Forum Member

Default Anyone use Firefighter Mortgages???

Hi

In my continuing saga of a crappy economy, we are looking into refinancing our home to get a lower payment. I saw online that there is a Firefighter Mortgage company that specializes in mortgages to firefighters. Has anyone used them? Are they reputable or do they look good until you read the fineprint? Just looking for information about them; do not know much, nor have I heard about them before. Saw them listed in a Fireman publication at one time. Again, thanks for the assistance. Time to take out some frustration on a demo car. It's practice night, we have a car to cut up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vermontmike View Post
    Hi

In my continuing saga of a crappy economy, we are looking into refinancing our home to get a lower payment. I saw online that there is a Firefighter Mortgage company that specializes in mortgages to firefighters. Has anyone used them? Are they reputable or do they look good until you read the fineprint? Just looking for information about them; do not know much, nor have I heard about them before. Saw them listed in a Fireman publication at one time. Again, thanks for the assistance. Time to take out some frustration on a demo car. It's practice night, we have a car to cut up
    Make sure you read ALL of the fine print. Coming from a military background I have seen a lot of shady crap geared towards the military. Usually if they say they "specialize" in a particular field, they're pretty shady. Unless it's a credit union. For instance most Marine Corps bases have a Navy Federal Credit Union and/or a Marine Federal Credit Union near them, those are legit financial institutions. Just be careful and make sure you do your homework on places like that that target certain interest groups. I'm not saying they are or are not legitimate. I'm just saying use caution. You got a link?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Make sure you read ALL of the fine print. Coming from a military background I have seen a lot of shady crap geared towards the military. Usually if they say they "specialize" in a particular field, they're pretty shady. Unless it's a credit union. For instance most Marine Corps bases have a Navy Federal Credit Union and/or a Marine Federal Credit Union near them, those are legit financial institutions. Just be careful and make sure you do your homework on places like that that target certain interest groups. I'm not saying they are or are not legitimate. I'm just saying use caution. You got a link?
    Thanks for the info. The only link I have is FirefighterMortgages.com
    It looks like they are not a bank nor are they a credit union. I am guessing they are a company that works through banks/lenders. I have not found any institution locally that is affiliated with them; so I am hesitant. I would much rather use a local bank or CU like you suggested; someone with a face Again, thank you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vermontmike View Post
    Thanks for the info. The only link I have is FirefighterMortgages.com
    It looks like they are not a bank nor are they a credit union. I am guessing they are a company that works through banks/lenders. I have not found any institution locally that is affiliated with them; so I am hesitant. I would much rather use a local bank or CU like you suggested; someone with a face Again, thank you.
    I'll try and see what I can dig up on them. If the've been around for any length of time there will be some kind of feedback on them. Better yet, look them up on the Better Buisiness Bureau, if they're not on there, I'd be a little more wary. If they're on there and have a lot of negative feedback, stay away from them.

Forum Member

Another thing you can do is apply for a loan with them. Before you sign anything though, look at the APR and the length of the loan. There should also be a section that shows how much interest total that you will have paid over the period of time for the loan. A lot of places charge high interest rates as well. I'm not saying to count them out completely, just know what you are getting into, read EVERYTHING. I have Lance Corporals that get into trouble all the time with some of these loan places specializing in military loans. Again, just be careful and knowledgable about what you are gettin into.

Thread Information