Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Attack line techniques

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    It is worth looking up and training on.
    The Nozzle Forward is hands down the best class I've taken in the fire service. I've participated 5 times now and every time I learn something new. Our department has integrated NF techniques into all our quarterly training this year.

If you're interested in taking his class, he will come teach it in your region. He's been in Nebraska, Alaska, and will be going to Texas next month.

Check out "Nozzle Forward" on Facebook.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bale at arm's length, because you need to be able to aim. Tuck the hose to your side under your armpit and lock it in. Your front hand shouldn't have to do anything other than open & close the bale, aim, and change the pattern. Never square off and be on both knees when flowing. You have no base, and will be knocked on your butt. When advancing, your weight is on your front leg, which is outstretched and planted in front of you. Trail leg behind you, knee down. Besides being a strong base, if the floor gives out in front of you, you'll be able to fall backwards and away from the hole.

A good back up person will catch up to you, and take all of the weight away from you, so that all you have to do is aim and flow.

To be quite frank, if an 1 3/4 whips you, No firefighter should struggle with this line, just like no firefighter should struggle throwing a 24' ladder (I've seen it). I'd get in the gym and work on getting stronger ASAP. You need core stability, which you can get from front squats, planche variations, single arm farmer's carries, etc. You'll also need a strong grip, and leg endurance to hold your position.

For car fires, sweeping the eaves or through a window before going interior, or any situation that you would flow from a standing position, you can easily control the line by standing on the line with your back foot. It takes most of the nozzle reaction away.

If you feel like the hose is going to get away from you, either gate it down, or fall bacwards on your but onto the line then gate it down. Whatever you do, don't drop the line.

Many people don't know this, but there are several different types of hose, which can have different liners, which affect friction loss. Your crosslay may have several different types of 1 3/4" on each line! As such, you may not actually be getting 110psi. It might be 100, or 120 even. Check your station's records to reference what types of hose you have.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

MembersZone Subscriber

If you kept the line low, pinned to your hip with your weight under you, youd see how much easier it is. Not to mention, with your weight infront of you, you have a greater chance of falling down or through a hole in a floor. Pinning the line under the armpit is both ineffective and will tire you out too quickly, regardless of strength and stamina.
    MFurci19 likes this.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    The Nozzle Forward is hands down the best class I've taken in the fire service. I've participated 5 times now and every time I learn something new. Our department has integrated NF techniques into all our quarterly training this year.

If you're interested in taking his class, he will come teach it in your region. He's been in Nebraska, Alaska, and will be going to Texas next month.

Check out "Nozzle Forward" on Facebook.
    Aaron just got word he'll be features in the upcoming Andy Fredricks training day.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Aaron just got word he'll be features in the upcoming Andy Fredricks training day.
    That is good news. I am doing my best to make it up there, along with a couple of FOOLS from down this way.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had planned on attending but I've been invited to FDIC so my funds are going towards that trip. I hope to one day attend both of those events every year but I have too much going on...

Forum Member

Just wanted to add my .02 that Aaron's class is top-notch. I'm not exactly the biggest FF out there, and what he's shown me is invaluable. I can't believe I spent so many years in the fire service before ever seeing or hearing about the Tanaka (sp?) grip... "welcome to the rebirth of the basics".

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to agree. I really wish I could fit AFTD into my schedule but with FSW, FDIC, and smoke jumpers.... I'll have to wait. I'm very disappointed it couldn't have worked out better.... his information is top notch.

Good to see that the "young guys" still have something to provide.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hose control techniques

Try the Bowring Tool at www.thebowring.com . It is an incredible fire/rescue tool that fits easily in your bunker pants pocket. It fits 6 different hose sizes, it's an emergency bailout descender, a RIT firefighter drag device, a cheater bar, standpipe wheel, spanner wrench for 1" up to 2-1/2" rocker lug and up to 5" storz, a gas shut off tool, a windshield remover/glass ripper, a mattress hook, a sheet rock ripper, an oxygen bottle wrench, a pin lug spanner, a water shut off tool and a door wedge. It solves a major problem of the Nance drill in that it easily attaches the unconscious firefighter to the hose for removal from the basement.

I got mine in the mail yesterday and have removed most of the other tools from my bunkers.

Check out the training videos.....it sells itself.

Mike
    Last edited by rsqman; 11-16-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: wrong address

MembersZone Subscriber

Fix your link.

(and the traffic on your side of the MRB)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fix link/traffic

The link is fixed. It should have been www.thebowring.com and the traffic on my side of the MRB is not a problem. Everyone knows the Westside is the good side of the bridge.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rsqman View Post
    The link is fixed. It should have been www.thebowring.com and the traffic on my side of the MRB is not a problem. Everyone knows the Westside is the good side of the bridge.
    True. I'm glad I take the first exit off that bridge when going eastbound....

Stay safe out there, hope you're enjoying this lovely hot (and wet) winter we're having.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cold weather

I moved down here many years ago to get out of fighting fires in the ice and snow. I'll take hot weather any day. Try fighting fires in below zero weather with 30+ mph winds.

Thread Information