are about to endure

Forum Member

Thanks to everyone for your input. I did find the question finally - under vehicle details - however, from what I saw from a past application - it did not appear to be a "mandatory" question as it did not have an asterisks (which I think meant you had to answer).

Not sure if not answering would be bad – from a scoring standpoint – but at least I know where I stand.

Thanks again - I figured I better get my question in now because come tomorrow you guys will be pretty busy.

Thread Information