Forum Member

Default KBR taking over all Firefighting in Iraq

OK the rumor is that KBR, who recently won the task order for LOGCAP IV, will be providing all fire protection services for the State Department mission in Iraq. This would mean that Sallyport would be out. There are around 400 firefighters in Iraq right now but only around 130 will be needed under the DOS contract. That means that allot of people will be going home before December. Has anyone heard anything to the contrary?

Forum Member

Your statement is not completely true...KBR did win the bid but the fire protection is being contracted out. Furthermore, Sallyport is the only subcontracter that placed a bid to provide protection under the three companies that were bidding for the DoS contract. Sallyport is not going anywhere. Your numbr for FF needed is way off aswell.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LowRow98 View Post
    Your statement is not completely true...KBR did win the bid but the fire protection is being contracted out. Furthermore, Sallyport is the only subcontracter that placed a bid to provide protection under the three companies that were bidding for the DoS contract. Sallyport is not going anywhere. Your numbr for FF needed is way off aswell.
    Well I guess we disagree, but everything will become clear later this week. How do you figure my numbers are way off? Do you know how many bases are closing? They are closing, or turning over to Iraq, most of the bases in country. The State Department mission has a MUCH smaller footprint than that under DOD LOGCAP III. KBR is well equipped to provide fire protection to all of these remaining sites, just look at the Green Zone for example. There is no need to sub contract services you can provide yourself, that is unless the scope of the mission makes it more profitable in some sense. That is not the case right now. With the reduced amount of revenue that will be coming in under LOGCAP IV it does not make sense to leave millions on the table for someone else. I think Sallyport has done a fine job and it will be a shame to see them go, but I do not see, or hear of anything different.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know anything about numbers, but as much as it pains me to agree with him, AC is correct about KBR self-providing according to one of my boys still in country. He heard it directly from a HIGH up KBR source, not the rumor mill. KBR will self provide rather than contract out. As with the WSI/Sallyport transition it will largely be a lanyard change.

Again, I know nothing of numbers, but yes some more bases will close if DOS isn't keeping them.

Forum Member

AC my question I pose to you is as followed:

Lets assume KBR is taking over the Firefighting mission, and its already more firefighters here in place than needed. Why on earth are they continuing to hire firefighters (I know a few people that have just been hired by KBR) and also lowering their requirements to come aboard. All anyone has to do is go to KBR's website and see for yourself. I understand that all of this is just hypothetically speaking but to say people will be sent home is a bit much to me. I can guarantee it'll be more than enough people willing to say "I made my money and I'm done". I'm new to this but that's just my opinion, since we're only giving opinions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 251Fireman View Post
    AC my question I pose to you is as followed:

Lets assume KBR is taking over the Firefighting mission, and its already more firefighters here in place than needed. Why on earth are they continuing to hire firefighters (I know a few people that have just been hired by KBR) and also lowering their requirements to come aboard. All anyone has to do is go to KBR's website and see for yourself. I understand that all of this is just hypothetically speaking but to say people will be sent home is a bit much to me. I can guarantee it'll be more than enough people willing to say "I made my money and I'm done". I'm new to this but that's just my opinion, since we're only giving opinions.
    KBR is also expanding in the Green Zone and they have been hiring off and on for that over the past several months. You are correct in the assumption that they will attempt to reach the numbers they need by attrition, however that may not be possible in this case. I have seen this happen before over here on several different occasions. These companies bill the contract for mobilization costs per firefighter. They do not really care if they have too many people in country, they are only concerned with not having enough. If they are understaffed they loose revenue and risk becoming non compliant. With that in mind why not bring in some new blood to cover the potential mass exodus when they finally announce everything. At this point it appears the KBR LOGCAP IV contracts for firefighters will not be nearly as lucrative as they have been with WSI and Sallyport under LOGCAP III. It appears that much of the uplift will vanish and be replaced with overtime. They will spin it to make it look like you would be making as much money but in the end you will make far less.

Do not try to look at this system from any logical perspective as you will only end up frustrated. this is a money making machine and all of the contractors are no more than numbers, cogs in the wheel. I just feel really bad for the guys who are just coming in now, boy did they feed them a line of horse****!

Forum Member

So, you were right AC...Us Sallyport employees had been told that we would be here a bit longer. However everything is not written in stone yet. Sallyport has not thrown in the towel yet. Word here is that KBR will be keeping about 220 of us. Im guessing thats about half. I agree with you about there being a mass exodus because the pay is going down and the security issues are going up. Its about to get real interesting around here.

