1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    54

    Default Brush Truck Question

    I am in the process of working on a grant for a brush truck. The Chief has left it up to me to figure out what we want. I can go with a brushtruck from someone like Sunbelt Fire or Crow Construction for around $90,000 or I could go with a Ford Chassis F550 Crew 4x4 utility body for extrication then place a skid in the back for less money. What would be the best choice in your opinon? I know we want a Ford Chassis probably 550, diesel, 4x4, 300-350 gallon tank with hose reel. If I go the utility body way with skid do I select brushtruck or patrol unit with skid?

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    6,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEEATERFF View Post
    I am in the process of working on a grant for a brush truck. The Chief has left it up to me to figure out what we want. I can go with a brushtruck from someone like Sunbelt Fire or Crow Construction for around $90,000 or I could go with a Ford Chassis F550 Crew 4x4 utility body for extrication then place a skid in the back for less money. What would be the best choice in your opinon? I know we want a Ford Chassis probably 550, diesel, 4x4, 300-350 gallon tank with hose reel. If I go the utility body way with skid do I select brushtruck or patrol unit with skid?
    Your choice should be by the $125,000 limit they generally have for this type vehicle. This year, lower is better, as money is tight for everyone including the grant. SInce naything related to rescue for a rural depatrtment is priority #2, stay away from talking about that but having additonal capabaility for "support" vehicle is an additional cost benefit factor.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEEATERFF View Post
    I am in the process of working on a grant for a brush truck. The Chief has left it up to me to figure out what we want. I can go with a brushtruck from someone like Sunbelt Fire or Crow Construction for around $90,000 or I could go with a Ford Chassis F550 Crew 4x4 utility body for extrication then place a skid in the back for less money. What would be the best choice in your opinon? I know we want a Ford Chassis probably 550, diesel, 4x4, 300-350 gallon tank with hose reel. If I go the utility body way with skid do I select brushtruck or patrol unit with skid?
    You should use brushtruck as a patrol unit would be a P/U with a skid mount.

    We were awarded a brush truck in 2005. We purchased a Ford F550 with rescue style cabinets. To make the vehicle more vesatile I showed that it would tow our trailers, carry ice rescue equipment in the winter, run EMS calls during winter storms, carry the HRT when the front line engine was down for repairs etc.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    54

    Question Need more help guys!!!!

    Still have some questions, also need a successful narrative

    1. If we go the chassis with service body (i.e. reading brand aluminum body) with skid is that still considered a brush truck? It's main role would be as a brush truck but it would also carry our extrication equipment to cut down on 2 engines responding. The skid would have 1-2 sections of 1 1/2" 300 gallon tank.

    2. If we go that way do we select brush truck under vehicle module and include the skid? I'm asking because under the equipment section it has skid listed.

    3. If awarded the grant do we have to send out bids on the chassis, body, and skid separately? Plus all of the lights, winch, brush guard, etc.

    4. I know the limit is $120,000 we will be under this limit by a good bit. If we go with $85,000 and it actually comes in at $75-80,000 what about the left over?

    Sorry for all of the questions this is the first year I have done a vehicle grant request. Thanks for all of your help and patience.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    6,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEEATERFF View Post
    Still have some questions, also need a successful narrative

    1. If we go the chassis with service body (i.e. reading brand aluminum body) with skid is that still considered a brush truck? It's main role would be as a brush truck but it would also carry our extrication equipment to cut down on 2 engines responding. The skid would have 1-2 sections of 1 1/2" 300 gallon tank.

    2. If we go that way do we select brush truck under vehicle module and include the skid? I'm asking because under the equipment section it has skid listed.

    3. If awarded the grant do we have to send out bids on the chassis, body, and skid separately? Plus all of the lights, winch, brush guard, etc.

    4. I know the limit is $120,000 we will be under this limit by a good bit. If we go with $85,000 and it actually comes in at $75-80,000 what about the left over?

    Sorry for all of the questions this is the first year I have done a vehicle grant request. Thanks for all of your help and patience.
    1.) Yes

    2.) Yes

    3.)Either way;probabaly cheaper to go individually

    4.) Look in Prrogram Guidnace at end under "excess fund"
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,593

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEEATERFF View Post
    Still have some questions, also need a successful narrative

    1. If we go the chassis with service body (i.e. reading brand aluminum body) with skid is that still considered a brush truck? It's main role would be as a brush truck but it would also carry our extrication equipment to cut down on 2 engines responding. The skid would have 1-2 sections of 1 1/2" 300 gallon tank.

    2. If we go that way do we select brush truck under vehicle module and include the skid? I'm asking because under the equipment section it has skid listed.

    3. If awarded the grant do we have to send out bids on the chassis, body, and skid separately? Plus all of the lights, winch, brush guard, etc.

    4. I know the limit is $120,000 we will be under this limit by a good bit. If we go with $85,000 and it actually comes in at $75-80,000 what about the left over?

    Sorry for all of the questions this is the first year I have done a vehicle grant request. Thanks for all of your help and patience.
    Here is a link to Fouts Bros website: http://www.foutsfire.com/demos/
    They have a F-550 truck listed as a demo that sounds just like what you want for under 100k.

    Sometimes you can get a better pricing by assembling it yourself , BUT not always the case. You need to make sure it meets all requirements of NFPA 2006 .
    We bought a 2008 Brush truck with a 300 gallon tank 250 gpm pump ,43 hp kubota diesel powered, CAFS unit, and plenty of compartment space from CET out of Canada for 123k.

    Several of the bidders on that truck used the CET skid unit, including one from florida and one from wisconsin.

    I did mean 1906 NFPA standards. Toooo many things on the brain today
    Last edited by islandfire03; 08-16-2011 at 05:54 PM.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Where can you find the 1906 Standards? I don't want to have to buy. Are they published anywhere for free?

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEEATERFF View Post
    Where can you find the 1906 Standards? I don't want to have to buy. Are they published anywhere for free?
    Go to http://www.nfpa.org/index.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1 and you can view the standards for free. Click on Sign In. Go to create account and provide an email address and password and you are all set to view the standards.

    Send me an email through my profile and I'll send you a copy of our narrative. We purchased our vehicle complete from the manufacturer.

    Classic Fire was purchased by Crimson Fire.....http://www.crimson-fire.com/home.aspx

    Go to their wildland interface vehicles and the picture of the vehicle labeled R1 is similar to what we purchased.
    Last edited by onebugle; 08-16-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 11-12-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 07:22 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 07-19-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 08:38 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 04-10-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 11:03 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 04-06-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 07:43 AM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 02-28-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register