Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Osceola Hiring

Quote Originally Posted by SVTxDUDE View Post
    Received a response back with just "Thank you" but on the site it still shows it as "not selected". Guess I'll give it a day.
    Hmm. Mine was updated fairly soon, but like Fuss said, she could just be at home. Hope ya get in dude.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Was it Marleen Nogueros or something like that who emailed you? If so, and you sent her an email confirming your certs, I'd definitely re-email her....

It could be that she was done for the day and went home before updating the system. I did all this early, who knows what a secretary schedule is like when you're used to working 10s and 14s, or 24/48s. Bet she goes home at 4.

So yea, give it a day.
    Yeah, Marleen Nogueros. Hopefully tomorrow it'll update.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Hmm. Mine was updated fairly soon, but like Fuss said, she could just be at home. Hope ya get in dude.
    Thanks man.

Forum Member

back in too!

Forum Member

Ok, so now were all back in for now...now what

Forum Member

Sweet, back in. I guess now is when all the medics get called. lol

Forum Member

Lol! Yep probably right!

Forum Member

Received a letter in the mail today to test on the 23rd. Anyone else get one?

Floater for life!!

email we recieved to day says:

383 apps received, narrowed to 303 and offered to test the 23rd at CFFA. the top 50 will take PAT @ CFFA Oct 1st & 2nd. Top 20 will get interviews the 6th & 7th of Oct. It says HR is dealing with the interviews. Not sure if they are conducting them or picking dept personnel to be on the panel

Quote Originally Posted by SVTxDUDE View Post
    Received a letter in the mail today to test on the 23rd. Anyone else get one?
    See ya there.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

To those of you worried about the EVOC, don't be discouraged if you don't have it. Our dept. puts you through our own driving course as part of orientation regardless of what cert you have.

I will tell you, STUDY hard for this exam. When I took it, it wasn't easy and with the competition, they will be looking for those who score high obviously. There were a lot of fire extinguisher, foam, fire behavior, building construction and hose/hose appliance questions. The physical agility test was basic, but don't underestimate it. When I took it, it was as follows:

Station 1: EMS scenario- Based on your level of certification.
    Station 2: PROPERLY DON your gear.
    Station 3: Basic search and rescue- pull a dummy out of a simulated apartment maze.
    Station 4: Hose Pull- pull a charged line 100ft and knock down 3 cones.
    Station 5: Ladder Carry- Properly carry a ladder and make sure you are VERBAL!
    Station 6: Ladder Raise- 24ft ext. ladder against a building and raise/lower it PROPERLY.

Yes it is TIMED.

I think there was one other one...I don't recall though.

My interview consisted of a 5 officer panel with a series of scenario questions: I will tell you some of them are tricky so prepare yourself. I don't think I ever sweat so much in my life...(I asked to take my coat off lol)

I am going to tell you that this is a great department. We are growing. Whenever the economy turns around, there are plans to expand and build new stations...which means promotions and more opportunities. Whatever you heard about layoffs, thats EVERY dept. Our Chief has said he does not want to hire just so he can turn around and lay off. Plus its very expensive to hire. One firefighter with all training and gear costs the county around I believe it was said 70K each. We have a great Union leadership and I wish you all the best of luck. The Orientation will be challenging. Its basically like going through a dept. version of standards. It is approx. 9-10 weeks M-F 8am-6pm. We have some great trainers with a ton of experience. Our Fire Chief if one of the nicest guys I have ever met...you will def. appreciate him.

Good Luck to ALL!!
    Last edited by firemedic80; 09-15-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks firemedic80, definitely good info. to have.

Forum Member

My buddy and I did.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic80 View Post
    To those of you worried about the EVOC, don't be discouraged if you don't have it. Our dept. puts you through our own driving course as part of orientation regardless of what cert you have.

I will tell you, STUDY hard for this exam. When I took it, it wasn't easy and with the competition, they will be looking for those who score high obviously. There were a lot of fire extinguisher, foam, fire behavior, building construction and hose/hose appliance questions. The physical agility test was basic, but don't underestimate it. When I took it, it was as follows:

Station 1: EMS scenario- Based on your level of certification.
    Station 2: PROPERLY DON your gear.
    Station 3: Basic search and rescue- pull a dummy out of a simulated apartment maze.
    Station 4: Hose Pull- pull a charged line 100ft and knock down 3 cones.
    Station 5: Ladder Carry- Properly carry a ladder and make sure you are VERBAL!
    Station 6: Ladder Raise- 24ft ext. ladder against a building and raise/lower it PROPERLY.

