MembersZone Subscriber

Default Grant for firefighter radios

I'm putting in a grant for 5 new turnouts and 5 new radios. Both of these are for new firefighters that presently donít have any of this equipment and we can't afford to buy all new with our own money. My big question is do we have to buy P25 radios (at $3,500 apiece) for the firefighters? No one in our county or surrounding counties has any P25 radios and doesn't plan on getting them. The exception to this is our state has a AWIN system for command and control only for use by only Fire Chiefs and above like emergency management. We are presently VHF high band narrowband compliant and wish to continue buying radios the same as we have now. Will AFG fund 5 radios for firefighters that are not P25 compliant but are interoperable with the county wide radio system in place now????

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    I'm putting in a grant for 5 new turnouts and 5 new radios. Both of these are for new firefighters that presently don’t have any of this equipment and we can't afford to buy all new with our own money. My big question is do we have to buy P25 radios (at $3,500 apiece) for the firefighters? No one in our county or surrounding counties has any P25 radios and doesn't plan on getting them. The exception to this is our state has a AWIN system for command and control only for use by only Fire Chiefs and above like emergency management. We are presently VHF high band narrowband compliant and wish to continue buying radios the same as we have now. Will AFG fund 5 radios for firefighters that are not P25 compliant but are interoperable with the county wide radio system in place now????
    There is no requirement from the feds for you to buy P-25 radios. What they require is for you to be following your states communications plan. Someone from the state will have to sign off on any award prior to it being granted by AFG , so the place to start is with whoever is in your state designated to make those decisions.
    Some states require you to buy into their statewide digital system and others don't when receiving federal grant funding.
    LVFD would probably know who is the contact person in Arkansas.

MembersZone Subscriber

The state would have to sign off even for 5 radios for vol firefighters? The counties for the most part make those decisions here but Ill double check

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    The state would have to sign off even for 5 radios for vol firefighters? The counties for the most part make those decisions here but Ill double check
    The technical reviewers for AFG will submit your app to the state communications co-ordinator for approval to make sure that any grant money will be expended properly.
    Doesn't matter how many units.

Yep it sounds ridiculous to me also !

I don't make the rules, just try to follow as many of them as I can figure out.
    Have done half a dozen successful comm grants and thats the process. :-}

One state wanted the department to buy 2800 $ radios for interoperability , even though no one within a hundred miles was using the statewide 800 mhz system , and to buy them would have left them with zero interoperability within a three county area.
    We managed to get them to see the light and allow them to buy top of the line VHF radios for under $800 ea.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 08-16-2011 at 06:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember you cannot purchase individual portable radios......portable radios are limited to the seated positions of the apparatus.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seated positions of Fire Dept response VEHICLES. Does not have to be an "apparatus".

MembersZone Subscriber

OK If AFG check with the state of Arkansas I should have full approval. I have already checked with the state. Also Yes I am aware of radios just for seated postions we still have more seated positions that we do firefighters so thats not a issue.

Forum Member

Make sure you have the names and perferrable, email verifications from your Arkansas emergency management confirming their approval of your request and that it is complementary of their state's interoperatability plan.

You do not want approval of your tier 1 turnouts held back because one of the state Emergency Management personnel has a foggy recollection a year later.

It is just easier to document now than take a risk later down the time line.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Make sure you have the names and perferrable, email verifications from your Arkansas emergency management confirming their approval of your request and that it is complementary of their state's interoperatability plan.

You do not want approval of your tier 1 turnouts held back because one of the state Emergency Management personnel has a foggy recollection a year later.

It is just easier to document now than take a risk later down the time line.
    Hey Jim: you really did pay attention to all the advice we gave you prior to your regional comm grant.
    Have the flood waters receded yet?

Thread Information