Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Thread: Repacking LDH

  1. #21
    Forum Member FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    You guys are awesome!!!! Learned a few things on this post, which helped me out alot today.

    I've never really paid attention to the loading of the LDH. I usually need just need one section for this or that. Now (today) we are doing our third party aerial inspection. With that said, I had to lay one 100' section from the pumper to the aerial, but had to lay 400' from a hydrant to the pumper. (don't ask)

    Before pulling the LDH, I looked at how it was laid, remembering MG3's pics. Ours are the same. If it wasn't for his pics, I would have more than likely loaded it back up wrong.

    Thanks for the education.... AGAIN!!!

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."


  2. #22
    Forum Member footrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Porterdale, GA
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    If you do it right you dont need the hangar to hold it in at all.
    You don't need it to hold it in, but you need it to keep it neat. It will stay in indefinitely, but it will not stay neat for long, no matter how you load it.

  3. #23
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by footrat View Post
    You don't need it to hold it in, but you need it to keep it neat. It will stay in indefinitely, but it will not stay neat for long, no matter how you load it.
    Around here we worry about fighting fire, not how neat it looks.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  4. #24
    Forum Member footrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Porterdale, GA
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Around here we worry about fighting fire, not how neat it looks.
    Around here, we pay attention to detail. There is something to be said for company pride. If all you worry about is fighting fire, then you probably don't fight much of it. Departments that fight fire don't have to worry about it. They wait for it. In the meantime, having well maintained equipment is a sign of dedication to the job. You can talk like a fire-slaying jake on the internet all you want. I don't have shiny boots or the sharpest uniform. But my apparatus is a direct reflection of the pride I take in being a driver. I strive for mastery of my craft. Taking the extra three minutes to make sure the 5" is loaded properly, and the extra 3 seconds to snap a fan hanger in place aren't going too far out of the way to show the public and other companies that you care about the little things. But what would I know? I'm not a real jake like you.

  5. #25
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,353

    Default

    I stand by my statement that if you pack it correctly you dont need the hangar to keep it neat. You must be doing something wrong. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, please dont hit me with your purse.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  6. #26
    Forum Member sfd1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Around here we worry about fighting fire, not how neat it looks.
    The two can, and should, go hand in hand.

    The Marines place a lot of emphasis attention to detail, and looking squared away (neat). They do ok in combat as well.

    I agree that if you load it properly, there's no need to hold it in place with a fan hanger, I've never heard that one before.

    Back to the original topic, if more than a section or two is laid out, we will drive over it to repack it. Our load is finished by folding the end of the last section back on itself, and wrapping a piece of webbing around it.
    Last edited by sfd1992; 09-21-2011 at 03:03 PM.

  7. #27
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sfd1992 View Post
    The Marines place a lot of emphasis attention to detail, and looking squared away (neat).
    Ask me sometime about the fire apparatus of the USMC outfit at the Military Installation I worked at as a Federal FF once upon a time.....And how many U-Joints, steering components, drag links, spring shackles, etc that had to be replaced by the motor pool due to zero lubrication.....due to "looking squared away" via blasting with pressure washer numerous times.............

    I guess there is a difference between "looking squared away" and looking neat. You can look neat by packing the hose right the first time. I know many, many companies that deal with 5" and have never used the bar, and their hose always looks good. I for one would not want to deal with the bar at 0330 with the back step all covered with ice and snow....especially when all I have to do is grab the hydrant valve and the loop of webbing and give a yank. If using the bar makes you sleep better, than all the power to you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  8. #28
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Conn.
    Posts
    73

    Default

    A couple of other things to add. Since we do a complete inventory every Saturday down the band aids in the trauma kit, it makes it easy to count the lengths of hose in the bed with the couplings all loaded in the front of the bed. And to be super anal, the latches should all be on the same side of the couplings, and facing up so they can be checked that they are all indeed coupled. Why do the latches belong on the same side? It makes it MUCH easier to uncouple and break the supply line if you need to use the wrenches if the latches are on the same side instead of 180 degrees apart.
    Leroy140 Fairfield, CT Local 1426