Yes it is TIMED.

I think there was one other one...I don't recall though.

My interview consisted of a 5 officer panel with a series of scenario questions: I will tell you some of them are tricky so prepare yourself. I don't think I ever sweat so much in my life...(I asked to take my coat off lol)

I am going to tell you that this is a great department. We are growing. Whenever the economy turns around, there are plans to expand and build new stations...which means promotions and more opportunities. Whatever you heard about layoffs, thats EVERY dept. Our Chief has said he does not want to hire just so he can turn around and lay off. Plus its very expensive to hire. One firefighter with all training and gear costs the county around I believe it was said 70K each. We have a great Union leadership and I wish you all the best of luck. The Orientation will be challenging. Its basically like going through a dept. version of standards. It is approx. 9-10 weeks M-F 8am-6pm. We have some great trainers with a ton of experience. Our Fire Chief if one of the nicest guys I have ever met...you will def. appreciate him.

Good Luck to ALL!!
    It's the typical CFFA new hire skills test, the portion you were missing was the highrise pack carry to the upper floor and bring back down.

Forum Member

So is the physical part at CFFA?? Cause the letter I got says were testing in Kissimmee...

Floater for life!!

The fire academy has a satellite campus on site at TECO (Tech Ed Center of Osceola) They do FF1 & EMT there...so it sounds like you may be taking you test at that campus...its off of Simpson Rd

Floater for life!!

To those interested the tentative start date is Oct 17th

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by e10pvmt View Post
    To those interested the tentative start date is Oct 17th
    Good to know they're not going to drag out the process longer than needed. Has HR given out an exact number they're hiring? I know you said 14-17.

Floater for life!!

union said 18

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Where does the county do their orientation... the 9 or so week long process for new hires you mentioned earlier?

Not trying to be picky, heck of a drive for me to Osceola Co. though. According to google maps, I'm about 30 miles from the closest firehouse, I might be spending more money on gasoline driving to a monday-friday orientation then I would be earning.

...I guess I got too used to walking less than a mile to work...

Also, engine 3 was next door to me, engine 10 was 1 mile, engine 53 was less than a mile, and engine 11 was a block more than a mile. Thats out the door now. Time to get a 50cc scooter........ checking craigslist!
    Orientation is all over the county. When I went through, it started as the first week at Fire HQ doing paperwork with HR and getting all your gear fitting etc, then you go pick up your training gear for the orientation.

After week 1 we went to CFFA for I believe it was the whole week and you will be going there a LOT.

At CFFA expect to do Survival, Live Burns, Mazes for search and rescue, hose evolutions etc. I expect you to probably be there 60-70% of the time.

The other stuff you will do will be scattered all over the county.

Your wildfire training will more than likely be out on the east side of the county.

You will be doing hose drills down at Stepping Stone which is in Poinciana.

Extrication is done at a wreck yard in Campbell City.

You will be required to climb one of our Ladder Trucks or Tower 72 which I did the second week. This is to test your fear of heights and to ready yourself for possibly having to climb it in a fire ground situation.

There is PT every morning and it depends who is selected as your primary instructor as to what that might consist of.

IF Landing Zone training is still at Station 57, some of you might be in for a long drive...but its only one day. 57 is in Kenansville which is about 45 miles or so from Kissimmee. Its our furthest Southeast Station.

As for you saying its a long drive to Osceola bro...its a long drive for a lot of us. I am about a half hour from the closest station and there are guys who live 2-3 hours away from the closest station to them so if you want this bad enough, you will do this and the drive will become second nature. As you know there are not a lot of options out there right now, so either suck it up or leave the opportunity to someone who really wants it. Not to sound like an *****, but it is what it is and anyone else I am sure would tell you the same.

Good Luck, hope this helps...

Forum Member

I have also heard that the written test will be a joint test by our training dept. and CFFA given at TECO. The PAT will be done at CFFA Orlando because they need the drill tower and maze. This is through the grapevine. All subject to change as always lol.

Thread Information