Water Hammer

Default N.N.F.D. Virginia

Just wanted to start a thread for the Newport News Virginia hiring process that will be starting soon. I made it through the panel interview about 2 yrs ago. I will be taking the written on Sept. 9, 2011. Anyone have any insight into the new written test?? How the process is run now??

Forum Member

I was wondering what the CPS Questionnaire is? Something for the polygraph maybe? If anyone could give some insight on that I would appreciate it. I looked on the prep guide and the website of the company that makes the test, but could not find anything related to that. Signed up and ready to go!! Took the test last fall, but never recieved an interview after I passed the physical agility test. Hopefully this time it will go better.. Good luck to everyone and stay safe!

Forum Member

Does anyone know when the academy for NNFD is supposed to start?

Water Hammer

Potential hire in January 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Hammer View Post
    Anyone have any insight into the new written test?? How the process is run now??
    The written test is nothing like what you did last time. There is an entrance reading test. After you take it and get scored, if you were too low, you're done. You'll take the main test after that. It is much more in depth than the very basic test you took a few years ago. No advanced algebra or anything crazy, just harder than your last go. Lastly, you'll do the CPS portion.

In general, the process is pretty similar. There is only one extra step I believe. It is interview-ish in nature. It does not replace the panel interview you take later though. You'll need to do both.
    Last edited by FFVa; 09-02-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 8truckie3 View Post
    I was wondering what the CPS Questionnaire is?
    It is somewhat like a personality test. I believe it stands for Candidate Profile Summary. There are a bunch of random questions. Some are like, "Have you ever done whatever in this or that type of situation?" They are just trying to get a feel for you basically.

Save yourself a hassle and tell the truth when you take it though. There is a very good possibility that some or much of what is on there will come up later in the process.

Water Hammer

thanks for the info. any idea how many they are looking to hire??? I made it through the panel interview last time. I tanked that. This time I am much more prepared for what lies ahead.

Water Hammer

So, it looks like the CPS portion of the test is actually like a psych test built in to the written portion of the test. I've taken tests like this before. Any idea why they changed the whole written portion of the test?? Were they getting people and having problems with them not making it through the academy?? Or is this just to whittle down the number farther earlier on in the process???

Forum Member

thanks for the info. any idea how many they are looking to hire??? I made it through the panel interview last time. I tanked that. This time I am much more prepared for what lies ahead.
    No idea on the number they are looking to hire. My guess is they would not start a new class with less than 10 or 12. The last class hired 19. Good luck!

Forum Member

So, it looks like the CPS portion of the test is actually like a psych test built in to the written portion of the test. I've taken tests like this before. Any idea why they changed the whole written portion of the test?? Were they getting people and having problems with them not making it through the academy?? Or is this just to whittle down the number farther earlier on in the process???
    I'm not sure what prompted the change in format, but to be fair, the old written test of 100 multiple choice questions was super easy and very, very old. This is only the second time they have used the new test setup. Anyway, it should offer a little more challenge for potential candidates and also give them an insight into the individual's personality with the CPS portion.

Forum Member

GL everybody in the process! I'm a recruit with nn and if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm and I'll answer as best as I can!

Forum Member

frbartron- Hey im currently in TRFA. Are you in your EMT-I class?
    Last edited by brandon1112; 09-11-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Forum Member

Brandon, That I am. Are you with nnfd or one of the other jurisdictions?

Water Hammer

I took the test on friday. I think everything went ok. Not that bad of a written. My packet is all filled out, just waiting on WI DMV to get my driving profile to me so that I can ship it off via certified mail either this week or early next.

Water Hammer

I just hope this go around goes better than the last one. Much more confident in my interview skills than I was last time though. I actually know what to expect and how to answer questions. It's alot of driving but, it will all be worth it if I can get on the dept. My wife is really hoping so too, alot of x-ray tech jobs on the military bases in the area. She wants to work on a military base so badly. We both love the area and would so enjoy living in the south. If I don't have to see snow from Dec.-Apr. again that would be way to soon.

Forum Member

I just hope this go around goes better than the last one. Much more confident in my interview skills than I was last time though. I actually know what to expect and how to answer questions. It's alot of driving but, it will all be worth it if I can get on the dept. My wife is really hoping so too, alot of x-ray tech jobs on the military bases in the area. She wants to work on a military base so badly. We both love the area and would so enjoy living in the south. If I don't have to see snow from Dec.-Apr. again that would be way to soon.
    Well, best of luck. The interview process is your chance to shine, so it's great you've been working on that. It's one of the most overlooked parts of the process that people don't really prepare for.

Water Hammer

Has anybody heard anything from recruiting?? I sent in my info packet, it arrived on Monday. Just wondering how this works. Do they contact us after they recieve our packets and if we passed the written?? Any help is appreciated.

Forum Member

Has anybody heard anything from recruiting?? I sent in my info packet, it arrived on Monday. Just wondering how this works. Do they contact us after they recieve our packets and if we passed the written?? Any help is appreciated.
    They won't contact you after they receive your packet. I'm guessing you had delivery confirmation since you know it arrived on Monday. Anyway, you actually won't be told your written test score or anything. They will just call you if you're invited to the physical agility test, which shouldn't be long since those are coming up. My guess is they might be making calls early next week.

Water Hammer

Ok, thanks ritchey. kind of like the last time then. Just called today and they said they haven't even started scheduling physicals yet. I'm not really all that concerned about the written or the physical. The one I'm most concerned about is the video interview. I've done a few of those, and they are just wierd. Sitting in front of a tv playing scenarios that you need to answer questions to whith a video camera in the room. I would much rather talk to live people in a panel interview scenario. Well, guess I just have to pass the video one, then impress the panel if and when I get there.

Forum Member

If it's anything like the last time, you get a ton of time for each question. Take the first minute and compose your thoughts. Look for the key aspects of the question, figure out what they are looking for, and THEN answer the question. Do that, and you'll be fine.

One step at a time, though.

Forum Member

I took the previous test they gave out..when I took the video scenario portion they gave the panel interview immediately after. The Panel Interview consisted of one NNFD Officer. If I can give any info. it would be to be as descriptive as you can when questions are asked. I was asked if I had any volunteer Fire experience and I answered that I had 5 years experience as a medic and FireFighter. I answered the question very generally with a one sentence answer expecting to get hit with a bunch more questions but that was all they asked. I believe this is where I messed up big time. The were only 3 scenario videos which i thought were pretty easy. Just thought I would put this out there hope it helps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EBHFD68 View Post
    I took the previous test they gave out..when I took the video scenario portion they gave the panel interview immediately after. The Panel Interview consisted of one NNFD Officer.
    That actually wasn't the panel interview. That was the CPS interview. If they had any questions from the CPS portion of the written exam, you sit down with the officer and answer those.

The panel interview will have somewhere around 6-8 people and is a later step.

Water Hammer

Has anyone gotten a call yet to schedule their P.A.T.?? Just wondering cause I have not heard anything as of yet. The written wasn't to bad, so I'm pretty sure that I passed that. And I know they got my candidate info. packet already.

Forum Member

Water-Hammer, I wouldn't get too worried. In the past, it's been highly unlikely for you to get kicked out of the process until the interview things. Just give them some time.

Water Hammer

Got my call this past week. I am scheduled for the PAT on friday, Oct. 7th for the morning session.

Thread Information