  9. #29
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy140 View Post
    A couple of other things to add. Since we do a complete inventory every Saturday down the band aids in the trauma kit, it makes it easy to count the lengths of hose in the bed with the couplings all loaded in the front of the bed. And to be super anal, the latches should all be on the same side of the couplings, and facing up so they can be checked that they are all indeed coupled. Why do the latches belong on the same side? It makes it MUCH easier to uncouple and break the supply line if you need to use the wrenches if the latches are on the same side instead of 180 degrees apart.
    Agreed on the latches being next to each other. However we prefer them to be to the side. Reason is, that way there's no chance of the latches hitting the pavement and unlatching. Granted, this has not happened to us in a long time. But with our first generation LDH, we had some of the very first locking couplings made, and those ones, albeit rarely, did have that problem. Almost reminded one of Jones Snap couplings.

  10. #30
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Almost reminded one of Jones Snap couplings.
    And I bet no one here except maybe some of the older guys who are located within close proximity to the Philadelphia area even know what Jones Snap couplings are...............
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  11. #31
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Conn.
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Chief, if they are positioned on top, how would they hit the ground? The hose pays out straight, since the couplings are all oriented the same way, so they don't have to flip before going out of the bed?
    Leroy140 Fairfield, CT Local 1426

  12. #32
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy140 View Post
    Chief, if they are positioned on top, how would they hit the ground? The hose pays out straight, since the couplings are all oriented the same way, so they don't have to flip before going out of the bed?
    No doubt you're right there. The stuff we had 'way back (beginning late '89 into 1990 did some funny things. If you had the latches opposite one another, all bets were off.

  13. #33
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    And I bet no one here except maybe some of the older guys who are located within close proximity to the Philadelphia area even know what Jones Snap couplings are...............
    Right again. Just think though. If we flat packed hose then instead of accordion or horseshoe, they might not have popped open.

  14. #34
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Right again. Just think though. If we flat packed hose then instead of accordion or horseshoe, they might not have popped open.
    I wasn't around back then to suggest it, you were. And until I get 600 or 800 feet of 2.5" with JS couplings it still will not be my problem!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  15. #35
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I wasn't around back then to suggest it, you were. And until I get 600 or 800 feet of 2.5" with JS couplings it still will not be my problem!
    Good LUCK with that. JS went the way of the DoDo after locking stortz. MIGHT find some in the Philly archives.Camden had 'em but I'll bet they are LONG gone now. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-17-2011 at 05:13 PM.

  16. #36
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Good LUCK with that. JS went the way of the DoDo after locking stortz. MIGHT find some in the Philly archives.Camden had 'em but I'll bet they are LONG gone now. T.C.
    Chiefengineer11 has about 20 sets of couplings (or so) with the hose cut off in his garage......Really corroded and nasty, but they are there.....Would just have to de-corrode them and put em on some hose. Want them for the antique. Also need the elbows for the discharges.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  17. #37
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Chiefengineer11 has about 20 sets of couplings (or so) with the hose cut off in his garage......Really corroded and nasty, but they are there.....Would just have to de-corrode them and put em on some hose. Want them for the antique. Also need the elbows for the discharges.

    But do you still have the key?

  18. #38
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Truck_3 View Post
    But do you still have the key?
    Have a few of them, too, never used. But a modified flat screwdriver works just as well. That's what I was given when I came on.

  19. #39
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Have a few of them, too, never used. But a modified flat screwdriver works just as well. That's what I was given when I came on.
    Got any COAL left? Oats? Hehe T.C.

  20. #40
    Forum Member Weruj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    7,857

    Default

    on a more serious note .....last night we did our annual hose testing..and repacked as MG indicated ........oh my ............it went back in much better and left us more room in the bed.........sometimes you CAN learn something after 24 years if ya shut up and pay some attention. THANKS for the GREAT idea !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Grant Info for Large Diameter Hose
    By brvolk in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2006, 03:24 PM
  2. Water Thiefs and LDH Manifolds
    By 42VTExplorer in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 12:13 AM
  3. Pumping LDH
    By WBFD324 in forum The Engineer
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 05:13 PM
  4. Ldh
    By firemanjmp80 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 10:38 PM
  5. LDH planning and usage - longlay
    By neiowa in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 10:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts