MembersZone Subscriber

Wow..... I'm impressed...... I thought I was particular and noticed the details. Good job guys.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by insidethebox View Post
    And they get on the scenes of their EMS calls, do all their work and turn it over to the ambulance without one word of report. Must be how California's system got it's start.
    Well, if you think about it, they never transfer care to the ambulance crew...those guys are just drivers, one of the paramedics has to ride in to tend the patient (that's why they always end up at Rampart talking to Dixie after every call )
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

There are still areas within LA County that operate similar to this. We also operate this way because the Hospital provides the ambulance and the Crew, but we (the FD) are ALS Providers.

Having ran with LA County for awhile they are under what is called "Medical Direction". I believe that is the proper term..... In our County the Medics can be a bit more aggressive in their treatments prior to contact.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbzep View Post
    He worked at Station 10 which upon reviewing the beginning of the show, looks just as urban if not more so than Station 51. The first call with 10 was paged as a "factory fire". They then got called to a rescue on a power line that looked to be in the suburban hills.

To follow up with the rest of the calls, Johnny becomes a paramedic and teams up with Roy on 51. Their first call is an MVA with Dixie riding along because they aren't authorized by the state do do anything yet. Next field action is a search for a severed arm at a marina. Then comes a rural MVA with Dixie, where she ends up getting injured and the guys treat without medical consent. The last call is a tunnel explosion with "everybody but us" getting called. Eventually Station 51 gets called in. Dr. Brackett tells the guys to treat patients before the state law is passed allowing them to treat. Eventually he and Dixie show up at the collapse and tell them the state law passed. Hopefully I haven't missed one as I just skimmed the episode quickly.

'Station 10' was actually L.A.County Station 8, in West Hollywood, and is actually even more urban than Station 127 AKA 51

Emergency also the second series that LACFD Station 8's been featured in. The first was, of course, Rescue 8.

Also, if you get the chance, look up the opening scenes of the pilot episode of Emergency...STILL one of the coolest movie openings, ever, after 40 years!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by photone View Post
    'Station 10' was actually L.A.County Station 8, in West Hollywood, and is actually even more urban than Station 127 AKA 51
    Thanks for confirming what I thought about 10 being more urban, though I had no idea the exact location.
    Emergency also the second series that LACFD Station 8's been featured in. The first was, of course, Rescue 8.
    I've been trying to locate episodes of Rescue 8 but haven't been able to. I keep my eye out on Amazon, eBay, and even check for torrents every now and then.
    Also, if you get the chance, look up the opening scenes of the pilot episode of Emergency...STILL one of the coolest movie openings, ever, after 40 years!
    It's one of the best ever, especially for us. I just wish they would have actually pushed the button to open the bay doors instead of cupping over it.

Forum Member

Most if not all of the episodes are availible on Hulu.com as well, except for the pilot episode. (unless they've added it recently) Very good quality picture, better that what I watched it in originally.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Most if not all of the episodes are availible on Hulu.com as well, except for the pilot episode. (unless they've added it recently) Very good quality picture, better that what I watched it in originally.
    I have watched quite a few episodes of Emergency on Hulu. Right now I am watching Dragnet episodes. Just started season 4 of Dragnet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post
    I have watched quite a few episodes of Emergency on Hulu. Right now I am watching Dragnet episodes. Just started season 4 of Dragnet.
    Speaking of Jack Webb and Dragnet, his Mark VII Limited production company also produced Emergency! and Adam-12. The first 5 (of 7) seasons of Adam-12 are on Netflix. Season six is due out on DVD Jan 17, so it should hit Netflix in the not too distant future. One of his last few shows was Project U.F.O., which I'd like to get hold of, but I've only found it in torrents and I want to stay away from that.

I forgot if it has been mentioned, but John Gage and Roy Desoto had their first tv appearance on an episode of Adam-12. I wouldn't call Emergency! a spinoff, though. The characters were only on camera for a quick couple of lines of dialogue. Webb just used Adam-12 to introduce his new show's main characters.

Forum Member

Dang, and here I thought I was one of the few youngsters that watched the show. Believe me, I took over the TV on Saturday night when Emergency came on. Some day I hope to go out to California to see the station that was Station 51.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a great "reunion" of the cast on GMA in 1986:

http://youtu.be/v2Mj3hRx-Ag

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbzep View Post
    I forgot if it has been mentioned, but John Gage and Roy Desoto had their first tv appearance on an episode of Adam-12. I wouldn't call Emergency! a spinoff, though. The characters were only on camera for a quick couple of lines of dialogue. Webb just used Adam-12 to introduce his new show's main characters.
    Thee was another episode in Emergency where they were watching TV in the house and Reed and Malloy were on, chasing some bad guys out in a mountainous area.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRube View Post
    Thee was another episode in Emergency where they were watching TV in the house and Reed and Malloy were on, chasing some bad guys out in a mountainous area.....
    The Emergency! episode is from season one and is called "Hang-up". The Adam-12 episode they were watching is from season 4 and is called "Ambush".

Reed, Malloy, Gage and DeSoto are portrayed as real guys in Adam-12, but Reed and Malloy are shown as make-believe tv characters on Emergency!

Now it gets good. Marco Lopez was a sheriff's deputy in the Adam-12 episode, so he was watching himself on the "Hang-up" episode.

Forum Member

I watched "Camera Bug" from season 4 tonight and noticed that a victim on the show was, Angelo De Meo, the same guy as we most most often saw as an ambulance attendant. I knew he had been used as an orderly in the first season or two, but didn't remember him being anything else other than the attendant. I looked him up and found that he was an attendant, an orderly, a firefighter, a victim, SWAT leader, and other misc. roles on nearly 50 episodes. On top of that, he was Randolf Mantooth's (Johnny's) stunt double in several shows. That explains the hairy arms Johnny had on some of his tougher rescues.

Looking through the rest of the cast, it seems that most of the ambulance attendants had other roles as policemen, victims, etc. Harold Frizzell was an ambulance attendant in more shows than De Meo, but had fewer appearances as other characters. I guess actors were still contracted by studios in the 70's. In earlier decades, actors on contract with a studio would appear in pretty much every show or movie that studio put out.

Thread Information