Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Osceola Hiring

Forum Member

What would be considered appropriate attire? Khakis and a polo shirt I am assuming. (???)

Quote Originally Posted by e10pvmt View Post
    Ok so its only heresay but from a reliable source so to speak...but in addition to the usual firefighter orientation stuff, this group will also receive vmr, rope ops, and truck ops. No 100% confirmation...and I myself find it very dissapointing someone would show up in jeans for a job and I really hope someon noticed....not sure if HR administered the test but if there was any FD ops personnel I would hope dress would have been taken into account

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    What would be considered appropriate attire? Khakis and a polo shirt I am assuming. (???)
    Suit, tie, polished shoes, clean shaven, hair done neatly.
    Seriously.

I used to wear a suit just to drop off my application. I think the only time I wore jeans and a t shirt was for the Miami-Dade test, when I took it in a convention center with over 2,000 people. I think I only saw one suit there.

Floater for life!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Suit, tie, polished shoes, clean shaven, hair done neatly.
    Seriously.

I used to wear a suit just to drop off my application. I think the only time I wore jeans and a t shirt was for the Miami-Dade test, when I took it in a convention center with over 2,000 people. I think I only saw one suit there.
    Agreed!! an old saying rings true....you only get one chance to make a first impression

Forum Member

Any updates?

Forum Member

Not to get off topic, this is something that was talked about earlier. Anyhow... Earlier this morning, I did see a FF job posted in Central FL area (Witer Garden FD) and it did say that a 2 yr degree is required. I believe that's the first time I've seen that. Not to say that there aren't many others with the requirement.

Do they mean an AA or AS in Fire Science or EMS, or do they mean an AA or AS in anything?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hartman View Post
    Ok guys go ahead and blast away. I got big shoulders and can carry anything u boys got. Delray beach only got a interview if u had a degree. Winter garden required aa or as. Palm beach gardens as in fire science or ems got u to.the top of the list. Wpbfr if u wanna b anything more than a fire medic u need a degree oh yea having one also guarantee interview. If they meant nothing and mo one cared they wouldn't have them.Yes I'm proud of them busted my *** to get them. And everyone of us should strive to learn more and advance. But its cool blast away boys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVTxDUDE View Post
    Any updates?
    My buddy and I both got called. pretty stoked

Passedwaiting for CFFA to call me back to schedule the rest.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Guess I didn't make the cut, never got a call. Good luck to all who are moving on. I wish they would release the scores because I know I did good on that test.

Forum Member

I'm curious about my score too.. I really only care that I made it but apparently the highest grade was 89...

Forum Member

We knew the training Lt. From standards and my buddy asked him.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    ..........what I meant to ask as well in my last post was this....

I've been in the field for 9 years. My EMS practical skills (test/bookwise) might be a little rusty. Any heads up on the type of scenarios we might face would be greatly appreciated.

I remember the "big three" type physical stuff, making sure to say LEFT HAND TURN and CHECKING FOR OVERHEAD OBSTRUCTIONS ect. I got all that.

You guys thinking its going to be a "rapid trauma assessment" type scenario, or just ANYTHING related to your cert level?

gotta polish the ole testing skills
    If this test is like any of the ones I had taken in the past at CFFA it will be...

Station One - EMS: Applicant, while wearing full protective clothing except the SCBA, helmet and fire fighting gloves, will perform a primary and secondary survey of a trauma victim (manikin). Each applicant will be tested at the level of highest EMS training certification held. The applicant must be able to kneel to perform each task at ground level.

Station Two - Search / Rescue / SCBA: The candidate will perform a timed SCBA donning exercise for preparation to perform a search and rescue evolution. Entry will then be made into a maze, which will have minimum lighting, and applicant will demonstrate a basic search pattern within a furnished room and demonstrate a standard method of removing the victim. Applicant will exit the maze and continue to next station.

Station Three - Ladder: Applicant will lift and carry a standard 24-foot extension ladder approximately 50 feet, raise the ladder and extend the fly section. The applicant will then prepare and secure the ladder for climbing - all while wearing full bunker gear and SCBA.