Forum Member

So, you were right AC...Us Sallyport employees had been told that we would be here a bit longer. However everything is not written in stone yet. Sallyport has not thrown in the towel yet. Word here is that KBR will be keeping about 220 of us. Im guessing thats about half. I agree with you about there being a mass exodus because the pay is going down and the security issues are going up. Its about to get real interesting around here.
    It sure is going to be interesting. I believe you are about to see the best, and the worst come out in some people. True colors become apparent in stressful times like these. Make sure you get your application in on the KBR website ASAP if you are interested in continuing with them. My guess is they will begin the transition right around 17 September. The appeal by Fluor is standard operating procedure but will go nowhere. This was all predetermined some time ago. In order for KBR to make a successful transition they need to begin the process in short order. Good Luck in what ever you choose to do.

Forum Member

does anyone have an idea what KBR will be paying?

Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by SandBox4410 View Post
    does anyone have an idea what KBR will be paying?
    Judging by the calculator I have seen, (and I am not speaking of the incorrect version that was floating around in emails) it should be about 35 to 40% less than the current KBR wages. I am not really sure how they are going to even come close to a decent wage when the uplifts are removed. they claim some of this will be made up in overtime but I cannot fathom a scenario where that will happen. More than likely you will have overloaded bases for some time, with people lucky to get regular hours let alone OT. My guess is that Firefighters will be making somewhere around the 60 to 75K range, if they are lucky. But look on the bright side, it will all be tax free! they will be able to sign a few Sallyport guys, especially the newbies, and others with no other option. Those guys will rationalize the move by telling themselves they will only do this till something better comes along. The rest of the positions will be filled with young vollies fresh off the farm that can only make 28K back home in Podunk, if they were lucky enough to get a job in the first place. All those guys who take the job untill something better comes along will still be here at the end of the year, as they have nowhere else to go. This may be a somewhat bleak assessment of the situation but that is how I see it going down.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ACofthedesert View Post
    Judging by the calculator I have seen, (and I am not speaking of the incorrect version that was floating around in emails) it should be about 35 to 40% less than the current KBR wages. I am not really sure how they are going to even come close to a decent wage when the uplifts are removed. they claim some of this will be made up in overtime but I cannot fathom a scenario where that will happen. More than likely you will have overloaded bases for some time, with people lucky to get regular hours let alone OT. My guess is that Firefighters will be making somewhere around the 60 to 75K range, if they are lucky. But look on the bright side, it will all be tax free! they will be able to sign a few Sallyport guys, especially the newbies, and others with no other option. Those guys will rationalize the move by telling themselves they will only do this till something better comes along. The rest of the positions will be filled with young vollies fresh off the farm that can only make 28K back home in Podunk, if they were lucky enough to get a job in the first place. All those guys who take the job untill something better comes along will still be here at the end of the year, as they have nowhere else to go. This may be a somewhat bleak assessment of the situation but that is how I see it going down.
    Very True.. but is 70k worth the risk with the Sadr talking attacking US bases with NO military protection? 10k troop may be staying behind.. I rather go to afg and make 75k with atco but at least i'll be on a base where the Marines can still kill at will.. DOS will have private security at the gates.. HMMMMM.. just food for thought

Forum Member

Default overseas firefighter jobs

I've been trying to get an overseas job for 6 months now and still have yet to get a call/email. I've got my IFSAC FF I/II, IFSAC Hazmat ops/awareness, ARFF, LPN/ACLS/EMT, just got done with my D/O pumper and aerial class, waiting on that cert to arrive, have NIMS ICS 100/200 levels, already have my passport book, am ex-military that held a secret/entac clearance, was a police officer for 4.5 years, have been a firefighter for the last 9 years....but still haven't been able to get an overseas job.... Granted I just want the money to pay off my student loans and maybe make some extra to finish out my masters...but I would've thought I'd have gotten tapped by now. I've applied to KBR, Dyncorp, Sallyport, ITT, and Raytheon. The only one to call me was Raytheon, but that was for Antarctica and only offering 800/month.... I make that now lol. Personally, I don't care whether I go to Iraq, Afghanistan, or where ever. As long as the money is good enough, I'll go.
    Last edited by mikel.tyler; 08-21-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: adding info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFDownSouth View Post
    Very True.. but is 70k worth the risk with the Sadr talking attacking US bases with NO military protection? 10k troop may be staying behind.. I rather go to afg and make 75k with atco but at least i'll be on a base where the Marines can still kill at will.. DOS will have private security at the gates.. HMMMMM.. just food for thought
    I hear you, and that is 70K if you are lucky and get all the hours and overtime you can get. I believe the number will be more like 60K at the end of the day, at least initially. I have been through several transitions such as this and the rank and file (Firefighters) always come out on the short end.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikel.tyler View Post
    I've been trying to get an overseas job for 6 months now and still have yet to get a call/email. I've got my IFSAC FF I/II, IFSAC Hazmat ops/awareness, ARFF, LPN/ACLS/EMT, just got done with my D/O pumper and aerial class, waiting on that cert to arrive, have NIMS ICS 100/200 levels, already have my passport book, am ex-military that held a secret/entac clearance, was a police officer for 4.5 years, have been a firefighter for the last 9 years....but still haven't been able to get an overseas job.... Granted I just want the money to pay off my student loans and maybe make some extra to finish out my masters...but I would've thought I'd have gotten tapped by now. I've applied to KBR, Dyncorp, Sallyport, ITT, and Raytheon. The only one to call me was Raytheon, but that was for Antarctica and only offering 800/month.... I make that now lol. Personally, I don't care whether I go to Iraq, Afghanistan, or where ever. As long as the money is good enough, I'll go.
    Mike you just need to be persistent. Try sending your resume directly to the recruiters. They also all have phones where you can leave a voice mail. You have a diverse background but should also look at getting your inspector I & II and telecommunicator I & II classes. There are always positions open for Inspectors and dispatchers and that would be a good way to get your foot in the door. that being said realize that the contract world in Iraq and in Afghanistan is shrinking and the dollars are as well. The downsizing in Iraq is sort of a model of what will be happening in Afghanistan in a very short time. We may be there for some time but there will be cutbacks and they will be substantial. What I am saying is that without those other certifications you are somewhat handicapped. There are many folks with them who are currently, or will be in the near future looking for a contract in Afghanistan. You should apply for the LOGCP Firefighter positions on the KBR website. They will be hiring in the next month or so for the DoS LOGCAP IV Task order and you may have some luck there. Best of luck Brother, let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=ACofthedesert;1290447] that being said realize that the contract world in Iraq and in Afghanistan is shrinking and the dollars are as well. The downsizing in Iraq is sort of a model of what will be happening in Afghanistan in a very short time. We may be there for some time but there will be cutbacks and they will be substantial./QUOTE]

AC,

I'm sure you're in a position to hear things the rest of us don't, but I might suggest that the future situation in Afghanistan may be quite a bit different from Iraq. The cutbacks will happen to be sure, but if you search for articles on the subject, it's pretty clear that we will have combat troops and counter-terrorist operations going on well beyond 2014. Take this article for example:http://www.salon.com/news/politics/w...istan_war_2017

Point being, is that with an "enduring partnership" going "beyong 2014" as I've read many times already, would it not make sense that the pay scale would remain relatively the same for new contracts beyond 2014?

Forum Member

[QUOTE=kennon7;1290473]
    Quote Originally Posted by ACofthedesert View Post
    that being said realize that the contract world in Iraq and in Afghanistan is shrinking and the dollars are as well. The downsizing in Iraq is sort of a model of what will be happening in Afghanistan in a very short time. We may be there for some time but there will be cutbacks and they will be substantial./QUOTE]

AC,

I'm sure you're in a position to hear things the rest of us don't, but I might suggest that the future situation in Afghanistan may be quite a bit different from Iraq. The cutbacks will happen to be sure, but if you search for articles on the subject, it's pretty clear that we will have combat troops and counter-terrorist operations going on well beyond 2014. Take this article for example:http://www.salon.com/news/politics/w...istan_war_2017

Point being, is that with an "enduring partnership" going "beyong 2014" as I've read many times already, would it not make sense that the pay scale would remain relatively the same for new contracts beyond 2014?
    I agree Kennon. However the question will be how many bases and how much fire protection will they need. Many of the smaller FOBs do not have fire protection as we provide it now. Many are handled within the military with fire brigades. I am assuming most of this based on what I have seen here in Iraq and have heard from some folks I know who are high up the food chain. My point is that someone should not leave a solid job in the states for this gig as it not going to last, at least in the form it is now. The Government is looking to cut back in a big way over here and guess who is first on the chopping block...contractors.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=ACofthedesert;1290447]Mike you just need to be persistent. Try sending your resume directly to the recruiters. They also all have phones where you can leave a voice mail. You have a diverse background but should also look at getting your inspector I & II and telecommunicator I & II classes. There are always positions open for Inspectors and dispatchers and that would be a good way to get your foot in the door. that being said realize that the contract world in Iraq and in Afghanistan is shrinking and the dollars are as well. You should apply for the LOGCP Firefighter positions on the KBR website. They will be hiring in the next month or so for the DoS LOGCAP IV Task order and you may have some luck there. [QUOTE]

