Forum Member

Default How long to get FF I?

I'm finishing Paramedic school and just now getting on to a FD part time. My question is how long does it take to get level 1 commission? I know the classes involved and that it depends on when they're being offered, but in your experiences, what's the average time?

Forum Member

You really need to look up the rules in your state. Here in TN, there are a relatively small number of training hours (A little over 100) but you can't take the test until you've been an active member of a Fire Department for 1 year. Your state may have a higher or lower requirement.

EDIT* Just looked at your profile and I see that you're in Knoxville so I guess that is actually a pretty good answer for you.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Sounds like the first reply got you a pretty relevant answer. Here in VA, it's 176 hours (Firefighter I, CPR, MayDay Awareness, and HazMat Ops). Most of the FF1 classes I teach run about three-and-a-half months.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Thanks EGregory, that was very relavent. I guess there's no rushing this.

Forum Member

here they run FFI and FFII together, and it runs for about 5 - 6 months two days a week 4 hours a day, cant wait till October whe i start

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by probie1546 View Post
    here they run FFI and FFII together, and it runs for about 5 - 6 months two days a week 4 hours a day, cant wait till October whe i start
    That's pretty nice. Where are you from? I'm not sure I'd want to invest full time in fire training. I'm content to take it slowly. Medic school has me whipped.

Forum Member

Baltimore County in Maryland has the regular two night a week, 6 month program, but also offers a 7am-5pm, Mon-Fri four week summer "crash course" that covers FF1, CPR and HazMat Core Competencies
    :-J Remmy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dazzo88 View Post
    That's pretty nice. Where are you from? I'm not sure I'd want to invest full time in fire training. I'm content to take it slowly. Medic school has me whipped.
    Crocker, is out here by Ft.leonard wood, Mo. our county has a few city dept, that work with the rural dept to share the SAFERS grant, so when they hold FFI and FFII classes we have most of the area depts go to Waynesville city to learn, its all about Money & Instructors, + it is one of the best depts. in the area next to DOD firefighters right down the road of which we have 3 or 4 on our Volly dpt.

Forum Member

I just started taking FF1, and as soon as I complete that, I can sign right up for FF2, that starts right after.
    Im taking sta and sun classes, which allows me to finish FF1 in 5 wks, and Im assuming FF2 will be the same.
    4-1500 LIGHTNING STRIKES BEFORE THUNDER

Thread Information