Forum Member

Question What's a C-fu? SeaFu?

Okay, this one has me stumped. In response to Hurricane Irene, the State Mutual Aid plan was activated and one of the things being asked for from the uneffected counties are "C-fu's" or is it "Sea Fu". This is a term or acronym I have never heard of. What does it mean? I can understand why the OFPC was asking for Type 1 engines and crews, but does a C-fu have some thing to do with cellar and flooding? I would appreciate some helpful answers.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdcook View Post
    Okay, this one has me stumped. In response to Hurricane Irene, the State Mutual Aid plan was activated and one of the things being asked for from the uneffected counties are "C-fu's" or is it "Sea Fu". This is a term or acronym I have never heard of. What does it mean? I can understand why the OFPC was asking for Type 1 engines and crews, but does a C-fu have some thing to do with cellar and flooding? I would appreciate some helpful answers.
    SEFU is a Storm Emergency Fire Unit. Basically a 4WD vehicle with a pump, generator and tools for going to areas that have suffered severe weather and will be in need of assistance. I believe you can look up the requirements of a SEFU on either OFPCs website or SEMOs website.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Post Thank you

Oh, okay. That's a new one on me. Thanks.

Back In Black

Wow, that is a new one for me too.

Do they get typed?

Type II SEFU?

I hear you get an egg roll with one.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I laugh when I hear it too. I think of a lemur with long whiskers. LOL. But I've been hearing the term quite a bit recently. Actually since the October surprise storm we had where we got a bunch of wet heavy snow in mid october that shut down the area because trees were coming down left and right. Its basically a storm relief unit. I know when the requests go out from the state they give the requirements to be a SEFU. I am not sure they type and kind the unit its either on or it isnt. I actually think its the state and not FEMA that came up with the term.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Wow, that is a new one for me too.

Do they get typed?

Type II SEFU?

I hear you get an egg roll with one.
    And everyone knows that raw SEFU is called a SUSHI.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

and in my world - this is a 'common' term.....go figure......

and yes, I DO prefer my SEFU as Sushi!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    and in my world - this is a 'common' term.....go figure......

and yes, I DO prefer my SEFU as Sushi!!!!!
    Paso,
    How far off was I on the description? I know we have gotten requests for them in the past but can only remember some of the requirements to be qualified as a SEFU.
    Hope you're holding tight out there. Just got a request for engine and tanker crews to head east.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2FF View Post
    Paso,
    How far off was I on the description? I know we have gotten requests for them in the past but can only remember some of the requirements to be qualified as a SEFU.
    Hope you're holding tight out there. Just got a request for engine and tanker crews to head east.
    Where East are they heading? Husband has been in Delaware County the past 3 days....

oh gosh...my reference material is out in the car - should probably take a look at it! ...been a while since I personally have had to spec one out..... my husband could probably tell me right off the bat.....
    Last edited by pasobuff; 09-01-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Forum Member

I'm not sure. I know the units from Erie County were staged at SUNY Cobleskill. Not sure what the tasking will be for the next deployment. I think Fire protection for departments that have been wiped out.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2FF View Post
    I'm not sure. I know the units from Erie County were staged at SUNY Cobleskill. Not sure what the tasking will be for the next deployment. I think Fire protection for departments that have been wiped out.
    Ok - that is about 20 minutes from me (if all roads are intact)....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Greene County

We have a crew in Greene County covering the Windham FD currently.
    Captain/EMT-P

Forum Member

My husband told me today he had units) from Buffalo in Delaware County.....he is still down there (started @7am today) and is hoping to be home around 10pm. I'm waiting to hear if I am to get called in to anywhere this weekend.....drove through Rotterdam Junction today and it was heartbreaking to see all the damage.....

Forum Member

Wayne County sent 7 units to Orange County and 5 to Rockland as well as one or two more to Greene. Most are back now as they usually only deploy for 72 hours, we have had a request for type 1 engines on stand by for Suffolk County.

Forum Member

Post Still requesting help

On Wednesday morning, August 31, our county all-call tones went out and the request was for SEFU's and Type 1 engines with full SCBA crews. No time of deployment was given. I have read that several counties here in the Finger Lakes have sent rope, water rescue, haz mat and EMS units to assist other counties. Now that the east-bound Thruway is more open, getting there should be a bit easier.

Forum Member

This is going to be a long-time operation....yesterday on the way home I drove through Rotterdam Junction - where there are still flood waters on the South side of the village...houses still under water, people starting to clean up - grapple trucks working to clear debris.....heartbreaking....the gas station I used to stop at has been condemned (heard that on the radio this morning).....

Barns are starting to catch fire as the hay stored in them is drying and heating up.....one local farm lost 22 horses in the flash flood down in the Schoharie area.....who knows where they ended up....

The only 'good' thing about this is the low number of lives lost (6-7 I think?).....it could have been so much worse.....

Forum Member

I was in the last day of Confined Space Tech class at the Erie County Training Center when the crews your husband saw were assembling and preparing to depart. That was sunday. The deployed Niagara County units I believe are headed out today. Not completely sure about that though. I have a friend in Rotterdam and she just got her power back. It sounds like a lot of damage. I can imagine the barn fires are going to be the worst because there will be so many of them. Part of me wonders if that is the reason behind the request for engines and tankers.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

That and hte Fleischmans' Fire Department lost both its' engine AND tanker - is down to a brush truck from what I heard.....PLUS - water systems are compromised, resources are being used 24/7 - National Guard is doing overnight fire protection in some communities.....(according ot scanner traffic).....

I just got my weekend asignment - will be working the Fire desk for 4 nights....now trying to figure out my time sheet! Looks like 90+ hours for the week.....