Forum Member

Default overseas.....KBR

My friend is in Houston right now doing her pre-deployment briefings/training for KBR and getting ready to leave to go to iraq as a medic. She was telling me that when they all pull out in december, that they were gonna go LOGCAP IV to afghanistan to finish up their tour. I've already applied at KBR's website, Sent Ann from KBR a direct email, and left her a voicemail on her extension....not sure what else I can do as far as that. My friend was supposed to find out from them while she is there if they have any spots open, when they will be looking to hire again, etc and drop my name to them down there. I just got off the phone with her and told her that at this point, I don't care what job or location, I just want to go. As far as the telecommunication or investigator classes, I already work full time and go to college full time, so don't have any other time for that unless I can take it online, the only places i've seen either of those classes are at a college so they drag the class out over 6 months. I looked at the possibility of taking a medic spot, but since I don't hold paramedic numbers, can't do that.....all though I have seen that if you have your nursing license, ACLS, and PHTLS, you might be able to still go work as a medic for them. I am licensed in KY and IN as a nurse, have my ACLS, and will be taking the 2 day PHTLS on Oct. 3rd and 4th....but if I'm not mistaken, they want a RN in addition to the other stuff and not a LPN. What they don't realize, is that a LPN with ACLS can do everything that a RN can do....I've been working ER and ICU for the last 4 years and do every bit that any of my RN counterparts do on a daily basis. I know that each state is different, but when considering that I won't be working as a nurse overseas anyway, but rather in the capacity of a "medic" it shouldn't matter what US license I hold, but rather that I'm certified to perofrm the duties that would be expected of any "medic" overses which I am.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I applied with KBR. I have all certs they require. Wish me luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lasko189 View Post
    Well I applied with KBR. I have all certs they require. Wish me luck.
    GOOD LUCK!

However the newest rumor coming down through Sallyport is that LOGCAP IV has been "canceled completely". This was relayed via email to Sallyport SSLs from the PM himself. It also stated that he was unsure as to how this would impact the current situation. I am just relaying this information to everyone so you can make up your own mind.

In my opinion it sounds like someone is misinterpreting things here. In the first place LOGCAP IV is in operation in several different countries including Afghanistan, so it is safe to say that it will not be canceled completely. They could be referring to the Task Order for BLS in Iraq that was just awarded to KBR, but that is unlikely as well. I am betting that they are referring to the 30 day hold placed on the award due to Fluor challenging the award, as the loosing bidders almost always do. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who might shed some light on this issue. THANKS!

MembersZone Subscriber

first time on these forums in years, and right off the bat I see Tik, you still eating sand or just lurking on the boards?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just lurking, but still have a couple of my boys playing in the sand, so I get some info from boots on the ground.

Forum Member

Default kbr

[QUOTE=mikel.tyler;1290615][QUOTE=ACofthedesert;1290447]Mike you just need to be persistent. Try sending your resume directly to the recruiters. They also all have phones where you can leave a voice mail. You have a diverse background but should also look at getting your inspector I & II and telecommunicator I & II classes. There are always positions open for Inspectors and dispatchers and that would be a good way to get your foot in the door. that being said realize that the contract world in Iraq and in Afghanistan is shrinking and the dollars are as well. You should apply for the LOGCP Firefighter positions on the KBR website. They will be hiring in the next month or so for the DoS LOGCAP IV Task order and you may have some luck there.
    hey mike send me kbr reps name in a pm to me please

Forum Member

Default recruiters

When I was able to find the recruiters phone/email I did call and leave a message and sent them an email. I just can't figure out why I haven't been tapped for either a fire job, medical job, or even a security job since I have experience in all 3. I'm currently licensed/certified in the fire and medical fields, have my passport book, held a secret clearance before, was certified as a small arms expert in the military, was qual'd on the M-9, M-16, M-249, M-203, and know I wouldn't have any problem getting qual'd again or even getting my secret clearance back, and have the full support of my employer and could leave as little as a week's notice...hell, I'd even be willing to do the job for 75k and I don't care where I get deployed to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mikel.tyler View Post
    When I was able to find the recruiters phone/email I did call and leave a message and sent them an email. I just can't figure out why I haven't been tapped for either a fire job, medical job, or even a security job since I have experience in all 3. I'm currently licensed/certified in the fire and medical fields, have my passport book, held a secret clearance before, was certified as a small arms expert in the military, was qual'd on the M-9, M-16, M-249, M-203, and know I wouldn't have any problem getting qual'd again or even getting my secret clearance back, and have the full support of my employer and could leave as little as a week's notice...hell, I'd even be willing to do the job for 75k and I don't care where I get deployed to.
    At the risk of being ... harsh.

Perhaps they are not so worried about all that, and something elsewhere in your resume is scaring them off?

Your secret entac clearance is simply a computer check unless something pops up. They are going to do it regardless of you having one previously. Firearms? They are going to redo all those again too.

Thread Information