Default Chevy Duramax Diesel issue

Have not made it nation wide yet, but our Ambulance went down for a faulty craftsmanship of the Torque converter. The repair shop said it was the third he seen to go thru his Dealership Shop.

Forum Member

Default Duramax

Was the Isuzu pre earthquake or post?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Spookrider View Post
    Have not made it nation wide yet, but our Ambulance went down for a faulty craftsmanship of the Torque converter. The repair shop said it was the third he seen to go thru his Dealership Shop.
    Should've bought a Ford, they're completely trouble free!

Quote Originally Posted by getasupply View Post
    Was the Isuzu pre earthquake or post?
    Way pre its a 2010 or 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    For being some what free from the County Gov. with some string attach. We take what we can get.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    MINE are! T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Duramax Issues

Wouldn't the torque converter be a part of the Allison Transmission?

Forum Member

Yup but some of the early releases had TC issues. There is a bulletin out on this as I recall. T.C.

Forum Member

Yup but some of the early releases had T/C issues. There is a bulletin out on this as I recall. T.C.

Forum Member

Wait, the Duramax has an Isuzu tranny? That explains ALOT! I have an Isuzu Trooper, GM made, 2001. Biggest POS ever, has a sealed tranny, can't even change the fluid on my own. I can't wait to get rid of it soon and get another F-250. Never had a problem out of it.

Forum Member

If its a van type 3500 4500 chassis it has a 4L60 or 4L80 transmission not an Allison.
    I maintain 3 2009 GMC Savanna 4500 Ambulances with absolutely Zero Drivetrain problems since being placed in service.
    These are much better than the Ford E450's they replaced which were an absolute nightmare. (7.3 Powerstroke Too)
    One had a torque converter problem before being delieverd new which was adressed by GMC. No problems since.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Wait, the Duramax has an Isuzu tranny? That explains ALOT! I have an Isuzu Trooper, GM made, 2001. Biggest POS ever, has a sealed tranny, can't even change the fluid on my own. I can't wait to get rid of it soon and get another F-250. Never had a problem out of it.
    Nope, the Duramax is where the Iscrewsu genes show up. The transmission SHOULD be a Allison. The EARLY versions had some T/C issues and were warranteed. The engine had a few injector issues early on,again they were warranteed. The Duramax has Chev/Isuzu joint roots therein lies its Isuzu branding. Savvy? T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 08-23-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Nope, the Duramax is where the Iscrewsu genes show up. The transmission SHOULD be a Allison. The EARLY versions had some T/C issues and were warranteed. The engine had a few injector issues on,again they were warranteed. The Duramax has Chev/Isuzu joint roots therein lies its Isuzu branding. Savvy? T.C.
    Reason number two for me not to buy a Chevy. Number one was because they asked for a government bail out, got the bail out, and then turned around and filed bankruptcy anyway. That in my book is a bitch move. THanks for the info Rescue101. After owning an Isuzu, anything that has anything to do with it is taboo to me. The 4 wheel drive on the Trooper is great, whenever I can keep the damn thing running right, haha.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Reason number two for me not to buy a Chevy. Number one was because they asked for a government bail out, got the bail out, and then turned around and filed bankruptcy anyway. That in my book is a bitch move. THanks for the info Rescue101. After owning an Isuzu, anything that has anything to do with it is taboo to me. The 4 wheel drive on the Trooper is great, whenever I can keep the damn thing running right, haha.
    You'll find I'm NO fan of Isuzu nor GM.Troopers.........Know MORE about them than I really want to. AND..............I would NOT own one. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    You'll find I'm NO fan of Isuzu nor GM.Troopers.........Know MORE about them than I really want to. AND..............I would NOT own one. T.C.
    Yeah, it was a twist of fate that brought me together with mine. I must have really brought on some bad carma, haha. I had a 2001 F-250 with the V10. My recruiter said I wouldn't be able to afford it as a Private, so I got rid of it and we kept my wife's Trooper that was paid for, enter every problem that a Trooper can have.

I miss my truck, I can't wait to get another one once I get out of the military and get stabalized at a fire department. I just hate to buy a new/used truck right here before getting out, especially in this economy. I'll have to have a job lined up before I do. Until then, I'll just keep chugging along in the cursed Trooper, haha.

Forum Member

The Duramax ONLY comes with the Allison transmission.

I just checked with our shop foreman and he knows nothing about any recalls or bulletins concerning the problem mentioned.

As with anything mechanical, things break. However, if you check the records you will find that there have been less problems with the Duramax/Allison combo than from our blue oval friends. (My mother told me its impolite to say a 4 letter word that starts with F.)

The only changes to the engine have been to boost the horsepower and torque, not any total redesign or 2 or 3.

Make sure you check out the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4sULsDDkI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STEVLilrgfg

Have some fun with these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=qAPHDxcfz20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVJHSw9EB4A&NR=1
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    The Duramax ONLY comes with the Allison transmission.

I just checked with our shop foreman and he knows nothing about any recalls or bulletins concerning the problem mentioned.

As with anything mechanical, things break. However, if you check the records you will find that there have been less problems with the Duramax/Allison combo than from our blue oval friends. (My mother told me its impolite to say a 4 letter word that starts with F.)

The only changes to the engine have been to boost the horsepower and torque, not any total redesign or 2 or 3.

Make sure you check out the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4sULsDDkI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STEVLilrgfg

Have some fun with these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=qAPHDxcfz20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVJHSw9EB4A&NR=1
    Better haveyour SM LOOK at his bulletind AGAIN. OR,if you prefer,I'll get you the TSB's.EARLY versions had BOTH injector AND/OR Torque Converter issues. I'm a small country general shop and WE KNOW these bulletins. Rather Odd that a GM shop DOESN'T. T.C.

Thread Information