Forum Member

Default ETMC (East Texas Medical Center) EMS

I understand this is not a FF-related topic, but I didn't know exactly where else to ask this question (I'm not a member of any other EMS forum)

There is a job opening for EMT and Paramedic with this company in Tyler, TX. I was wondering if anyone has any experience working for them and may have some insight into the job.

Are the majority of your calls hospital/nursing home transfers, or REAL EMS?
    What is the pay like? (EMT-B listed as "Pay Grade 65"...no idea what that means)
    What is the normal shift schedule?
    How is Tyler, TX like? (similar to Dallas/FW, or smaller, quieter?)

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
    "you know what the best part is? It's not knowing that your friends have got your back--it's knowing that YOU'VE got your FRIENDS' backs."

-Green Street Hooligans

Forum Member

ETMC is pretty cool. I don't work there, but I've done ALOT of clinical ride outs with them during my paramedic schooling. The people I've ridden with were all cool and know what they're talking about.

The ambulances are all late model Chevy "van" style ambulances with Duramax diesel's and the protocols are solid. They do 911. I've never done an interfacility transport with them. I don't think that's what they do.

If you're looking into a 911 job, check 'em out. I will say, however, that I wasn't completely impressed with their station. I've done all my ride outs at the same place and it's kinda beat up. But, at least the A/C works!!

Take care,
    Pete

Forum Member

Tyler is not dfw, smaller laid back has trees

Nice area out that way

Maybe take a weekend trip there and check it out

They do have roses

Give a couple of the stations a call, someone must work part time for them

http://www.cityoftyler.org/Admin/Tab...7/Default.aspx
    Last edited by fire49; 08-27-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Forum Member

Tyler is a nice community which is growing quite fast. I beleive the population is probably 50-70K.

It's also a very nice rural area around it with a lot to do as well as the proximity to Dallas (about 1 1/2 hours).
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    ETMC is pretty cool. I don't work there, but I've done ALOT of clinical ride outs with them during my paramedic schooling. The people I've ridden with were all cool and know what they're talking about.

The ambulances are all late model Chevy "van" style ambulances with Duramax diesel's and the protocols are solid. They do 911. I've never done an interfacility transport with them. I don't think that's what they do.

If you're looking into a 911 job, check 'em out. I will say, however, that I wasn't completely impressed with their station. I've done all my ride outs at the same place and it's kinda beat up. But, at least the A/C works!!

Take care,
    Pete
    Sounds great to me. Most of the private ambulance companies around my area, aside from "The Big Green" (Acadian) just do a majority of transferring patients and the elderly...not really enticing stuff. It's great to hear that ETMC responds to 911.
    I saw a picture of their station online...not exactly pretty by any means, but nothing to deter my interest. And hey, if the A/C works in Texas, I'm happy!

Thanks for the info
    "you know what the best part is? It's not knowing that your friends have got your back--it's knowing that YOU'VE got your FRIENDS' backs."

-Green Street Hooligans

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    They do have roses
    Hahah thanks for the crucial tip.

Calling the stations sounds like a good idea; I'm going to do that sometime this week, Thanks.

-Green Street Hooligans

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Tyler is a nice community which is growing quite fast. I beleive the population is probably 50-70K.

It's also a very nice rural area around it with a lot to do as well as the proximity to Dallas (about 1 1/2 hours).
    Sounds perfect. Thank you

-Green Street Hooligans

Forum Member

Did you check Longview???

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/longview.pdf

Do you want to be a ff???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Did you check Longview???

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/longview.pdf

Do you want to be a ff???
    Thanks for the awesome heads up. I definitely want to be a FF. I already have my EMT-B and in 2 weeks I start fire academy at LSU. Once I get my certs, I'm anticipating a lot of downtime during the application/hiring processes for any departments I apply to, so a job in EMS to fill the gap and gain some experience would be great. This is why I looked into ETMC--a friend mentioned they were hiring but knew nothing other than that. I'm going to give Longview a call this coming week.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Neil321; 08-28-2011 at 07:31 AM.

-Green Street Hooligans

Forum Member

E-mail me if you would like more info as I was just there this spring for a couple of days.

Use my work addy ... bcallahan@bpfd1.org
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information