Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Super Singles on a pumper?

We are starting to research pumpers (maybe3) and one of the guys who drives
    a dump truck said we should look into super singles for the rear axles.
    I worked for a company that changed over to s.s. for their trailer fleet ,I've never seen s.s. on the rears of a pumper,Any insight into this would be great.
    Thanks

Default Super Singles

In 1992, in a previous department, we researched and then purchased a Pierce Javelin. Since none of us had no experience with this setup, and to minimize any downtime in the event of a wheel or tire problem; part of the bid was a front and rear spare wheel and tire set. The Javelin's GKN front driving axle requires a diffrent wheel than the rear, thus 2 spares. Do not know how this would work on a rear drive truck, but it does give ours a smooth ride. Truck is still in service as a first due piece.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are currently operating a 1750 KME engine with super singles both front and rear as it is a 4 wheel drive unit with a 6 man cab and 750 tank. It is a little squirelly on ice, but goes well in snow and mud. No problems at all.

MembersZone Subscriber

What tank size and body configuration will you be using, and/or do you know the approximate GVW or RAWR?

Forum Member

Pierce all-steer had singles on the rear. both aerials and pumpers.

Forum Member

Default Super Singles

My new department has received two identical pumper/tenders with super singles. They are 2500 gallon tanks with twin rear axles and driven front axle. So far everyone has been pleased we will see when the snow and ice comes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Captain View Post
    My new department has received two identical pumper/tenders with super singles. They are 2500 gallon tanks with twin rear axles and driven front axle. So far everyone has been pleased we will see when the snow and ice comes.
    What chassis? Photo? Do you run chains?

Forum Member

I've noticed the super singles being used for many years by some depts- esp those in mountainous areas, and/or who do a lot of off road, or dirt road work. It all goes back to the arguement for single rear wheel brush trucks. Better performance in deep and soft conditions, and no danger of getting debris stuck between duals.

I remember, years ago, while on a skiing vacation in Park City, UT noticing that the engines had single rear wheels. This was back in the mid nineties.

I don't believe it would be an issue at all.

Like anything else, they have their downside:

One wheel instead of two, means you can't simply limp down the road with one of a set of duals flat.

The tires cost more than regular truck tires, as do the rims. But you use half as many.

Tire chains for them are not as widely available, and they cost- DEARLY. ( found this out the hard way when my company bought several dozen new trucks and many more trailers with SS's- and bought NO chains for them. I had to buy them on the road, and it was a chunk o change, let me tell ya!)

I, personally, have not noted any real problem with winter handling with this truck. Ice sucks- period- with any large commercial vehicle. I've beaten the hell out of them in the nastiest exploded mine field parking lots, and over the roughest roads, loaded to the hilt- and they've held up very well. My initial reservations were not borne out. ( I really need to quit listening to the nay sayers, and doom and gloom old hands- most simply hate and fear anything new- AND love to bitch.)

The only reservation I would have for a SS, would be if you had a flat. With a SS you're done, until fixed/replaced. Running duals will let you continue on the run. Price wise for tires, it is more to replace 2, than 4 running duals.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    What chassis? Photo? Do you run chains?
    KME Predator 6x6. The chief is talking about getting chains for it but none that I have heard of yet

Forum Member

I remember seeing a 2000 Pierce Pumper/Tanker with Super singles Being sold by Brindlee Mountain, it has since sold.

I an not sure what the regional requirements of those shoes, weight restrictions or otherwise

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

During my tenure as a civilian CFR Firefighter for the WiANG the USAF had a tanker/pumper that ran super singles all the way around. It was the P-18, a 6 wheel drive 500 gpm/2000 gbt, whose primary mission was crash rig resupply. It also could operate as a tanker or a pumper for structural attack.

I can honestly say I NEVER once drove that vehicle off pavement or hard packed gravel so I haven't got a clue how it would have operated off road.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Forum Member

Are you talking super singles as in 425/65r22.5 or the Michelin X-One 455/55r22.5?

Thread Information