Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Forum Member pasobuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loverly upstate NY
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    mdcook - TRUST ME - we have been trying to wrack our brains to figure out how to send the rain down South/West!!!!!

    Got the automated call at 6am today that school is closed - I'm about to callto find out what roads are still open so I can get down to Cobleskill and the ROC/Staging.

    The flooding levels are expected to top the 2006 floods - if they haven't already. Watching the weather radar loop right now too - when will this d a m n e d rain STOP!!!!!!!!!

    On my free time been working on a case of 22 horses missing from the initial hurricane - unfortunately the search is turning (turned) into a recovery at this time.....due to the magnitude of hte flood, speed of water etc on the Schoharie creek - can't see how anything survived. Very, very sad situation....

    Well - time for some coffee, get the little one up and head out in the rain for work!


  2. #22
    Forum Member firemoose827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    mdcook - TRUST ME - we have been trying to wrack our brains to figure out how to send the rain down South/West!!!!!

    Got the automated call at 6am today that school is closed - I'm about to callto find out what roads are still open so I can get down to Cobleskill and the ROC/Staging.

    The flooding levels are expected to top the 2006 floods - if they haven't already. Watching the weather radar loop right now too - when will this d a m n e d rain STOP!!!!!!!!!

    On my free time been working on a case of 22 horses missing from the initial hurricane - unfortunately the search is turning (turned) into a recovery at this time.....due to the magnitude of hte flood, speed of water etc on the Schoharie creek - can't see how anything survived. Very, very sad situation....

    Well - time for some coffee, get the little one up and head out in the rain for work!
    Passobuff, Schoharie County is a mess! I was with the FD all day yesterday pumping out houses and setting up a shelter. Im at work today but worried about my family, if your in the area maybe you could check on them for me? I would appreciate it. Ive been in emergency mode for 3 weeks now and running on a little over 4 hours of sleep a night...this rain needs to stop or my county will be the Schoharie Lake. Too many people have lost their homes and more flooding expected today.
    Thanks to all of you guys that came down or are currently in my county assisting, your help has been greatly appreciated by those of us that are going 24/7. Stay safe and stop by my department if you can.
    "Amatuers train until they get it right, professionals train until they cant get it wrong."

    Brian Jones, aka "Moose"
    Captain, Carlisle Fire Department

  3. #23
    Forum Member Lewiston2FF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Niagara Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firemoose827 View Post
    Passobuff, Schoharie County is a mess! I was with the FD all day yesterday pumping out houses and setting up a shelter. Im at work today but worried about my family, if your in the area maybe you could check on them for me? I would appreciate it. Ive been in emergency mode for 3 weeks now and running on a little over 4 hours of sleep a night...this rain needs to stop or my county will be the Schoharie Lake. Too many people have lost their homes and more flooding expected today.
    Thanks to all of you guys that came down or are currently in my county assisting, your help has been greatly appreciated by those of us that are going 24/7. Stay safe and stop by my department if you can.
    Got a request for additional SEFU, Type 1 Engines and Tankers to Schoharie County last night. This morning a request for a Ladder truck to go to Broome County. I am still trying to get the chief to agree to send a SEFU. Not working out too well though. I'll keep trying.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

  4. #24
    Forum Member mdcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Finger Lakes Region, NY
    Posts
    204

    Post Broome County's turn now

    Our county's all-call just went out. OFPC is looking for type I engines, tankers, and SEFU's to go to Broome County. Also, as I had been forwarned, my haz mat team will be sending some of our people to assist with decon.
    Is it just me or does it seem to everyone else that this is a very unusual year for natural disasters?
    "Your spill is our thrill."

  5. #25
    Forum Member pasobuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loverly upstate NY
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    md - no, it HAS been very unusual.....system after system on top of system - not letting anything dry off.....

    Found out today an old friend of mine was in Schoharie the first week and NEVER CALLED! Think next time I see him I'll have to kick his butt....oh wait - he carries a gun lol.....

    Anywho.....got my assignment for Saturday night.....another 12 hr shift in Cobleskill....husband will be at the EOC so we will see how that goes lol.....

    Things are winding down in Schoharie County - more resources are being focused on Broome and Tioga now....saw some pictures on lline of structure fires surrounded by water...heard through the grapevine that one FF crew was told they'd be taken to the fire house in a BOAT.....

    Large landslide on I88 is messing with things too..not sure how long it will take to get that cleaned up and stabilized.....

    My County at least has calmed down - still getting calls for cellar pump outs, but those seem to be old hat now....PLUS we didn't lose any firehouses to the floods so the equipment and personnel are there.....

  6. #26
    Forum Member pasobuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loverly upstate NY
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    @Brian - I was busy yesterday in Cobleskill - first at the FD then back to the fairgrounds.....hope your family is ok- flooding wasn't bad up this way - back rd from Cobleskill to me was fine, even crossing over 20....so which desk do you work? So I can call and but you when I'm tired! lol

  7. #27
    Forum Member firemoose827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    @Brian - I was busy yesterday in Cobleskill - first at the FD then back to the fairgrounds.....hope your family is ok- flooding wasn't bad up this way - back rd from Cobleskill to me was fine, even crossing over 20....so which desk do you work? So I can call and but you when I'm tired! lol
    Im in the OPWDD desk in the bunker tonight and sunday night 12a-8a. First time in the SEMO EOC bunker and its a nice set up. Things are calming down here but getting hairy in Broome county, I have friends and co-workers there now trying to evacuate people.
    Stay safe and talk to you soon.
    If you are in the county Saturday night let me know, we will bring you and your hubby some food or whatever you guys need.
    "Amatuers train until they get it right, professionals train until they cant get it wrong."

    Brian Jones, aka "Moose"
    Captain, Carlisle Fire Department

  8. #28
    Forum Member pasobuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loverly upstate NY
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    well - some good news is Cobleskill ICP demob'd Sat day - so no ot shift overnight.....

    If you saw the goofy-looking guy at the fire desk the last 2 nights - that is my other half lol.....

    Still pretty busy in Broome and Tioga Counties.....hoping hte possible t-storms stay away the next few days to let them all start to dry off!

  9. #29
    Forum Member mdcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Finger Lakes Region, NY
    Posts
    204

    Post Finally got a description

    I finally found a description of what constitutes a SEFU. It was in the Apparatus Operator-Pump Student Manual.

    2-3 FF's with full PPE and SCBA w/spare bottle
    4WD fire department owned vehicle
    Portable pump w/suction hose and strainer
    200 ft of discharge hose with fittings
    Portable generator w/adapters and lights
    Chain saw and shovels
    Fuel for portable equipment
    Carbon Monoxide gas detector meter
    Provisions for the firefighters for 48 hours of deployment
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts