Thread: Osceola Hiring

  1. #76
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    My letter says written then practical, i am guessing that's the cpat or pat which ever they do. I live in wpb and the drive well its for the greatest job in the world so always worth it. I just finished medic take my state exam the day after testing. I called and asked if I should submit my AS degrees I have both ems and fire science and was told by Hr that it would be a wise choice for me to do so. It seems a lot of depts are looking more and more for degrees than exp. But who I am I to say so. Funny thing is tuesday got a call from a dept I applied with last year offering me a spot but its a safer grant so i figured it won't hurt to throw my name in here. Good luck to everyone testing.

  2. #77
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I have to agree with e10 on the special classes they MIGHT add into the orientation. It ALWAYS looks nice to have those classes, but a brand new firefighter with no experience has a LOT of information to absorb in his/her first year and I am strongly opposed to this. I was hired almost 3 years ago as a new firefighter and 5 years EMS experience. I will tell you that first of all, all the material they taught our orientation class which was 9 weeks was SQUEEZED in and we actually ran over by a few days. I have NO CLUE how they would be able to teach the basics and then add in weeks worth of classes in addition. Your "probie" packet alone is a pretty good sized binder that keeps you very busy on top of running calls and station duties and training that we do monthly. Then if your a medic, you are looking at 20 shifts minimum of precepting and having to learn protocols. Then getting ready for your probie test at your one year mark. I just think its more appropriate to season the green guys first then get into the special stuff later. BUT, if they choose to give you the classes, well, it definately is a nice perk.

    Good Luck to all once again!

  3. #78
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Oh and we received an email yesterday that states from the Chief that we are hiring AT LEAST 16. So I am guessing 18-20. Just a guess though.

  4. #79
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Hartman View Post
    My letter says written then practical, i am guessing that's the cpat or pat which ever they do. I live in wpb and the drive well its for the greatest job in the world so always worth it. I just finished medic take my state exam the day after testing. I called and asked if I should submit my AS degrees I have both ems and fire science and was told by Hr that it would be a wise choice for me to do so. It seems a lot of depts are looking more and more for degrees than exp. But who I am I to say so. Funny thing is tuesday got a call from a dept I applied with last year offering me a spot but its a safer grant so i figured it won't hurt to throw my name in here. Good luck to everyone testing.


    ahemmmm...what the? What exactly was the point of this post? To show the internet world you have degrees and therefore are above all else? Because that is the way it comes across. There was absolutely NO point to this thread whatsoever, other than self gratification...Heres a reality check....NO BODY CARES....sheesh..

  5. #80
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    129

    Default

    [QUOTE=e10pvmt;1296138]If you have a chance of getting a job its always worth a try....especially in this job climate....as for working around your schedule i highly doubt it....how far are you from being done....when i was hired 5 years ago we had a guy in medic school. He was able to transfer to evenings and worked around it....it was difficult but he did it....there is no real way to work around your school schedule since the orientation is a m-f 8-whenever gig[/QU

    Well im only in P1 and just started clinicals. Just trying to imagine fitting in a medic/orientation schedule together doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Thx for the input.

  6. #81
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    ahemmmm...what the? What exactly was the point of this post? To show the internet world you have degrees and therefore are above all else? Because that is the way it comes across. There was absolutely NO point to this thread whatsoever, other than self gratification...Heres a reality check....NO BODY CARES....sheesh..
    Was just putting it out there as a possible reason you may have not.received a letter to test. But if you wanna get your panties in a bunch about it then be my guest. Would like to see where in there I.stated i was above anyone else.

  7. #82
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    I'm just throwing this out there, I don't know what others here may about degrees / no degrees, etc... But I have a 4 yr degree and I'm under the impression it really wont help me out too much, especially since it's not fire/ems related.


    Quote Originally Posted by John Hartman View Post
    Was just putting it out there as a possible reason you may have not.received a letter to test. But if you wanna get your panties in a bunch about it then be my guest. Would like to see where in there I.stated i was above anyone else.

  8. #83
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    I'm just throwing this out there, I don't know what others here may about degrees / no degrees, etc... But I have a 4 yr degree and I'm under the impression it really wont help me out too much, especially since it's not fire/ems related.
    Well i am new to applying in the central Florida market. Nut down here I have seen apps that req a AS degree and know of other departments where a AS degree will put you ahead of some one else when push comes to shove. If i offended any body i apologize only going off.of the exp I have had as of lately.

  9. #84
    Floater for life!!

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Brandon, fl
    Posts
    74

    Default

    [QUOTE=charlie40720007;1296244]
    Quote Originally Posted by e10pvmt View Post
    If you have a chance of getting a job its always worth a try....especially in this job climate....as for working around your schedule i highly doubt it....how far are you from being done....when i was hired 5 years ago we had a guy in medic school. He was able to transfer to evenings and worked around it....it was difficult but he did it....there is no real way to work around your school schedule since the orientation is a m-f 8-whenever gig[/QU

    Well im only in P1 and just started clinicals. Just trying to imagine fitting in a medic/orientation schedule together doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Thx for the input.
    Where are you going to school? Since your in P1 there may be a way to postpone your program for orientation then pick up in the next class where you left off....taht of course is up to the school and most programs will hopefully understand what your tryin to do....if it were me and i had a job offer i would rather quit and restart in a few months than not take the job

  10. #85
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    279

    Default

    [QUOTE=John Hartman;1296249]Was just putting it out there as a possible reason you may have not.received a letter to test. But if you wanna get your panties in a bunch about it then be my guest. Would like to see where in there I.stated i was above anyone else.[/QUOTE




    If you go back and read ur post, and pretend you are someone else reading, you will see that u were 100 percent. Just talking about yourself, like someone who likes to hear themself talk about themself. I just see that a lot on these forums...like people trying to show everyone in internet world how much they have "accomplished"......"ohhh well I've got this degree and that degree and oh by the way I think there looking at degrees more but well what do I know and I'm also in medic school blahblahblahblah"........it just gets old

  11. #86
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Longwood, FL
    Posts
    43

    Default

    sooo how about that test huh?
    Wasn't too bad, did they say they would call the top 50 or would they contact everyone regardless and give us our scores??

  12. #87
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Hartman View Post
    Well i am new to applying in the central Florida market. Nut down here I have seen apps that req a AS degree and know of other departments where a AS degree will put you ahead of some one else when push comes to shove. If i offended any body i apologize only going off.of the exp I have had as of lately.
    You're really proud of your educational accomplishments to post it in 2 other threads, eh? What departments have you applied for that required an AS degree? I've tested throughout FL and TX and have only seen 2 departments that had that requirement. The majority of the time a medic license, vet status or prior experience have gotten the job from what I have seen.

  13. #88
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc the Shark View Post
    sooo how about that test huh?
    Wasn't too bad, did they say they would call the top 50 or would they contact everyone regardless and give us our scores??
    They told us that HR would contact those who made the top 50 so they could register for the practical/physical.

  14. #89
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Ok guys go ahead and blast away. I got big shoulders and can carry anything u boys got. Delray beach only got a interview if u had a degree. Winter garden required aa or as. Palm beach gardens as in fire science or ems got u to.the top of the list. Wpbfr if u wanna b anything more than a fire medic u need a degree oh yea having one also guarantee interview. If they meant nothing and mo one cared they wouldn't have them.Yes I'm proud of them busted my *** to get them. And everyone of us should strive to learn more and advance. But its cool blast away boys

  15. #90
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Took the 1230 test. I was kinda blown away seeing what some people wore. T shirts that they sweated through, shorts, tennis shoes, etc. Dress like you want the damn job, not like you're walking in off the street!
    I got 1962 question only because I knew what it wasn't lol. I just don't have a good feeling though. We will see.......
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  16. #91
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Took the 1230 test. I was kinda blown away seeing what some people wore. T shirts that they sweated through, shorts, tennis shoes, etc. Dress like you want the damn job, not like you're walking in off the street!
    I got 1962 question only because I knew what it wasn't lol. I just don't have a good feeling though. We will see.......
    How about 87. How many attempts can a EMT basic make to drop a et tube.

