Forum Member

Exclamation Quint application through AFG

Is there anyone from a Volunteer Department (rural) that has applied for a Quint or a Telesquirt through AFG and gotten a grant?

Any information that you could give me would be very helpful. I have written a Pumper grant in the past that was approved but I do not know what else I should include asking for a Quint.

Also, what would be the maximum dollar amout that they (FEMA) would use to fund a Quint?

Thanks
    Last edited by fireeater324; 08-12-2011 at 05:58 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

The answer to your question is yes, they have been funded. Answer to second question is they will fund up to the maximum allowed under the program which judging by your post would be $1,000,000.

In 2010 AFG there were 411 trucks awarded and of those only 26 were above the $500K mark which is usually where a quint is going to start at. There have been no awards for a truck above $801K.

The problem then becomes can you justify that truck enough to get it past a computer on the cost benefit and frequency of use side and into the hands of a human being who will actually read what you write?
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you looking for 75 foot or over 75? Kurt are your figures for 75 or over 75?
    BB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BB3939 View Post
    Are you looking for 75 foot or over 75? Kurt are your figures for 75 or over 75?
    I have no idea if they are for 75' or over. I simply sorted the award list and referenced ALL trucks over $500K.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Quint ?

While we are on the subject, when FEMA talks about buildings that are 4 stories or taller and occupied, i need some clarification. We have a commerical complex with at least 12 buildings over 4 stories tall and most of them occupied here and there throughout the day so does that qualify?
    After ISO evaluation they say we need a ladder truck, i know good justification, but we are a rural dept according to fema, well we more like a 100' truck, anyone get a 2nd priority vehicle, or is it just a total waste ot time?
    We dont have a truck now, nearest mutual aid is 20 minutes away. A 75' would be better than nothing and would take one. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firebill911 View Post
    While we are on the subject, when FEMA talks about buildings that are 4 stories or taller and occupied, i need some clarification. We have a commerical complex with at least 12 buildings over 4 stories tall and most of them occupied here and there throughout the day so does that qualify?
    After ISO evaluation they say we need a ladder truck, i know good justification, but we are a rural dept according to fema, well we more like a 100' truck, anyone get a 2nd priority vehicle, or is it just a total waste ot time?
    We dont have a truck now, nearest mutual aid is 20 minutes away. A 75' would be better than nothing and would take one. Thanks
    OK this year they are using "3 sotories or taller" of occupied floorsmenaing people routinely work or "occupy" them throught the day. It does not count attics, or chruch steeples or grain elevators. It also has to be 3 stories "above ground", you can't count the basement as a story.

Actually your ISO suggestion really does not mean much to AFG and it absolutely does not help to get you past computer score. They have not funded any vehicle except a Priority # 1 vehicle since about 2002; in fact I don;t knwo why they even bother to put them in there in the matrix.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

If rural FD is granted $ for a 75' aerial my understanding of the program is that they can come up with additional $ and "upgrade" to a more capable vehicle.

Such as a 100' aerial. Only a $250000 more. A couple pancake breakfasts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Upgrade?

OK can you really upgrade to a 100' truck if you were awarded a 75'? I could see AFG saying we awarded you a 75' thats what you have to get. But if we could add to that and up it to a 100' where it would actually have a good use to us that would look better other than trying to get additional funds. Kurt what do you think? Or has anybody else heard of this think happeneing before? THanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firebill911 View Post
    OK can you really upgrade to a 100' truck if you were awarded a 75'? I could see AFG saying we awarded you a 75' thats what you have to get. But if we could add to that and up it to a 100' where it would actually have a good use to us that would look better other than trying to get additional funds. Kurt what do you think? Or has anybody else heard of this think happeneing before? THanks
    Nope you would be doing an end run around the program. Besides where are you going to come up with etxra dough? You said you were poor to begin with. If you had that to start you would not have been a candidate for the grant; your financial needs statment willhave been incorrect or misrepresented. That might raise a few flags in the "fraud " division. IMHO this is not wise.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Theres a very nice quint in nj thats doesnt fight fire but is a pretty parade piece. Does FEMA have a trophy case in their offices?

Thread Information