MembersZone Subscriber

This is an extrication jacket from Lakeland.

Ansi Class 3 Extrication coat using flame resistant (hi-vis yellow) Tecasafe Plus fabric.

Name:  IMG00377-20120518-1602 (2).jpg
Views: 474
Size:  27.1 KB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterMV View Post
    I am looking to find out what others' opinions and departments guidelines are on roadway incidents and proper PPE. Currently, our department does not have a guideline on this particular topic and does not have the best practice on wearing full PPE on roadway incidents. I am trying to change and make it standard practice that any and all incidents involving working on a roadway require full turnout gear (pants, coat, helmet) and traffic safety vest. We have a constant habit of having responders show up in bunker pants only and a vest, or even less.

My standpoint is to lead by example and so EVERY roadway incident (MVA, car vs. pedestrian, bicyclist down without car) I wear full turnout gear and vest. I think that it is hard to argue with safety when I expect the same out of incoming crews and members of the company in which I am assigned. But it is hard to set this example with other officers not being on the same page and newer members seeing there is no continuity and agreeance among officers.
    You ever consider that you are the one that is wrong? You wear turnout gear when you need to for thermal protection or warmth depending on climate, not just because you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by bcjack View Post
    We spend a lot of $$ buying the best stuff possible for you, and we expect you to wear the stuff and be protected.
    Same answer as above.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 09-25-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    You ever consider that you are the one that is wrong? You wear turnout gear when you need to for thermal protection or warmth depending on climate, not just because you have it.

Same answer as above.
    What would you suggest as appropriate apparel to protect your firefighters and comply with Federal law????
    everyonegoeshome.com

Forum Member

Let's see. . . .
    My standpoint is to lead by example and so EVERY roadway incident (MVA, car vs. pedestrian, bicyclist down without car) I wear full turnout gear and vest.
    If it is an incident without car, what are your protecting yourself from? The DOT uses jeans, steel toe shoes, hard hat, vest, and leggings. Why do we need more if we are only directling traffic / loading a patient?
    Aren't you creating more of a hazard on a humid 90 degree day by standing on the asphalt wearing full turnouts when the aforementioned is all that is required?

We spend a lot of $$ buying the best stuff possible for you, and we expect you to wear the stuff and be protected.
    So am I supposed to be in SCBA as well? The exaust from those passing cars could give me CO poisoning. And we spent a lot of money on those shiny trucks, should we then run every one to every call? Or, should we run them when necessary and not induce unnecessary wear and tear when they are not needed?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bcjack View Post
    What would you suggest as appropriate apparel to protect your firefighters and comply with Federal law????
    I apologize for the extremely long delay in resonding -just saw this.

My response that you quoted was to an individual that stated he wears full structural PPE and a vest to ALL roadway incidents.

My point is that full structural turnout gear is not needed at ALL roadway responses. There are times when it is perfectly acceptable and legal to not wear turnouts and only a vest.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information