Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default 1403 in North Carolina

Dont know if this has been visited before. But the department i work for allows volunteers to operate as firefighters after taking the few classes required to participate in live burn training. This is the 10 courses to meet NFPA 1403. They are not certified in any way as a FFI. The way I read 1403 is that its a level of training to participate in live fire TRAINING. NOT operate on calls as an interior firefighter. I see this as a REAL liability for me as the Career Shift Captain who will be supervising these guys. If they get hurt or worse i dont want to be the one on the witness stand explaining why. Can anyone help me out with this?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCapt View Post
    Dont know if this has been visited before. But the department i work for allows volunteers to operate as firefighters after taking the few classes required to participate in live burn training. This is the 10 courses to meet NFPA 1403. They are not certified in any way as a FFI. The way I read 1403 is that its a level of training to participate in live fire TRAINING. NOT operate on calls as an interior firefighter. I see this as a REAL liability for me as the Career Shift Captain who will be supervising these guys. If they get hurt or worse i dont want to be the one on the witness stand explaining why. Can anyone help me out with this?
    I'm in full agreement with you, and I understand where you are coming from. But . . . . since NC does not have a minimum standard it is left up to the Chief as to who he will or will not allow to operate on his dept's. fire ground. God forbid someone was to get hurt, the Chief's head will be on the block for allowing under trained personal to operate on the fire ground not you as a Capt.

If nothing else, just make Ricky Red Light stand outside and fetch tools or what ever you think he can do safely and when he pitches a fit, run him off.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Thread Information