Forum Member

Question Jr & Firefighter Confidence and Drill training

Well i have the wheels turning for a new day of training on my dept, i used microsoft office and printed up some curriculum ideas and some firehouse drills, now i talked to all my qualified instuctors and most on my dept, it seems alot are interested, any ideas to keep them interested, seeing how i am basically the leader of my Junior program because im 21, not really appointed or experienced as much but age matters. be onscene 15 times my worst being a MVA/Heavy entrapment our juniors roll on all calls, so i came up with a training program and those instructors willing to teach, basically im pulling it all together because we need practical training, about 10 firefighters are professional and volunteer here. Since lives are on the line and sweat is better than blood, id like some ideas to keep every one interested and make the training something everybody wants to come to and learn critical skills. Any ideas ?

Forum Member

Anything and everything. Things as simple as going over the apparatus to make sure they know what is what and where it's at and changing SCBA bottles, to things more complicated like search and rescue drills. The more they can learn in house the better off they will be when/if they take any state certified training. I know there is a few links on the forum somewhere with different training props so you should look into those too.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

In my department we train with the firefighters (due to the size of my department), we basically train on everything the firefighters train on within limits of the law and department SOGs. Mainly we are trained to do what we are expected to do on scene, but we still participate in other trainings we would not be allowed to do on the fireground (e.g. wearing SCBA). To help you out I'll give you a list of different types of training that keep most Juniors interested.

SCBA (also learning how to change the bottles)
    Search and rescue
    RIT
    Water rescue
    First Responder and CPR
    Water supply (such as assisting the driver hooking up, operating the nozzles in a controlled environment, or an overview of how to get water from point a to b in different scenarios)
    Knots
    Equipment and its location and name (very important)

I hoped this helped out a little, but basically training on everything the firefighters do can be beneficial, whether the Juniors are just watching or doing, just remember to mix it up.

Jake

Forum Member

Ladders, Rehab(including taking vitals), Exterior ops, SCBA filling(if your dept has an air unit).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JakeT59 View Post
    In my department we train with the firefighters (due to the size of my department), we basically train on everything the firefighters train on within limits of the law and department SOGs. Mainly we are trained to do what we are expected to do on scene, but we still participate in other trainings we would not be allowed to do on the fireground (e.g. wearing SCBA). To help you out I'll give you a list of different types of training that keep most Juniors interested.

SCBA (also learning how to change the bottles)
    Search and rescue
    RIT
    Water rescue
    First Responder and CPR
    Water supply (such as assisting the driver hooking up, operating the nozzles in a controlled environment, or an overview of how to get water from point a to b in different scenarios)
    Knots
    Equipment and its location and name (very important)

I hoped this helped out a little, but basically training on everything the firefighters do can be beneficial, whether the Juniors are just watching or doing, just remember to mix it up.

Jake

nicely put......keeping them interested would be the biggest challenge as alot of training done is repetitive. mixing it up with different drills should keep the "spark"
    I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

-343-

Forum Member

Also make sure they know and understand the dept. sog/sop's
    I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

-343-

One of the best ways to teach is by invoking a challenge. You can pretty much make anything into a challenge from gear races to department/apparatus trivia to mazes. The key to this kind of training is accuracy. No point in being the first to have all your gear on if you missed buttons or snaps or zippers that could cost you life or limb in the real world. I have a great SCBA endurance training I could email you if you would like also. Just send me your email address in a private message.

Also I have found one of the most important trainings you can do with juniors is communications training. This can include everything from learning how to repeat instructions back to an officer before doing a task to what not to do on a radio (swear, yell, mumble, eat the mic, etc.). When all other training is forgotten, most anything can still be accomplished with effective communication skills.
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Just thought I would share what we do at my Department. Every month we do one Fire Training and one EMS Training, and then throughout the year we do several Saturday 8 hour day trainings.

Fire:
    Jan - SCBA
    Feb - Ice Rescue Training
    Mar - Pump Operations
    Apr - RIT
    May - SCBA
    Jun - Brush Fire Training
    Jul - Mutual Aid Training
    Aug - SOG/SOP
    Sept - SCBA
    Oct - Farm Rescue Training
    Nov - Rural Water Ops
    Dec - SCBA

EMS:
    Jan - Cold Related Injuries
    Feb - Hazmat/Scene Size up
    Mar - Behavioral
    Apr - Report Writing
    May - Heat Injuries
    June - Respiratory
    July - Sport related injuries
    Aug - Protocols
    Sept - Diabetes Emergencies
    Oct - Auto Extrication
    Nov - Cardiac Emergencies
    Dec - Ambulance equipment review

Then we usually do the TRA, HMA, FSVO certification classes as well. Then most of us usually go to other trainings that are currently free. Hope this helps out.
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member

A few questions, do you train at a tower or some form of training prop, do you have access to out of service--not going on calls--engines, how often do you train?

If you do, here is a drill, take all your Pre-connects--crosslays, whatever you call your primary attack lines--into the building charged, then ladder the building. Then put it all away and do it again. Easy fun and efficient... To change it up start everyone in socks next to their gear and have a turnout drill.

Forum Member

A big thing any Junior can do if you have a ladder truck is LADDERS LADDERS LADDERS and more LADDERS. If there is a window and a ladder marry it. Keep going until you are out of either.

Ladders save lives. They save our lives and lives of anyone who may be trapped. Being able to throw a 24 ft ladder by yourself is something I feel anyone should be able to do. I've seen 4 foot 9 girls throw them in full gear with SCBA. As a Jr you can't go in. But that doesn't mean you can't throw ladders.

Another thing:

Our explorers train on Thursdays from 1800-2100. This is EXPLORER training night. They are trained on everything you are trained in an Ohio 240 class. You can't go on calls until you are on the department for at least 6 months, pass a 100 question written test, and a practical exam. This testing procedure goes over everything our probies are taught (radio channels, mutual aid agreements, sop/sog's, trucks, EVERYTHING).

Once you pass your Explorer II test and are able to go on calls, you must also start attending DEPARTMENT trainings on Wednesdays from 1930-2130.

Our explorers are taught enough that many probies will attend explorer trainings to get a better feel for the department and learn things that they need to be checked off on.

By the time our explorers are old enough to go through fire school, they are almost always the best in the class.
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

Thread Information