  17. #92
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Took the 1230 test. I was kinda blown away seeing what some people wore. T shirts that they sweated through, shorts, tennis shoes, etc. Dress like you want the damn job, not like you're walking in off the street!
    I got 1962 question only because I knew what it wasn't lol. I just don't have a good feeling though. We will see.......
    Trust me...I am not sure who gave the test, but im sure notes were taken on those who dressed like slobs. I am surprised to hear that being how hard this market is for jobs to begin with.

  18. #93
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Took the 1230 test. I was kinda blown away seeing what some people wore. T shirts that they sweated through, shorts, tennis shoes, etc. Dress like you want the damn job, not like you're walking in off the street!
    I got 1962 question only because I knew what it wasn't lol. I just don't have a good feeling though. We will see.......
    I wish the County held that into consideration...blue jeans, shorts, even saw a guy in flip flops.

  19. #94
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Longwood, FL
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Hartman View Post
    How about 87. How many attempts can a EMT basic make to drop a et tube.
    I put 2 times... But I don't remember that the book said anything about how many times... I thought it was 30 seconds... If within 30 seconds you don't get it then you try something else...

  20. #95
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    277

    Default

    An EMT Dropping a tube? I don't know about your protocols, but for us EMTs aren't allowed to tube.

  21. #96
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Longwood, FL
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    An EMT Dropping a tube? I don't know about your protocols, but for us EMTs aren't allowed to tube.
    Talking combitube or king tubes.

  22. #97
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Hartman View Post
    How about 87. How many attempts can a EMT basic make to drop a et tube.
    In my Rescue? 0!! Go to medic school! lol. I put 1 though, cause 0 wasn't an option.

    I hope notes were taken of who showed up like a bum, and who wore buisness attire. I can not stand dressing in anything other then shorts and sandals, but for a job, I'll wear a damn tuxedo if it makes me look better!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  23. #98
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Hartman View Post
    Ok guys go ahead and blast away. I got big shoulders and can carry anything u boys got. Delray beach only got a interview if u had a degree. Winter garden required aa or as. Palm beach gardens as in fire science or ems got u to.the top of the list. Wpbfr if u wanna b anything more than a fire medic u need a degree oh yea having one also guarantee interview. If they meant nothing and mo one cared they wouldn't have them.Yes I'm proud of them busted my *** to get them. And everyone of us should strive to learn more and advance. But its cool blast away boys
    John Hartman,

    When you're talking about an AA or AS degree... do you mean an AA or AS in anything? Of are you speaking of fire/ems related AA/AS degrees?

  24. #99
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Yea, um, when the hell does an EMT drop a TUBE!? The question didn't SAY combitube OR kingtube, it said ENDOTRACHEAL tube...that was a BS question for sure....

  25. #100
    Floater for life!!

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Brandon, fl
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Ok so its only heresay but from a reliable source so to speak...but in addition to the usual firefighter orientation stuff, this group will also receive vmr, rope ops, and truck ops. No 100% confirmation...and I myself find it very dissapointing someone would show up in jeans for a job and I really hope someon noticed....not sure if HR administered the test but if there was any FD ops personnel I would hope dress would have been taken into account

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. An end to KSAs and a start to quicker hiring?
    By ShredddinCali in forum Federal & Military Firehouse Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 10:19 AM
  2. Polk & Osceola open joint Station in Poinciana
    By captstanm1 in forum Florida
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 08:29 PM
  3. Stamford FD hiring practices
    By Whaler in forum Connecticut
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 10:19 AM
  4. Another Massachusetts hiring lawsuit
    By billjonz in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 01:55 PM
  5. Fla--Polk & Osceola Counties Open Joint Station on County Line
    By captstanm1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register