Thread: Osceola Hiring

Forum Member

Thanks firemedic80, definitely good info. to have.

Forum Member

My buddy and I did.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic80 View Post
    To those of you worried about the EVOC, don't be discouraged if you don't have it. Our dept. puts you through our own driving course as part of orientation regardless of what cert you have.

I will tell you, STUDY hard for this exam. When I took it, it wasn't easy and with the competition, they will be looking for those who score high obviously. There were a lot of fire extinguisher, foam, fire behavior, building construction and hose/hose appliance questions. The physical agility test was basic, but don't underestimate it. When I took it, it was as follows:

Station 1: EMS scenario- Based on your level of certification.
    Station 2: PROPERLY DON your gear.
    Station 3: Basic search and rescue- pull a dummy out of a simulated apartment maze.
    Station 4: Hose Pull- pull a charged line 100ft and knock down 3 cones.
    Station 5: Ladder Carry- Properly carry a ladder and make sure you are VERBAL!
    Station 6: Ladder Raise- 24ft ext. ladder against a building and raise/lower it PROPERLY.

Yes it is TIMED.

I think there was one other one...I don't recall though.

My interview consisted of a 5 officer panel with a series of scenario questions: I will tell you some of them are tricky so prepare yourself. I don't think I ever sweat so much in my life...(I asked to take my coat off lol)

I am going to tell you that this is a great department. We are growing. Whenever the economy turns around, there are plans to expand and build new stations...which means promotions and more opportunities. Whatever you heard about layoffs, thats EVERY dept. Our Chief has said he does not want to hire just so he can turn around and lay off. Plus its very expensive to hire. One firefighter with all training and gear costs the county around I believe it was said 70K each. We have a great Union leadership and I wish you all the best of luck. The Orientation will be challenging. Its basically like going through a dept. version of standards. It is approx. 9-10 weeks M-F 8am-6pm. We have some great trainers with a ton of experience. Our Fire Chief if one of the nicest guys I have ever met...you will def. appreciate him.

Good Luck to ALL!!
    It's the typical CFFA new hire skills test, the portion you were missing was the highrise pack carry to the upper floor and bring back down.

Forum Member

So is the physical part at CFFA?? Cause the letter I got says were testing in Kissimmee...

Floater for life!!

The fire academy has a satellite campus on site at TECO (Tech Ed Center of Osceola) They do FF1 & EMT there...so it sounds like you may be taking you test at that campus...its off of Simpson Rd

Floater for life!!

To those interested the tentative start date is Oct 17th

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by e10pvmt View Post
    To those interested the tentative start date is Oct 17th
    Good to know they're not going to drag out the process longer than needed. Has HR given out an exact number they're hiring? I know you said 14-17.

Floater for life!!

union said 18

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Where does the county do their orientation... the 9 or so week long process for new hires you mentioned earlier?

Not trying to be picky, heck of a drive for me to Osceola Co. though. According to google maps, I'm about 30 miles from the closest firehouse, I might be spending more money on gasoline driving to a monday-friday orientation then I would be earning.

...I guess I got too used to walking less than a mile to work...

Also, engine 3 was next door to me, engine 10 was 1 mile, engine 53 was less than a mile, and engine 11 was a block more than a mile. Thats out the door now. Time to get a 50cc scooter........ checking craigslist!
    Orientation is all over the county. When I went through, it started as the first week at Fire HQ doing paperwork with HR and getting all your gear fitting etc, then you go pick up your training gear for the orientation.

After week 1 we went to CFFA for I believe it was the whole week and you will be going there a LOT.

At CFFA expect to do Survival, Live Burns, Mazes for search and rescue, hose evolutions etc. I expect you to probably be there 60-70% of the time.

The other stuff you will do will be scattered all over the county.

Your wildfire training will more than likely be out on the east side of the county.

You will be doing hose drills down at Stepping Stone which is in Poinciana.

Extrication is done at a wreck yard in Campbell City.

You will be required to climb one of our Ladder Trucks or Tower 72 which I did the second week. This is to test your fear of heights and to ready yourself for possibly having to climb it in a fire ground situation.

There is PT every morning and it depends who is selected as your primary instructor as to what that might consist of.

IF Landing Zone training is still at Station 57, some of you might be in for a long drive...but its only one day. 57 is in Kenansville which is about 45 miles or so from Kissimmee. Its our furthest Southeast Station.

As for you saying its a long drive to Osceola bro...its a long drive for a lot of us. I am about a half hour from the closest station and there are guys who live 2-3 hours away from the closest station to them so if you want this bad enough, you will do this and the drive will become second nature. As you know there are not a lot of options out there right now, so either suck it up or leave the opportunity to someone who really wants it. Not to sound like an *****, but it is what it is and anyone else I am sure would tell you the same.

Good Luck, hope this helps...

Forum Member

I have also heard that the written test will be a joint test by our training dept. and CFFA given at TECO. The PAT will be done at CFFA Orlando because they need the drill tower and maze. This is through the grapevine. All subject to change as always lol.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whats the rumors with you guys and going towards Orlando style SOPs, black bunker gear etc? any truth to that?

MembersZone Subscriber

The letter I got says the written test is at the Osceola County Extension Office, 1921 Kissimmee Valley Lane....

Not the TECO everyone keeps saying.

Also, I know a few guys that work there and they have also heard chiefs talking about how this new recruit class should be starting mid october and all recruits will receive training in a bunch of specialized ops. so that you'll be able to work on any company in the county.

Thats very appealing to me, anyone know would this training all be state/nationally certified or is it Osceola Co specific where you don't get certs for it?

