Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why CAFS?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    One thing's for certain, as I and many others have pointed out in other discussions here: You will have to supply your CAFS lines from tank.
    Wrong.....
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post

With our new engine coming with CAFS I am against it. for the following reasons:
    1) it added 50000 to the cost of the truck
    I think someone either lied to you or Pierce took you to the cleaners.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Wrong.....
    I'd be interested in learning why you say that. Granted, it could be done from draft, too, or from hydrants with very low pressure.

Forum Member

I'd be interested in learning why you say that. Granted, it could be done from draft, too, or from hydrants with very low pressure.
    Can't you just gate down your intake line? (just asking, I've never used CAFS other than a Tri-Maxx extinguisher)

Forum Member

I stand corrected - we just recieved a pumper with an on board proportioner. Evidently it is not a CAFS.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I think someone either lied to you or Pierce took you to the cleaners.
    I know of a department that received proposals for pumpers last month. Their specs had an option for a 200CFM CAFS system with five discharges. The lowest price was $47,000 and the highest was $56,000.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Let's talk fire trucks!

...duplicate post...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Can't you just gate down your intake line? (just asking, I've never used CAFS other than a Tri-Maxx extinguisher)
    It easier to have a consistent CAFS flow when using tank water, which is fed at a constant, calculated rate versus trying to figure out how much to gate the intake back to get the right flow.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I know of a department that received proposals for pumpers last month. Their specs had an option for a 200CFM CAFS system with five discharges. The lowest price was $47,000 and the highest was $56,000.
    Like I said, I had the onboard proportioning system and the CAFS's intertwined in my head.

Still seems high - even for a CAFS system. I doubt it is worth the price in urban firefighting environments where water systems are good and your 2nd, 3rd, & 4th due are less than 6 minutes away.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

When we built ours it was a $22k upgrade to add the 200 cfm eclipse system.
    So with inflation and material cost increases over the past 13 years, would probably be at least $35-40k in todays dollars.

It's biggest benefit is for rural depts without a city main to tap into every hundred yards or less.
    It extends the water we bring to the scene by removing BTu's and absorbing more than straight H2o.

I've seen room & contents extinguished with 50 -75 gallons of water using CAFS.

We Did a training burn on a large 200 yo farmhouse for a neighboring career dept that was looking at buying Cafs on new trucks.

Some of the old dinosaurs had to stand on the engine deck & watch the flow meters to be convinced at how effective it was in knockdown & extinguishment.

After a dozen interior room burns they decided to light it off. We coated the 60' X 80' barn exterior with sticky foam and kept it recoated.
    45 minutes later the big barn was ready to fall down and we still had the vinyl siding intact on the exterior. Barn basically collapsed inside it's own footprint.

I did have to gate the electric intake back as they had 80 psi residual coming off their 12" hydrant mains, in order to keep my rpm's up to power the compressor at speed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I've seen room & contents extinguished with 50 -75 gallons of water using CAFS.
    I've seen room and contents extinguished with less than 50 - 75 gallons of water.......without foam.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 08-23-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Thread Information