Forum Member

That and hte Fleischmans' Fire Department lost both its' engine AND tanker - is down to a brush truck from what I heard.....PLUS - water systems are compromised, resources are being used 24/7 - National Guard is doing overnight fire protection in some communities.....(according ot scanner traffic).....

I just got my weekend asignment - will be working the Fire desk for 4 nights....now trying to figure out my time sheet! Looks like 90+ hours for the week.....
    I should've remembered about the water system issue too. Had flooding around here that tankers from acrossed the area were requested to assist with that issue. I know Keene lost their station, not too sure about their apparatus. It looks like its going to be a lot of work for a lot of people for some time to come. Fortunately the state of emergency has been declared so there is help paying for all of the work.
    Stay safe down there Paso, maybe I will be able to be deployed in the next round if it comes.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

Post More water, ugh

It is now Wednesday Sept. 7 and we have more rain. There is a flash flood warning posted for most of the eastern Finger Lakes area until Thursday morning.
    My county's haz mat team sent some people as part of a regional decon team this past week end to the Mohawk Valley/Northern Catskill region. We have already been advised for another possible deployment this week end to either the same area or possibly toward Binghamton.
    The latest word from OFPC is that they are still looking for Type 1 engines, Tankers, and SEFU's.
    Is there any way we could send this water to Texas? They really need it.

Forum Member

mdcook - TRUST ME - we have been trying to wrack our brains to figure out how to send the rain down South/West!!!!!

Got the automated call at 6am today that school is closed - I'm about to callto find out what roads are still open so I can get down to Cobleskill and the ROC/Staging.

The flooding levels are expected to top the 2006 floods - if they haven't already. Watching the weather radar loop right now too - when will this d a m n e d rain STOP!!!!!!!!!

On my free time been working on a case of 22 horses missing from the initial hurricane - unfortunately the search is turning (turned) into a recovery at this time.....due to the magnitude of hte flood, speed of water etc on the Schoharie creek - can't see how anything survived. Very, very sad situation....

Well - time for some coffee, get the little one up and head out in the rain for work!

Forum Member

mdcook - TRUST ME - we have been trying to wrack our brains to figure out how to send the rain down South/West!!!!!

Got the automated call at 6am today that school is closed - I'm about to callto find out what roads are still open so I can get down to Cobleskill and the ROC/Staging.

The flooding levels are expected to top the 2006 floods - if they haven't already. Watching the weather radar loop right now too - when will this d a m n e d rain STOP!!!!!!!!!

On my free time been working on a case of 22 horses missing from the initial hurricane - unfortunately the search is turning (turned) into a recovery at this time.....due to the magnitude of hte flood, speed of water etc on the Schoharie creek - can't see how anything survived. Very, very sad situation....

Well - time for some coffee, get the little one up and head out in the rain for work!
    Passobuff, Schoharie County is a mess! I was with the FD all day yesterday pumping out houses and setting up a shelter. Im at work today but worried about my family, if your in the area maybe you could check on them for me? I would appreciate it. Ive been in emergency mode for 3 weeks now and running on a little over 4 hours of sleep a night...this rain needs to stop or my county will be the Schoharie Lake. Too many people have lost their homes and more flooding expected today.
    Thanks to all of you guys that came down or are currently in my county assisting, your help has been greatly appreciated by those of us that are going 24/7. Stay safe and stop by my department if you can.
    "Amatuers train until they get it right, professionals train until they cant get it wrong."

Brian Jones, aka "Moose"
    Captain, Carlisle Fire Department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemoose827 View Post
    Passobuff, Schoharie County is a mess! I was with the FD all day yesterday pumping out houses and setting up a shelter. Im at work today but worried about my family, if your in the area maybe you could check on them for me? I would appreciate it. Ive been in emergency mode for 3 weeks now and running on a little over 4 hours of sleep a night...this rain needs to stop or my county will be the Schoharie Lake. Too many people have lost their homes and more flooding expected today.
    Thanks to all of you guys that came down or are currently in my county assisting, your help has been greatly appreciated by those of us that are going 24/7. Stay safe and stop by my department if you can.
    Got a request for additional SEFU, Type 1 Engines and Tankers to Schoharie County last night. This morning a request for a Ladder truck to go to Broome County. I am still trying to get the chief to agree to send a SEFU. Not working out too well though. I'll keep trying.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

Post Broome County's turn now

Our county's all-call just went out. OFPC is looking for type I engines, tankers, and SEFU's to go to Broome County. Also, as I had been forwarned, my haz mat team will be sending some of our people to assist with decon.
    Is it just me or does it seem to everyone else that this is a very unusual year for natural disasters?

Forum Member

md - no, it HAS been very unusual.....system after system on top of system - not letting anything dry off.....

Found out today an old friend of mine was in Schoharie the first week and NEVER CALLED! Think next time I see him I'll have to kick his butt....oh wait - he carries a gun lol.....

Anywho.....got my assignment for Saturday night.....another 12 hr shift in Cobleskill....husband will be at the EOC so we will see how that goes lol.....

Things are winding down in Schoharie County - more resources are being focused on Broome and Tioga now....saw some pictures on lline of structure fires surrounded by water...heard through the grapevine that one FF crew was told they'd be taken to the fire house in a BOAT.....

Large landslide on I88 is messing with things too..not sure how long it will take to get that cleaned up and stabilized.....

My County at least has calmed down - still getting calls for cellar pump outs, but those seem to be old hat now....PLUS we didn't lose any firehouses to the floods so the equipment and personnel are there.....

Thread Information