Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Question Regarding Medical Backgrounds

Hey guys, I need a little expertise here. So a while back (3 years), I went to the urgent care for what turned out to be acid reflux which was kind of irritating my throat. Any how, when I was there, the doctor did an EKG on my and mentioned something about "the interval of your heart was a little bit longer than normal, but nothing to worry about and a lot of people have it..." I didn't think much of it because he said whatever it was was due to me being an athlete my whole life. Well I came across the EKG print out he gave me a couple of months ago and it turns out that I guess I have 1st degree AV block... So my question is could this potentially affect me in medical back grounds down the road?? I have never been to the doctor with any cardiac related issues nor have I ever experience anything related to cardiac problems. Any other time I had been to the doctor, they also told me heart's great blah blah... I am not sure where to go with this. I obviously don't want to go to a cardiologist because it may look suspicious. I was told by the medics I work with that it's nothing to worry about because I have no history, just don't mention it. Any ideas guys??

Forum Member

Would go see a cardio and get professional opinion, and find out what they see and say

If the dept does a treadmill test it may show up , but should not disqualify you

Forum Member

If he was talking about your PR interval being elongated, that could mean a first degree block... Or was he talking about an elongated QRS? I doubt u have a block... Like he said, probably normal.

Forum Member

Thank you for the quick replies. Yes, according to the EKG it came back as a first degree av block.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFire87 View Post
    Thank you for the quick replies. Yes, according to the EKG it came back as a first degree av block.
    So that is what the EKG machine read and printed that on the paper?

If that is true those aren't always accurate. Only way to be sure is to talk to a cardiologist.

I did one the other day that said this person was having an ACUTE MI. 16 year old female. and no she was not having an MI.

Let the doctor read it not the machine and trust the doctor.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Hey man I'm not a cardiologist by any means, but I am a paramedic. People have 1st degree blocks all the time. It's no big deal. I had a 24 year old soccer player in my class with a 1st degree block and the guy could run a marathon without breathing hard.

Not sure how departments look at it, but if it's non systematic with no previous hx it shouldn't be a issue. If it was mE personally I'd avoid a cArdiologist unless instructed to do so by the hiring department. That's me Though.

Goodluck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyricanff2b View Post
    Hey man I'm not a cardiologist by any means, but I am a paramedic. People have 1st degree blocks all the time. It's no big deal. I had a 24 year old soccer player in my class with a 1st degree block and the guy could run a marathon without breathing hard.

Not sure how departments look at it, but if it's non systematic with no previous hx it shouldn't be a issue. If it was mE personally I'd avoid a cArdiologist unless instructed to do so by the hiring department. That's me Though.

Goodluck
    Thank you for the feed back, and that is what i was originally told by my doctor and by the medics I work with... I was a runner when I was younger and from what I was told and have read, as an athlete you can develop 1st deg block.. I appreciate the feedback and it makes me feel a bit better.

Thread Information