MembersZone Subscriber

Default Highrise Company Assignments

We are presently giving our highrise tactics a complete overhaul, as in actually implementing one. Currently we are facing some trouble determining company assignments. I've campaigned for the ALSBase structure but was hoping to see if any one else has an opinion on it or can introduce me to anything better.

Thanks in advance.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Let's talk fire trucks!

The Richmond (VA) Metro Chief's Association spent a couple of years putting together a high rise policy for our entire region. Although high-rises are the exception, rather than the norm, outside of the City of Richmond itself, it gives both RFD and mutual aid companies an idea of what their assignments will be when operating at a high rise incident.

Part of this initiative was that all four of the "big four" departments (Richmond, Henrico, Chesterfield, and Hanover) went with the same high rise packs, nozzles, and hose lays. Futhermore, months of training involving all of the jurisdictions occurred before the policy was formally adopted in the field.

When you read this, keep in mind that Richmond runs both quints and engines, whereas the other three jurisdictions runs a standard engine/truck concept. That might help you understand the matrix.

Here's a link to the policy: Metro Richmond High Rise Policy.

Let me know if I can provide you with anything else...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks a ton LT, you mind if I print it out and bring it to my officers to browse through?
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Let's talk fire trucks!

Not at all, hopefully your department can learn and/or use some items out of it.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

tajma611

Whilie Boxalarm beat me to the punch on posting our highrise policy. I can tell you that the policy is very well thought out and works. Depending on the size of your department the high rise policy is only a piece of the puzzle. Mutual aid is more then likely going to be involved. Our area has made great advances over the past few years to include interoperatable radios, regional training on this topic and a few others. Currently the metro area in the process of working on a regional accountablity system. All of these are going to come into play when a major high rise incident happens.

One thing to not over look is the logistics side of the ball game. The amount of labor that is needed to support fire operations on these types of incident is huge. Whilie this is not as "fun" to plan it is very important.

As I am sure you are well aware. Knowledge of the types and oddities in the high rises in your area is one of the most important keys. Depending on the age of your city the fire codes very greatly based on time of construction.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    The Richmond (VA) Metro Chief's Association spent a couple of years putting together a high rise policy for our entire region. Although high-rises are the exception, rather than the norm, outside of the City of Richmond itself, it gives both RFD and mutual aid companies an idea of what their assignments will be when operating at a high rise incident.

Part of this initiative was that all four of the "big four" departments (Richmond, Henrico, Chesterfield, and Hanover) went with the same high rise packs, nozzles, and hose lays. Futhermore, months of training involving all of the jurisdictions occurred before the policy was formally adopted in the field.

When you read this, keep in mind that Richmond runs both quints and engines, whereas the other three jurisdictions runs a standard engine/truck concept. That might help you understand the matrix.

Here's a link to the policy: Metro Richmond High Rise Policy.

Let me know if I can provide you with anything else...

This similar to the policy that was developed back in 1984. There is a lot of updating and different wording but still works the same.

We did a practical for an Officer Class, using two retired Assistant Chief out of Los Angeles City gleaming their knowledge and formatting into our size city.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information