Forum Member

Default Fire Investigation for DoD (Military) Installations/Bases

This question is just being directed at other fire personnel who work at U.S military installations (Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard) conus and around the world:

As for fire investigation on your installations, who or what agency conducts the investigations? Is it CID, OSI, the fire department, or do you bring in an outside agency?

What is the scope of the investigations? C & O only, or do you go more in depth? If C & O only, do you then turn in over to another agency if evidence found suggests incendiary in nature?

I know on some installations, the fire department conducts their own investigation. In some regards the trend appears to be heading in that direction, but I'm trying to get a more accurate number of those that do Vs. those that don't.

Forum Member

You might post it under federal a few threads down

Use to be special investigators did the investigation and case if it was arson

Forum Member

When I worked at Aberdeen Proving Ground, if the base FM thought anything suspicious, he would immediately bring in the Harford County and/or the Maryland State FM's Office.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    When I worked at Aberdeen Proving Ground, if the base FM thought anything suspicious, he would immediately bring in the Harford County and/or the Maryland State FM's Office.
    When did you work at APG?

Anyways, at the Air Force bases I was at, the FD always had a strong relationship with the local FD. Lots of interaction, and investigations would be assisted by the local FM. Of course, there were rarely fires.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    When did you work at APG?.
    1997-2005. Most of my time at the Edgewood Area Trucking Company.

MembersZone Subscriber

1997-2005. Most of my time at the Edgewood Area Trucking Company.
    We had a support truck donated to our department from a department in NJ, the fine folks at APG let us drive down there, and loaded it on a flatbed for us the next day. We parked it behind the main fire station, and they took care of it while we drove back to MO.

We really appreciated the help!

My parents used to live (and I did for a short period of time) there in the middle of Elk Neck State Park.

Forum Member

We had a support truck donated to our department from a department in NJ, the fine folks at APG let us drive down there, and loaded it on a flatbed for us the next day. We parked it behind the main fire station, and they took care of it while we drove back to MO.

We really appreciated the help!

My parents used to live (and I did for a short period of time) there in the middle of Elk Neck State Park.
    Ahhh Main Station- also known as the "Garage Mahal." When was this??? I was known as a union troublemaker so they thought they were punishing me by sending me to Edgewood. I let them think that I hated running constantly first in truck company to working fires with the vollies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ahhh Main Station- also known as the "Garage Mahal." When was this??? I was known as a union troublemaker so they thought they were punishing me by sending me to Edgewood. I let them think that I hated running constantly first in truck company to working fires with the vollies.

I am thinking 2002 maybe 2004. My memory gets worse every day.

Such a punishment!

Forum Member

I am thinking 2002 maybe 2004. My memory gets worse every day.

Such a punishment!
    How did you get wrapped up with parking it and loading it at APG? Kinda outta the way to main routes to Mo. Wouldnt it have been easier to load at the NJ Dept???

MembersZone Subscriber

How did you get wrapped up with parking it and loading it at APG? Kinda outta the way to main routes to Mo. Wouldnt it have been easier to load at the NJ Dept???
    It was a flatbed that was carrying it - so it needed a ramp. We also had a pickup to make at one of the Harford county stations so it just clicked. Turns out they had to build a ramp up with railroad ties. I wanted someplace safe, the rig was crammed with donations.

My father is buried in Northeast, so I try to go by and visit him when I can, so it all just seemed to work.

Just got to thinking it was probably in 2000

Forum Member

It was a flatbed that was carrying it - so it needed a ramp. We also had a pickup to make at one of the Harford county stations so it just clicked. Turns out they had to build a ramp up with railroad ties. I wanted someplace safe, the rig was crammed with donations.

My father is buried in Northeast, so I try to go by and visit him when I can, so it all just seemed to work.

Just got to thinking it was probably in 2000
    2000.....Now that you mention it, this would have been during one of my stints at the main station, and I do vaguely remember coming back from a vacation and someone asking me if I knew where so-and-so NJ was, and there was a rig parked out back and yadda yadda yadda...............

Thread Information