And to the guy replying to my long drive comment, I was making LIGHT of the situation, I guess you missed that. I know a lot of guys are driving many miles to work every third day for shift. Driving 30-45 miles twice a day 5 days a week is a little different. I never said I wouldn't do it, or complain. I was just saying I'm gonna have to get a scooter for that trip. I personally don't feel like spending half my pay on gasoline. Those scoots get like 85 miles/gallon compared to my jeep at 10-15 highway.

And just out of curiosity.... why do so many people make such a big deal out of black turnouts? I know people personally who's only reason for wanting to work for Orlando is how "cool" they look, and how "cool" their trucks are painted. I bet they don't put brand new hires through Special Ops training right away. Thats more my ballgame!

Well, to me, it is just a "plus" to see a department going towards a more tradional approach. This is just an example of it in my opinion. It's the little things ANYTHING to make you feel somewhat like a fireman when you are running those 12 abdominal pain calls a shift!! ....thats a different topic all together though...

I'd wear PINK BUNKER GEAR if I worked for Orlando, just as long as I was getting that ORLANDO PAYCHECK!!!

Floater for life!!

The SOPs are out and are being used. I have heard they are similar to Orlando since our new Deputy Chief retired from Orlando before coming over. They are aggressive and finally utilize truck operations. The bunker gear is still with the county attorneys office. I never cared either way on the gear.....however after researching it blakc doesn't occur naturally in nature and the black gear in contrast with the yellow reflector actually stands out better. Heat is negligible since there are so many layers your hot either way. Again i know there was talk about the special ops training being part of orientation but nothing definitive. And agian i dont think it should be....thosw with experience will love it but those who have no experience have enough to learn in there first year....and if it is offered (even if you take it through the county after orientation) it is a state recognized class for operations level....state only recognizes certain tech level training centers....driving is no big deal....CFFA is central and has the props necessary...if you do go to TECO its right off the Turnpike.....the west and cntral battalions are close to major highways...the east side gets rural and when you think you have gone too far....keep going....as with any fire dept we are only passing on what we are told to try and give you all a heads up....good luck to you all

Floater for life!!

oh and as for driving....i live in Brandon just outside Tampa....and i am tired of the drive....movin next year though

Forum Member

e10......i'm going through medic school at the moment and hypothetically if I were to get hired with Osceola in regards to their orientation, will they be willing to work with my class and clinical schedules. I'm not trying to look for special treatment but i'm sure anyone that has gone through medic can tell you that it's very tedious. Is it worth for me to even go through the process at this time? Thx.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    Well, to me, it is just a "plus" to see a department going towards a more tradional approach. This is just an example of it in my opinion. It's the little things ANYTHING to make you feel somewhat like a fireman when you are running those 12 abdominal pain calls a shift!! ....thats a different topic all together though...

I'd wear PINK BUNKER GEAR if I worked for Orlando, just as long as I was getting that ORLANDO PAYCHECK!!!
    Pink bunker gear, you may be onto something! All new hires should wear pink gear haha..

Also, OFD does put you through most operations level special ops training under orientation, only since it will be enough to bail you out of whatever situation you get yourself into. But as far as teching out...that's on your own.

PPH
    Forum Member

Does anyone know if this test is a notoriously difficult test like the one for Orlando? Its been a while since I've had to do a FF/EMS test and I know my EMS knowledge is a bit rusty. Just wondering what I'm in for is all.

PPH
    Forum Member

I'll be there on the 23rd at the 9am test. I know there is at least one more in the afternoon on the 23rd.

Forum Member

No idea about the difficulty. Orlando isn't so much "hard" as it is "obscure". The questions are on material we've all learned, but its some little specific tidbit and the answers are all so similar.

I imagine this will be basic Fire/EMS test.

Good luck to everyone taking the test. I'm there tomorrow, was anyone scheduled for any other day than the 23rd?
    Couldn't agree more Fuss, the OFD test is not "hard". The wording of the questions are to get you to think, like double negatives and such, when you have such a large base of people taking the test, you have to weed out those who do not pay attention to details. Some may call it trickery but I think if you know your stuff you will do just fine on it. IMO, the OFD written test is one of the hardest I have come across. But I'm sure there are more difficult entrance exams.

Not sure how hard the Osceola test is, but I'm sure it's just a typical fire/ems as well, probably lots of numbers on the ems side, and possibly gallonage type numbers on the fire size.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by PPH View Post
    I'll be there on the 23rd at the 9am test. I know there is at least one more in the afternoon on the 23rd.
    I'll be at the 1230 one.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quick question. The paper said to bring a copy of our driving record. What do they want? 3 years, 7? Complete?? They don't specify so should I just go for the smallest?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc the Shark View Post
    Quick question. The paper said to bring a copy of our driving record. What do they want? 3 years, 7? Complete?? They don't specify so should I just go for the smallest?
    Can't go wrong with a "Complete".

Forum Member

I hear that but I have a few tickets from about 5-6 years ago. I was just thinking that my 3 year record would look better

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc the Shark View Post
    I hear that but I have a few tickets from about 5-6 years ago. I was just thinking that my 3 year record would look better
    Either way they'll find out, I'd be upfront about it.
    Last edited by SVTxDUDE; 09-22-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Floater for life!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie40720007 View Post
    e10......i'm going through medic school at the moment and hypothetically if I were to get hired with Osceola in regards to their orientation, will they be willing to work with my class and clinical schedules. I'm not trying to look for special treatment but i'm sure anyone that has gone through medic can tell you that it's very tedious. Is it worth for me to even go through the process at this time? Thx.
    If you have a chance of getting a job its always worth a try....especially in this job climate....as for working around your schedule i highly doubt it....how far are you from being done....when i was hired 5 years ago we had a guy in medic school. He was able to transfer to evenings and worked around it....it was difficult but he did it....there is no real way to work around your school schedule since the orientation is a m-f 8-whenever gig

Thread Information