Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What do I need Ohio resident

I live in Ohio and was wondering what the best route is to become a firefighter? Is getting a 2 year fire science degree the best thing to do to get a job? Or is just going right into EMT a better option? Any tips would be helpful

Thanks

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

It depends. My BiL is a ff/EMT with 2 different township departments. He earned his certs on his own at a community college (no fire science degree either). He's working on his Paramedic cert now. All on his own dime and time. The are, however, cities in the state that hire their staff through a civil service exam process. Even if you have your EMTb and FFII, you will still likely have to go through school again with those cities. Some do hire people with no fire experience, though. My husband recently got on with Columbus as one of those, and he went through their academy for 7 months (all paid, 40 hours of school a week), and earned everything he needed to begin working. But it's a continuing process, education never ceases.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

first off think about your future in the things you are doing....

keep your record clean and ensure less than 6 points on your driving record. those two things pretty much will disqualify you.

as far as certs, it depend where you want to get hired. very few departments (other than the larger cities) will send you to their academy for fire and ems. bet on the certs to be paid from your pocket. get your state 240 and emt-basic and then paramedic. take as many cival service tests as you can. also get talking to the ff's in your area at the local firehouse. they can help too.

PM me and i will be able to answer more.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Thanks I would like to be in a smaller community in the cleveland akron area, I have a clean record with no points on driving record. I have just signed up at a local Comm college to start a Fire Science degree but an only go part time because of work, Im just not sure if there is a better way just to get certified with all of the training without doing the full 2 year degree. Any cleveland Akron guys feel free to chime in!

thanks

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

i am in your area... private message me. (left click on my screen name to the left)
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

^^ pm sent let me know if you got it thanks

Forum Member

Default What do i need Ohio resident??

I live in Ohio and was wondering what the best route is to become a firefighter? Is getting a 2 year fire science degree the best thing to do to get a job? Or is just going right into EMT or a Fire Academy a better option? Any tips would be helpful. I don't have any previous college experience or any training im starting from the bottom!

Thanks

Thread Information