Station Four - Equipment Relay: Applicant will lift and carry a hose bundle of 100 feet of dry 1 ĺ inch fire hose, and move it from a standard location at ground level to a designated location on the third floor of the training tower, where it is to be placed on the floor. The applicant will then pick up the same bundle of hose and carry it back down the stairs to the ground floor. Applicant will place the hose bundle in the original location and continue to the next station - all while wearing full bunker gear and SCBA.

Station Five - Hose Drag: Applicant will lift from the ground and advance a charged 1 ĺ inch hose line with the nozzle a distance of 100 feet, to a designated location. The applicant will then operate the nozzle with 100-psi nozzle pressure and direct the stream to knock down 3 cones - all while wearing full bunker gear and SCBA.

That is straight off their site.

When I took the EMS portion it was in 2 parts.

1st part - Head/Torso manikin, Patient was not breathing, GO. My end result was I started with the obvious A,B,C's, bagged, OPA, unsuccessful. Combitube/LMA, bagged, successful.

2nd part - Full manikin, rapid trauma assessment head to toe, hit all your benchmarks and you're golden.

Now I was an EMT when I took this test so medics may have a different scenario with the 1st part, maybe decompression, cric, mentioning IVs, who knows. Above my level

Forum Member

Here is the tentative schedule for orientation. Remember...its always subject to change.

Tentative Schedule:
    Week #1 October 17-October 21 ADMINSTRATIVE TRAINING
    Week #2 October 24-October 28 HOSE EVOLUTIONS
    Week #3 October 31-November 4 ROPE OPERATIONS
    Week #4 November 7-November 11 FIREFIGHTER SURVIVAL/EMS
    Week #5 November 14-November 18 EXTRICATION
    Week #6 November 21-November 25 SEARCH AND RESCUE
    Week #7 November 28-December 2 TRUCK OPERATIONS
    Week #8 December 5-December 9 BURN DAYS

Floater for life!!

Burns will of course be CFFA, Ropes most likely there as well, Extrication will probably be Osceola Auto Salvage, Survival, S & R, Truck will probably be at our aquired structure behind OHP, Admin and EMS is a no brainer, and trench for me was at road and bridge south of Kissimmee.

And spoke to a trining Capt in CPR today and it doesnt look like EMS qulaification matters....just the best of the best i guess...but if you are a medic you may be waiting till sometime next year before you can start precepting.....this is just a possibilty and not confirmed though

Forum Member

Smile

The guys who make the cut are lucky to have December Truck Ops. Nice and cool out. I want that class, maybe I can squeeze in

Forum Member

October 17th will be here sooner than we think. Good Luck to all testing this weekend.

Floater for life!!

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    hehehe, nice and cool in December....

Thats like 60-70 here right?

Nice and cool, MUCH better than freezing your arse off!

...and by EMS not "mattering" you mean they're not going specifically for medics right. Some idiots on here (looks around) might have though you meant you can botch the EMS portion of the new hire skill test at CFFA.... I have no idea who might have thought that.... no idea at all. <.< >.>
    correct....i was refferring to EMS qualification....eg....pm vs emt

on a side note i found out last night i apparently went to high school with you....lol

Test on Saturday AM at 1100. Good luck to everyone.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I just spoke with HR.
    They will find out our test scores by 1 pm today, and will then make phone calls to the top 20 candidates for an oral interview to be scheduled this Thursday and Friday. She also said by the end of Friday, the top 18 candidates will be notified of their conditional offer. Then we are going to be scheduled for our pre employment drug screening and physical for Monday, the 10th.
    The written test is weighted at 30%
    The NHST is 60%
    The Oral interview is 10%
    The start date was also pushed back until Monday the 24th to give everyone enough time to put their 2 week notice in.

Forum Member

Thanks for the update!

Forum Member

Update:

Results still haven't been released.
    Everyone still on Standby...

Thread Information